Fiskars-Another Believer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as wood is short and straight the fiskars will tackle it start getting into nasty stuff or knots or twists or woods like elm your going to be hacking your brains out

No, the Fiskars will tackle average wood for most folks, at least in my area -- not just the short or straight stuff. The short and straight stuff I can do with an even lighter, shorter hatchet.

When you get into nasty stuff, knots, twists, and elm it'll suck as much as any other hand tool, except most weigh more so you'll tire yourself out sooner hacking your brains out.

That stuff might be more common if you're always cutting up fence row trees or house lot trees, but here I mostly cut stuff from a woodlot and very little needs to get noodled to be manageable by hand tools. And the largest hand tool I use is a Fiskars Super Splitter (the older version of the X25).

I've had my x27 for a few weeks now. My initial impression was very positive. First swing it sailed through the round and scuffed the very tip slightly. Clearly it required less effort than the old maul (no doubt due in part to the less than new/slick condition of the maul).

I've had a hydraulic splitter for several years. It usually does the bulk of my splitting. Its great for a Saturday when you have a helper preferably to manage the flow. Not every splitting outing for me is an all day event. More often, I have an hour here or there. And in those cases dragging the hydraulic out of the shed through the snow isn't appealing. For those days the x27 shines. If you have a stump or a round big enough to mount a tire or two on, it's pretty rewarding.

The ease with which it passes through wood inspired me to do some much overdue sharpening of my old maul & even dress up the wedges. If we're honest splitting wood is tough and gets monotonous. Anything that makes tough work seem easier is welcome in my world.

It made a great addition to my arsenal. I like it so much I may well add an x25.

I'm not a huge believer in the friskars 27, buddy bought one and was bragging it up so I used it for awhile, it was okay. It probably has its place but I didn't like it enough to go out and buy one. I will stick with my monster maul, that takes one swing on most wood, never gets stuck, and can pound the occasional t post in when it needs to. I just found my wedges again, after 3 years of not being missed or needed. I can out split a log splitter with it on most kinds of wood. By far the best $10 I may have ever spent.

I found a X17 hatched on sale last week for $15 so I bought it. Although I really didnt need one, it does work well in the basement for splitting up some kindling to light a fire. And it does look kind of cool. Then today as cabin fever was setting in, I decided to take a drive into town. And what did I happen to run into? The X17's big brother, the X27. Well you know what happened next, I did try it out on some oak splits I have in my wood shed. Naturally they split good. But tomorrow I will trek through almost 3 feet of snow to a huge pile of rounds that are just waiting to be split. And give the 27 a christening. Being 99% of my firewood is red oak and ash I'm expecting this ax to the ticket. But it will be a test because alot of the oak rounds are 20+ inches. And most are too heavy to lift onto my splitter so it was always my intent to crack them in half first. I'll give a report tomorrow.

I found a X17 hatched on sale last week for $15 so I bought it. Although I really didnt need one, it does work well in the basement for splitting up some kindling to light a fire. And it does look kind of cool. Then today as cabin fever was setting in, I decided to take a drive into town. And what did I happen to run into? The X17's big brother, the X27. Well you know what happened next, I did try it out on some oak splits I have in my wood shed. Naturally they split good. But tomorrow I will trek through almost 3 feet of snow to a huge pile of rounds that are just waiting to be split. And give the 27 a christening. Being 99% of my firewood is red oak and ash I'm expecting this ax to the ticket. But it will be a test because alot of the oak rounds are 20+ inches. And most are too heavy to lift onto my splitter so it was always my intent to crack them in half first. I'll give a report tomorrow.

X27 will bust rounds that size in half but only wit a lot of repeated strikes. Going around the outside of the round is probably a better use of the tool.

Harry K

I used my x27 to split 15 inch oak the other day and it only required a couple hits at most to split in half. Might require a few more hits to split 20 inch or bigger. I'm curious though if you have the x27 why some folks go out and get the x25.

Ok, call me crazy but I did what I promised. First I had to fire up the bobcat to plow a 1/4 mile path thru the woods to my pile of rounds. Then I cleared a open area to work and got as much snow away from the pile as possible. Then I pushed up the pile of rounds with the bucket to free them up from being froze together. Now I had room to work, took the bobcat home and grabbed the x27 and walked into the woods. The wind howling, temps falling into single digits from a high of 38 yesterday, where it will bottom out in the -20's tonight.

I started off with some 10-12" red oak (90% of the pile). The ax drove right through these in a single hit, as I thought it would, red oak splits pretty easily. Moving into some 15's were not a problem either, some did take 2 or 3 hits depending on the chunk of wood. Some had multiple knots which meant hit placement is mandatory. The first 20 incher I busted through in a single hit, was pretty surprised. But most of the 20's did require 3-4 swings to fully crack in half. Once in half, dicing up was made easy. Overall, I did like what the x27 did. I never expected it to blow through any huge round in a single hit nor do I expect any splitting maul to do either. I like the fact that its lighter than my 8lb'er and I feel it worked better plus I didnt get as tired as I would have swinging a heavier maul. I wasnt swinging for a home run with each hit, sometimes I would anticipate a piece to split easy. So I would swing 1/2 speed, only to be shown who's the boss at times. But the real test will be when I have my buddy, "the human dinosaur", over to test the x27. He loves to split with a ax, and puts all 270lbs into each swing. The handle did get tested a few times, and now shows the battle scars below the head. I like the hook on the end of the handle it keeps both hands in the same spot when swinging.

Not trying to be asmart Alec but I always found Red oak splits very easy
Pops right apart with about any maul or axe

I agree flotec. oak is some of the easiest and most satisfying wood to split with a maul. practically explodes apart.

Same with ash and maple. One blow and it falls apart like oak. We are blessed with an abundance of all 3.

Latest posts

Back