Fixin a cracked crankcase.....yeah.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Knowing how many people here hate the 025, i'm sure some will say that a bullet is the best thing for this project. But anyway...
I paid $30 for this saw. Compression is like new, runs and idles great, doesn't even look like its been used that much, so here's the catch:

The guy who sold it to me (on CL) cracked the case (didn't say how). The crack runs from the handle, cross the gas tank, over to the oiler, chain adj, and a little to the front of the saw.....Maybe a elephant sat on it. I dontno.
He epoxied the handle and the small crack in the gas tank and its solid and holding gas no problem. In the photo below you can see what i'm left with.

I could try to find a used case, but then there's a bunch of work to do. I could part it out (work also) or I could fix it and sell the saw as is, with ample warnings to the buyer.
Or...there's always the bullet!:censored:

I've searched for tank repair, etc.. and found that asides from plastic welding (work), most folks use JB or epoxy for case repair. My idea is to use a syringe (no needle) with a 1" piece of rubber hose on the end to inject something into the crack, which is unfortunately recessed down in the chain adjust molding. I've cleaned it with gas and air already and just don't know what to use to fill it.
Is JB viscous enough to suck into a syringe and inject into a crack this size or should I use 2 part, long set epoxy or seelall or something else? I thought maybe after the crack is filled I could pour something (Kreem or some more resin)in the tank to cover the entire side the crack is on.

Ideas???:monkey:

Last edited:
First of all, gasoline will not do for your cleaning. It will leave an oily residue and WILL cause your JB Weld repair to fail. You must use something like lacquer thinner that is oil free.

JB Weld will not draw into a syringe. It is way too thick. As long as the original repair was done properly, I don't see what else you could do with it. Pics would help.

First of all, gasoline will not do for your cleaning. It will leave an oily residue and WILL cause your JB Weld repair to fail. You must use something like lacquer thinner that is oil free.

JB Weld will not draw into a syringe. It is way too thick. As long as the original repair was done properly, I don't see what else you could do with it. Pics would help.

There is a pic at the bottom of his post

I would do some searching for a case. There should be a bunch out there like parts saws with bad motors and such.

Sorry, I missed that. IMHO, I wouldn't run that saw. I'm not a safety nazi, but that thing's not safe to run. Any case that has a major crack running through the bar mount and clutch bearing is absolute toast. Don't waste your time.

Hmmmmm. From a distance and w/o a dime invested I'd say you've got two choices. 1) gut it and part it out on Ebay. Best return for the money w/least effort. or 2) strip it down and get a good case for it.

I don't really see a fix for that, but maybe someone else does................

I can't think of a safe and permanent fix, were you to "fix" it and flip it, the ultimate and eventual failure will come back to haunt you. Caveats or not, your name and reputation will forever be linked to it.

Looks like the crack goes through one of the bar studs - a definite stress area (previous owner "stick" the saw and bust it yanking it free), making re-failure a near certainty.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Junk the junk.

But that's just me.

Ok, it's fairly obvious that my 'glue it and hock' idea is not going over well. Only one minor guilt trip so far (smile), not a very judgmental crew :popcorn:
I'll wait a bit before loading the double barrel for some others to weigh in.
Thanks all.

:chainsaw:

I'll second don't repair the case, I'm sort of an inspert on this sort of thing.No I did'nt misspell inspert, I specialize in saws that have been destroyed.A crankcase can be found on ebay very resonably priced,swap out all the good internals do a quality and safe repair and you'll keep the saw or have one you can sell with a good concience...By the way that's a fair price you paid, if you decide you can still part out the saw and come out way on top.The crankshaft should bring $30 by itself...

Forget that one...

Buy an old tank... In a hour or two you'll have a fine little saw again... and you'll learn what you don't want to know..

Well as stated before,,,, you must use laquer thinner or brake solvent or something to cut and remove the grease/bar oil,,,, and if you must try it,,,, devcon makes an epoxy that comes in a two part syringe you would have to get some down in the crack or you could try the soldering iron welding if ya dont have aything better tol do!!!!!! LOL ive seen stranger stuff done,,,, one advantage you have is even though its called the crank case that series of saw its really not,,,,, the crank is enclosed with a horizontally split engine pan,,,, that stuff you posted is just an oil reservoir, and a bar /top handle rear barstud holder it may hold up and run forever and it may brake when you least expect it,,,

So be careful!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, 8 opinions say don't bother so I'm not gonna try the fix. Now I contemplate buying a case for $40 or so, plus the $30 i'm in for the wreck, a bar and chain and drive sprocket (didn't come with). Thats over $100 for a saw I can sell for $175....Duh.....
So it looks like I've got parts to sell!!!!
Taking things apart is always easier than puttin them back together anyway. I'm just not excited to take all them pictures and spend all that time on the computer...Oh well, it may rain again next week.
Thanks for all the pro opinions.
This site sure keeps me greasy!

:givebeer:

If you dont want to fix it, throw it up on the trading post here on AS. If the price is right and the pics show a good Piston and Cylinder it may sell. Plus people here appreciate good deals from honest people...

Ya know....I would fix it if I really wanted another 025. I finally gave away my old one to a friend who's now proceeding to trash it, and my girlfriend has a ms250. I can't get away from this mass produced wonder.
I think I'm gonna downsize her to a 210 I fixed up. Maybe it's habit but I always seem to reach for the 250 when my 361 (mod) sit there lonely and lookin so pretty.
(No...my 361 is NOT for sale) :angry2:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for all the input,
Mark

Latest posts

Back