Fix it or trash it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Fish would you have repaired it and sold it as a runner or would you have parted it out?

Only some models in 1 maybe 2 brands are popular enough to make
parting out worthwhile. I usually sell them as non-runners, and usually
the reason I get the saw in the first place, is because it has major problems
and is not worth fixing. And selling it as a good runner, has a bit of risk as well, as you have no control over what kind of crappy fuel the
customer will put in it.
Bigger Huskies are rare around here, the smaller ones I get my hands on are
usually toasted.
Fixing saws for guys on this forum is another thing, as the guys here
know enough to use good fuel.
This saw in question here, I would have likely repaired it and used it this
fall and winter, then sold it.

Only some models in 1 maybe 2 brands are popular enough to make
parting out worthwhile. I usually sell them as non-runners, and usually
the reason I get the saw in the first place, is because it has major problems
and is not worth fixing. And selling it as a good runner, has a bit of risk as well, as you have no control over what kind of crappy fuel the
customer will put in it.
Bigger Huskies are rare around here, the smaller ones I get my hands on are
usually toasted.
Fixing saws for guys on this forum is another thing, as the guys here
know enough to use good fuel.
This saw in question here, I would have likely repaired it and used it this
fall and winter, then sold it.

Fish can I call you "The Great Sage of AS"? You have such good words of wisdom. Plus your Fishisms.:cheers:

I need to learn how to sharpen now, I picked up a sharpening jig that sits on the bar, you run a round file by hand.

No directions, I will google it in a bit.

Yesterday I ate the chain on the 372 on the 2nd tree I fell.

Scratching my head on this,,,,, I never hit the ground or any rocks with the bar, did nice clean cuts, my first outing went perfect.

So here I am beating my brains as to why the chain went to crap so fast.

Then it hit me.

For ten years I have been bringing my Shop vac outside behind my garage to clean.

I have been pulling the filter out of the vac and hitting the element with compressed air.

For any of you that have cleaned those filters with compressed air you know what I am talking about when I say you can Cloud half the neighborhood block with what looks like a fog bank of dust and dirt.

Visibility down to about five yards.

Whenever I cleaned my vac I would do it only when the wind was in my favor,,,, you guessed it...right towards the trees I felled yesterday :dizzy:

Not all chains are the same John. I'm a Husky man, but I really like the Stihl chains.

Not all chains are the same John. I'm a Husky man, but I really like the Stihl chains.

The shop installed the bar and chain when I purchased the saw.

The saw has a 20" husky bar as show in the photo, I did not notice what brand of chain they had put on.

It probably wasn't soaked, neither was the Oregon brand one that I put on afterwards directly from the box.

Looks like I will be learning my sharpening skills soon :cry:

The shop installed the bar and chain when I purchased the saw.

The saw has a 20" husky bar as show in the photo, I did not notice what brand of chain they had put on.

It probably wasn't soaked, neither was the Oregon brand one that I put on afterwards directly from the box.

Looks like I will be learning my sharpening skills soon :cry:

Dont mind Fish lol you will soon get used to him, Just never let him smell fear!
I just use a Stihl file guide its real easy to use, If you are away from base you will need to carry spare chains or learn to sharpen on site, On some jobs the chain may need a quick file every tankful of mix sometimes more often!

Some of the guys here have made a vice to fit on their trucks some have an old wheel with a pole and a vice

PS you dont really need to soak your chains.

What to you suck up in your shopvac, sand? Hard to believe that would dull a chain, but I guess anything can happen.

The chain soaking is a running controversy here. Some swear by it, some swear at it. Can't hurt, but benefits are doubtful to many.

As for sharpening, it's not difficult to learn, just be sure to wear heavy gloves at least until you have a good feel for it. Just takes one slip to open a hand or finger. I wear gloves anyway, I hate the sight of blood - especially my own.

Last edited:
What to you suck up in your shopvac, sand? Hard to believe that would dull a chain, but I guess anything can happen.

The chain soaking is a running controversy here. Some swear by it, some swear at it. Can't hurt, but benefits are doubtful to many.

As for sharpening, it's not difficult to learn, just be sure to wear heavy gloves at least until you have a good feel for it. Just takes one slip to open a hand or finger. I wear gloves anyway, I hate the sight of blood - especially my own.

Yes,
My garage has a cement floor that I poured myself and I only did a broom finish.
It does loose some of itself through out the year along with sand from walking and salt from the roads during the winter.
Thanks for the scoop on the gloves I hate my own blood as well as being a bleeder :)
I did notice a slight difference from my 272XP and this 372XP the first time out.
From an amateurs view;
The 372 does handle ever so slightly better, almost feels a tad lighter.
Power feels about the same.
Also, when setting down on the ground or hanging from a tree idliing the 372 kick back handle vibrates a bit where the 272 was pretty much solid.
Its a nice Saw!

Back