Fixin to get ugly here......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern NM

I've got a small place southwest of Chama about 40 miles and 120 miles north of Albuquerque. Last week 2 feet of snow and since last night another foot and the Nat'l Weather Service out of Durango is calling for another 2 - 3 feet. No cutting until spring unless we get a real warm thaw.

7 hours plowing 2.4 miles of roads and 15 driveways... had to bring a plow in from Eastern WA... none available locally for days. I rode with him 'cos he didn't know the customers and driveways.

Now the roads are sheets of ice (but with nice berms on each side;)), and... more snow predicted tonight, after a brief afternoon thaw.. lolol

I had to stop on my own driveway to remove a tree. Started off and slid into the ditch. Damn... first time in 20 year I've been stuck. Had to winch it out on my own with a bunch of logging cables and a hand come-along.. PITA. Then I forgot to pick up the the cables etc before we plowed.. grrr...

Supposed to get another 3 inches here today.
Ice never has melted, trees are still loaded.
Down to 8 degrees tonight, with wind.
Intermittent power outages here and there, but I haven't had to fire up my generator....yet.

I gave up my snowplow business last year after 20 years.
Never made much money and I'm gettin too old to plow snow all night and then work all day at the body shop.
Of course I kept one plow and all the freebie customers (Friends & family) so I'll likely be busy this afternoon and evening!

Thought I'd clean off a little in front of the shop and to the bathroom with the Lil plow....big mistake cause all I did was uncover the ice.
At least you could walk on the snow!

attachment.php

UPDATE: Home just called and....NO POWER!

Last edited:
Snowing like crazy here, and windy... 12-18 inches of wet compacted snow on the ground, and supposed to get up to 48 this weekend.. LOLOL a huge mess will ensue..

Like Lake said, more snow, then rain, then more snow, then rain, this cycle is supposed to continue into next year.

Trains have been shut down along with the buses and airlines, people have been stuck in the Seattle area for many days, sleeping in the terminals and shelters, not fun. Gas stations have been running out of fuel for about a week now, the hard hit areas have no gas, others get it when possible. We don't get this kind of weather frequently enough to be that well prepared for it and the other problem is that where ever you want to go here in the PNW, there are multiple steep hills that stop most traffic.

Last edited:
Do ya suppose, in a few years we will be telling people...."I remember the winter of 08-09"???

Apparently the power is back on at my house.

24 degrees, snowing/blowing since noon and predicted to continue all night. At least 36" of bone dry/powder snow in hte fields doing its best to pile onto the roads. Many highways closed and all deputies were ordered to stay home on "emergency call out only". I dispatched for 15 years here and neveer did see all deputies pulled off the roads.

Harry K

Many more inches of snow here too, everytime they say there's a trace of snow possible we get another 8"

Looks like we might get some relief here tomorrow.
Supposed to get up to 51.
Sure won't be sorry to see this ice go!

OK the joke's over

It's snowing like crazy here right now... WTF....?? 8 more inches last night.

If I catch the guy that wanted a white Xmas, I'm pinning him down beneath my icicles.:(

Sure, all you upstate NY guys will look at my pics and say "ho ho ho.. we had that this morning", but out here it's a big deal. Really wet and heavy. I figure I have 130,000lb of snow on my roof... and it's supposed to start raining tomorrow.

Xmas eve, the log fire is roaring, I'd had a couple of beers and half a bottle of Champagne, presents are being opened and the wife is sure look'in good... ;) the phone rings :( "help me help me... my truck's in the ditch". He'd also juts called my buddy.. and his monster truck slid off right behind him. Trudge up to the barn. Load up cables, winches, chains... Dig out my truck... Luckily it was on a private road only a 1/2 mile away..

Today.... now I need to call another good buddy and tell him we can't make it for xmas dinner... Oh well, I'm sure there's some chicken in the freezer we can thaw, if the power stays on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

If I catch the guy that wanted a white Xmas, I'm pinning him down beneath my icicles.:(

Sure, all you upstate NY guys will look at my pics and say "ho ho ho.. we had that this morning", but out here it's a big deal. Really wet and heavy. I figure I have 130,000lb of snow on my roof... and it's supposed to start raining tomorrow.

Xmas eve, the log fire is roaring, I'd had a couple of beers and half a bottle of Champagne, presents are being opened and the wife is sure look'in good... ;) the phone rings :( "help me help me... my truck's in the ditch". He'd also juts called my buddy.. and his monster truck slid off right behind him. Trudge up to the barn. Load up cables, winches, chains... Dig out my truck... Luckily it was on a private road only a 1/2 mile away..

Today.... now I need to call another good buddy and tell him we can't make it for xmas dinner... Oh well, I'm sure there's some chicken in the freezer we can thaw, if the power stays on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sure is a pretty place you have there. Merry Christmas and stay warm. -Cale

Today is great no snow low 20's sunny and I got to use my Christmas present I got from my wife(its a new camera)Oh yeah tommorrow it might snow or rain or combination.

Not sure if its snowing at your place Lakeside, but on my side of Monroe it still is. It was supposed to warm up and start raining today and in some areas closer to the water it is, but in others it's just more snow.

Lakeside while we did have a white X-mas here the wind was blowing really good Christmas Eve. Then first thing this morning the phone rings and there's a tree down along side of a driveway and it's back to work we go!

HO HO HO not this morning but last weekend 12-19 - 12-21 over 20" dropped........ then christmas eve we got alot of rain........ then ice lololol.

Scott

Latest posts

Back