Fix it or trash it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir, you have stepped into a bear trap! This saw is one of the most sought after (Husky) has ever maid.If your dealer knows anything about this model he may likely offer you a new or used saw for an even trade. Do NOT SELL this saw for anything less than $300. A complete carb rebuild is not a hard chore. I would get new gas lines, gas filter and carb kit. Do not let anyone sweet talk you out of this saw. Welcome to the site, Ken

$300 would be way too much for an out of date saw that has a possible trashed piston and an air leak.

:)
Sir, you have stepped into a bear trap! This saw is one of the most sought after (Husky) has ever maid.If your dealer knows anything about this model he may likely offer you a new or used saw for an even trade. Do NOT SELL this saw for anything less than $300. A complete carb rebuild is not a hard chore. I would get new gas lines, gas filter and carb kit. Do not let anyone sweet talk you out of this saw. Welcome to the site, Ken

Really?
This is the first chainsaw I have ever used or owned. When I purcased this at the dealer I looked at all the models on the rack and purchased the one that looked like my wife wouldn't try and use.
Before I stopped here I did a search on Flea-Bay. Several used parts to this model came up, one with the heading "Antique " I said to myself has it been that long.
Back in 1998 I built my house and purchased this saw within months of that.
Right now I am looking out my window and I can see the only work the saw has ever seen. Six or Seven stumps that held 30'-40' pines.
After leaving Flea-Bay, I assumed that there were no parts to be found for this guy anymore? I guess I will know in a bit, I'll give the dealer a call and see what he suggests.
Why is this saw so sought after?
I checked the Husky site and noticed that 372Xp model?
Quite a bit of talk on that model.....
Is this 272 better than that one?

Thanks so much for all of your help, great Forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
John do yourself a favor and keep that saw...it's an excellent saw hell 15hr it's just about broken in. That's when I brought my 272xp back to the dealer so he could fine tune it. btw I usually store my saws full of stabilized fuel, if I don't use it for awhile, which does happen occasionally I just dump out the old fuel and add some new.

the book says to store 'em dry cause they write books for worldwide distribution here in the northern latitudes gas doesn't go bad as fast as in the tropics so I store 'em wet/full that way all the rubber gaskets/hoses stay lubricated....but that a debate that will never end.

Last edited:
Alrighty,
I just got off the phone with the Husky dealer, and he also commented that this was one of the best Saws that they ever produced.

I had to ask about the 372XP, he said that it had about the same punch, a few updates, and a better air intake.

$769.00 for the 372 - no sales tax.

He then went on to say that a carb kit and fuel line would run $45.00 cash and carry, or $140.00 installed.

It sounded like they really don't like doing Carb kits, and would rather replace the carb. ( won't guarantee a kit )

I think he said a "Torsen" Carb at $135.00 and $65.00 to install.

My thoughts are to Goggle the Torsen and pop it into the intake myself.

Along with convincing myself that I need the 372XP too :clap:

welcome to AS jungle......how are you and that Sarah chic hitting it off????

as for repairing your saw, i would do as suggested and order the rebuild kit....take pics of the disassembly process so that you will know where all of those little pieces go....i am sure some one can provide you with a shop manual for this saw....and there are plenty of people on here who are always willing to offer help. a few of them will actually know what they are talking about and the others will luck up on the right answer, occassionally..................

This saw is not very hard to work on. Its maybe as difficult as doing a set of front disk brake pads. If you've never done it before it may seem daunting, but the fact is, the only special tool you'll need is a 4mm allen wrench. The rest of the tools are conventional (screwdrivers, needle-nose pliers, etc.)

Honestly, materials for this job will add up to MAYBE 30-40 bucks. This will buy you a carb kit ($10-13), fuel line (same), and a fuel filter ($5). If you take your time, lay things out nicely, do some cleaning as you go, the job may take you a morning. Someone who's done it all before will be able to do it inside an hour. Somehow, I'm always a bit more attached to things when they lend themselves to me working on them.

If you want to see how the thing comes apart go here....

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HIPL/HIPL2007/HIPL2007_5022411-01.pdf

There are many threads on this site for doing what your saw requires.

Last edited:
Not worth the hassle. PM me directions from Alton and I'll be right over to take this problem off your hands. The least I can do for a fellow Granite Stater. :)

Alrighty,
I just got off the phone with the Husky dealer, and he also commented that this was one of the best Saws that they ever produced.

I had to ask about the 372XP, he said that it had about the same punch, a few updates, and a better air intake.

He then went on to say that a carb kit and fuel line would run $45.00 cash and carry, or $140.00 installed.

It sounded like they really don't like doing Carb kits, and would rather replace the carb. ( won't guarantee a kit )

I think you can do better at Bailey's. http://www.baileysonline.com/.
I think you can get the whole carb for around 50 bucks and rebuild kits for less than 10, but you'll have to check. Just enter "272" in your seach words at Bailey's. You should try a tune up first. It sounds like you need it anyway.

I think the 372xp is a better saw than the 272xp due to the better air flow, but that's just and opion. The 272 is still a great saw. I've never ran one, so take my opion at that.

I seen a 272xp at my local dealer for 250, but it was rough. I almost brought it but it's too close to the 372xp IMO.

Alrighty,

Fish has offerd to fix the saw for cheap,,, chances are the carb is fine,,,,

just needs a good cleaning & a kit and new fuel lines.

,,, the carb is a Tillotson,,,,,,,, You can get the full kit for about 20.00-25 bucks and the fuel line included,,,, (why pay the dealer $45.00????) there are dealers/sponsors here on the site,,,, Amicks, spike60, baileys, that is what the site is about,,, to empower people like you to do for yourself,,, and save some coin,,,, that is what the site is for!!!!!

we can talk you through the carb kit install....

Word to the wise,,,, do not blast compressed air directly in to passages/fuel circuits they have some internal check valves that if you slam them w/compressed air will ruin them and possibly the carb,,,,takey your time & be gentle... good spray canned or bulk carb cleaner solvents are the way,, If you do it you will feel so much better that you did it yourself,,,,,

then we will help mod your muffler for,,,,,, MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :clap:

Last edited:
I wouldn't be a bit suprised if its only the fuel line. You can do everything necessary including the carb kit (or for that matter a brand new carb) by yourself with a little help from this site, don't be scared. The 272 is a great saw & if you only use it once in a while, why spend the extra jack on a 372?

Get out of here with that crap...you're messing everything up!:buttkick:

Hi Everyone!

I thought about doing the fuel system rebuild but after going to the saw shop and smelling that new saw smell I ended up walking out with a brand new 372XP :)

$709.00 out the door, with a six pack of oil, 20" bar and chain and two baseball caps.

I ended up getting $375.00 for the 272.

When I went and looked up what I had paid for it ten years ago, it was around five bills.

Really can't beat that.

These saws seem to hold their value as good as guns!

Thanks, I really can't thank you guys enough for your ideas and suggestions on what may have been ailing the saw.

No doubt I probably could have fixed the 272, I just have two much going on right now.

Here is my new little lady,

dbfa1b8b.jpg

Sounds like you came out very well. Did you sell the 272 or did they take it on trade? Just $330 for a new 372 is pretty hard to beat. I would have asked for a spare chain instead of the ball caps - or better yet, some PPE.

LOL

I listed the 272 on Flea-bay with a description on what it was doing, along with being a possible parts only saw with no warranty.

The bidding started at $1.00 was up to $350.00 the first day.

I watched the auction for a bit and then ended it early to a member with a lot of feedback.

It was more than I had hoped for.

I'm happy, and someone else who needed a 272 is happy as well.

Last edited:
That was a nice looking saw that you sold.

Welcome to the site. Hope you stay around long enough to figure out who is trying to steal your saw and who is making a legit offer to fix it.

Don't take this as I am trying to tell you not to buy a new saw. I would never, ever do that.

Just stick around and ask questions.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Be safe,

Fred

Last edited:
LOL

I listed the 272 on Flea-bay with a description on what it was doing, along with being a possible parts only saw with no warranty.

The bidding was up to $350.00 the first day.

I watched the auction for a bit and then ended it early to a member with a lot of feedback.

It was more than I had hoped for.

I'm happy, and someone else who needed a 272 is happy as well.

Just curious, how do you end an auction early? I thought the options with an
auction ended after there was a bid.

Just curious, how do you end an auction early? I thought the options with an
auction ended after there was a bid.

Heck no,
E-bay is so liberal now you can close your auction, cancel all the bids and run.

Though, according to their rules and regs if they see you do this often you get slapped.

The option has always been available to end an auction early with it going to the current high bidder.

One member had bid a few times with 0 feedback who had just joined e-bay last week.

Past exp hasn't been good with new bidders so I ended it with a guy who had over 500 auctions under his belt.

Back