Fixin to get ugly here......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't blow as hard or snow as much as they said it might here, but the wind was strong enough that this morning there was a net loss of snow.

Stopped snowing about 2 hours ago. We got 12" of powder Friday into yesterday from the first storm and about another 6" today. Just took a hike around the meadow on snowshoes. The sky is clearing, the snow is light and dry and the temp about 16. I'll now feed some maple to the stoves, pour a couple of fingers of scotch and light a cigar. Doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:
I'm ready..
DSCN0682.jpg

and Monty my cat is ready. We can handle anything Mother Nature can throw at us.
DSCN0676.jpg

Yesterday they said it would snow until noon today, it didn't, very little came down. It did "start" snowing at noon though, and has continued, now they say more snow will fall, maybe another 8".

Ok

Stopped snowing about 2 hours ago. We got 12" of powder Friday into yesterday from the first storm and about another 6" today. Just took a hike around the meadow on snowshoes. The sky is clearing, the snow is light and dry and the temp about 16. I'll now feed some maple to the stoves, pour a couple of fingers of scotch and light a cigar. Doesn't get any better than this.

Now this is a man that knows how to ride out a storm. I'm on my way LOL. That is what I used to do but the woman in my life draws the line at cigars in the house. When we were negotiating her moving to Iowa she asked if I smoked. I said no except for cigars which I don't inhale. She said that was a deal breaker, and I said that was really to bad. She called back in about and hour and said You'd give me up for cigars? I really like cigars was my reply. Well I did take her, but I have to go to my shop or to the office to smoke cigars. What is your favorite scotch? I am partial to Laphroig. JR

Now this is a man that knows how to ride out a storm. I'm on my way LOL. That is what I used to do but the woman in my life draws the line at cigars in the house. When we were negotiating her moving to Iowa she asked if I smoked. I said no except for cigars which I don't inhale. She said that was a deal breaker, and I said that was really to bad. She called back in about and hour and said You'd give me up for cigars? I really like cigars was my reply. Well I did take her, but I have to go to my shop or to the office to smoke cigars. What is your favorite scotch? I am partial to Laphroig. JR

I certainly hope she is a very good woman to give up indoor cigar smokin' in the winter. I've been married for over 40 years so my wife is both good and used to my bad habits.

Laphroig is, as you know an excellent single malt. My new favorite is Glenlivet 16 year old aged in Madura casks-cask strength at 59% so it will keep one warm. Like Glenmorangie 12s in both Port and Burgundy barrel finish, Isle of Jura 16, Macallans 12, Dalmore Cigar Malt, etc, etc.-well you get the idea.

She is

I certainly hope she is a very good woman to give up indoor cigar smokin' in the winter. I've been married for over 40 years so my wife is both good and used to my bad habits.

Laphroig is, as you know an excellent single malt. My new favorite is Glenlivet 16 year old aged in Madura casks-cask strength at 59% so it will keep one warm. Like Glenmorangie 12s in both Port and Burgundy barrel finish, Isle of Jura 16, Macallans 12, Dalmore Cigar Malt, etc, etc.-well you get the idea.

Despite being a lawyer she is a wonderful woman, but I do miss cigars in the house. In what I jokingly refer to as the good old days when a blizzard hit I would build a fire in the fireplace, turn on the big screen TV to a football game or something else good, climb in the hot tub with a cigar and a scotch, and perhaps a "friend" and enjoy. Now the hot tub and cigars are out of the house, but like the line in Dances With Wolves, "good trade".

You are obviously a good judge of good whiskey. I have had most of those, and agree that they are all good. One of the best I ever had was Brora which is not made anymore. Picked it up at the duty free at Heathro, they said that was the only place you could get it. It was part of what they called the "Legends of Scotland" or sum such thing, barrel proof, 120 proof anyway. Man was it good, but you had to go a mite easy with it. JR

Didn't get any snow yesterday (12/21), was a bit on the breezy side though. If it snows and drifts any more I won't be able to drive my truck in and out of the woods much anymore. And what do you know, possabily 1-3 in. tonight with ANOTHER 3-4 in. tomorrow! Oh Goody Goody Gumdrops!!!

We got another 8" or so last night, the neighbor came over and plowed the drive again so I owe him more halibut and salmon fillets. I was supposed to be out collecting wood from a tree service company and cutting some alder at another location over the last few days, but it was all cancelled. My trailer still has a load of wood from the flood, we had several nice 50' logs deposited in the yard and the last load is covered with snow and frozen in place. The truck is still half full of now frozen sand bags from the flood too, so I really wasn't ready.

It's been below zero here for the last two days.
Wind chill yesterday was......HORRIBLE!
Next Friday it's supposed to get clear up to 40 so.....no relief from all this damned ice.... all week.
It's so cold salt does....nothing.

This is the path from my office door to the bathroom.
I'm getting SOOO tired of taking those little short shuffling steps so necessary to staying upright on this ice. I'm about ready to give up drinking coffee.

attachment.php

Another 5 to 6 inches of snow between now and Friday and THEN....Friday night....you guessed it....Periods of rain, freezing on surfaces; breezy

Last edited:
Yep that pretty much looks like the path between my house and the shop.

I screwed up though and tried to blade off some of the slush with the tractor and blade before it froze and now I got ruts of ice. Should have left bad enough alone.

On the bright side, if I have to plow snow with the truck this week I shouldn't tear up any gravel in the drive!

Last edited:
Snow or Cold

attachment.php

Coming to the end of week #2 of this crap. With a blistering north wind the windchill factor has dropped to -45C. Can't hardly stand to go outside, but have a wife born and bred in Arizona.........Can't stand to stay IN the house

I think it's alot more than ugly in alot of parts of this country.They say we have had the coldest and the most snowyest december in a long time.It's going to snow tonight again and friday again,this morning it was 17 below zero and that was without the wind chill:help:

attachment.php

Coming to the end of week #2 of this crap. With a blistering north wind the windchill factor has dropped to -45C. Can't hardly stand to go outside, but have a wife born and bred in Arizona.........Can't stand to stay IN the house

I tried to rep ya but, I'm on empty. All I'm going to say is that there's alot of men who can relate and thank god for wood heated shops!

attachment.php

Time to split some more wood! Or out to the bush and cut some more wood! :hmm3grin2orange:

Cold you can dress for, but man, with the wind it can just be darn unbearable.

Back