Flaking squish band plating Jonsered 2152 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Jonsered 2152(Husqvarna 353) that I picked up, has some miles on it and was blowing 125psi so I figured I would put a new ring on it pull the base gasket and muffler mod it to see what it could do. Pulled the cylinder and started cleaning it up when I noticed the squish band looks jacked. At first glance it looks like the plating is coming off but on closer inspection it also looks like there are spots with an extra layer of plating as well. So it looks like three layers. This is one of the cheaper Husqvarna produced cylinders, so I am wondering if some or all of this could have been like this when the cylinder was new. The saw seemed to run fine and I have not seen any flakes when cleaning up the cylinder and piston. There are no spots in the bore that show signs of flaking. Has anyone seen this before with these cylinders (353,359,2152,2159)?
DSC02183.JPG DSC02182.JPG

I hear the plating is thin on these cylinders. If they score there is little hope for the cylinder to clean up. It usually goes through the thin plating. My 2159 is getting a 357 cylinder soon because of the lower prices on Husky cylinders.

I had heard the same thing about the thin plating. I am going for minimal investment on this, about 30 bucks in parts so I figure I will just run it and see what happens. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this sort of thing with these cylinders. There is also quite a bit of casting flash and minimal beveling. Maybe this is just a bad example of an already cheap cylinder.

Combustion chambers on these are plated, I have heard more than one complaint (beside myself) with regard to the toughness of it when cutting the band deeper.
Your cylinder looks to have some rough casting surface that is plated over, if it doesn't come off scraping on it I wouldn't be concerned.

Back