Flat forehead, another installment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was out cutting firewood with a chainsaw (had to throw that in to be here) last weekend. Finished, put up all the tools, crawled in the PU and backed it into a clearing. Lots of room. I haven't seen that eye on the PU bumper but there has to be one. I managed to hit the only old, rotted out stump hole in the area. Just big enough to accept one wheel clear to the axle. Not even a hope of pulling out of is (2x PU).

Called AAA - nope, no pay off the road.
Called tow, how much could that cost, only 14 miles away.

Got bill $154!!!. That is when I slapped my forehead (again, I have calluses there). I only had 150 ft of cable in three sections, shackles, two log chains, three snatch blocks, a solid stump only 20 ft back of the PU, and a come-along. Did I think to use ANY of that?

To make it a perfect disaster, I managed to loose the cover off the cell phone. Replacement only added another $33 to the bill.

Harry K

Ouch.

Makes ya think that a selectable air/cable/electric locker would have been helpful! Or at least a hi-lift jack - lift up vehicle, pitch crap in hole under tire, drive out.

I have yet to figure out what benefit AAA provides that simply calling and paying for a tow truck when you need one won't do as well or better.

Just buy a winch and 4x4 truck and be done with it. save yourself plenty of time. had you used a truck with dual rear wheels, you could have used the cable in the wheels, as a winch of sorts.

Over the years I have had several 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles. The odds of getting stuck in a 4 wheel drive is about 10 times higher.
This can easily be explained by the fact that you don't drive into the same places when you only have 2 wheel drive.

Smart offroaders only use 2 wheel when traveling alone.

This allows you to get where you can and only use 4wd when you need to get unstuck.:clap:

Thats where the smart money is at.

Mike Maas said:
Why not just use the jack that came with the truck?
'cause they suck. Better than nothing, but for $30 why use the dorky one, besides, bottle jacks have other uses. Hi-lift jacks (Jackalls) are great, but watchout, they have killed people.

The hy-lifts are huge, heavy, and then where do you stow it?
In my van I'm carrying a small sized floor jack, instead of the stock jack. It's a little heavier duty, only cost about $15, and it's a lot easier to use. It's bigger than a bottle jack, but a bit more stable.

I usually carry a few chunks of wood, like 2x6, 2x8 and a couple of 4x4s for a pad for the bottle jack. I put the jackall in the box to carry it, it really helps to put a chain around the axle and frame, so you don't have to lift too high using the jackall. I prefer the bottle jack, unless I'm in mud and water, it is a lot safer.

Most PPL mount the high lift on the bumper or frame of the vehicle with one end held in place with a bracket and the other held with a lock.

Their also good for pulling, pushing and hopping (laterally) the vehicle out of deep ruts.

Aint doing them with a bottle jack...

Some thoughts on various of the replies.

4x? Why? This is the first time in over 60 years I had a problem I couldn't get out of with a 2x and it wouldn't have been a problem had I used my head. Why pay all that money for initial cost, maintenance, low mpg for something that really ain't ever used? Yes, I live in snow country, no, I have never needed 4x to get to work over the roads.

Jacks. Yep, I had both the original and a bottle jack. Would have taken a shovel to get either one in position and that is something I may be adding to my kit. Probably should be a standard part of the kit anyhow.

AAA. They have been very good to me. Saved my wife once out in the wilds of BC. Has towed a couple of my rigs to town a few times. The tow company talked to me today and said he appreciates all the business I have sent him over the years from people in the ditch, etc near my house. Seems he didn't appreciate it enough to reduce the bill though.

Harry K

I love the 4X4 vs 4X2 debate. I remeber on another site where a 2X guy claimed that he could go places a 4X couldn't because he had only driven 2X's he knew how to drive better than those driving 4X's.

One reason around my area to get a 4X is that you will make a lot of the cost difference up on the back side when you sell it. 2X's don't sell well here. I agree with Harry, if you added the extra costs, less the extra resale at the end, the 4X costs you more, but it is not alot.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I only have 4X's. I use it often. True, if I did not have it, I might not get into the same situations that I find myself in, but I do not want to limit where I can drive. Snow and ice, sure you can drive a 2x in it, but no thanks. I have driven both and there is no comparison. To me its like felling a 42" tree with a Husky 137, it can be done, but not much fun.

I am not trying to beat anyone up here, I just think the debates that go on between the two camps are funny. It is also interesting how many 4X trucks are on the road around here. This is not snow country. I do not think that I used 4X in the snow a single time last year.

Jim

TopJimmy said:
I love the 4X4 vs 4X2 debate. I remeber on another site where a 2X guy claimed that he could go places a 4X couldn't because he had only driven 2X's he knew how to drive better than those driving 4X's.

One reason around my area to get a 4X is that you will make a lot of the cost difference up on the back side when you sell it. 2X's don't sell well here. I agree with Harry, if you added the extra costs, less the extra resale at the end, the 4X costs you more, but it is not alot.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I only have 4X's. I use it often. True, if I did not have it, I might not get into the same situations that I find myself in, but I do not want to limit where I can drive. Snow and ice, sure you can drive a 2x in it, but no thanks. I have driven both and there is no comparison. To me its like felling a 42" tree with a Husky 137, it can be done, but not much fun.

I am not trying to beat anyone up here, I just think the debates that go on between the two camps are funny. It is also interesting how many 4X trucks are on the road around here. This is not snow country. I do not think that I used 4X in the snow a single time last year.

Jim

Yeah, I enjoy the debate too. I really don't care what people drive but I do like to put the needle in when bogus justifications are used such as one guy at work who loved to brag up his 4X that he "needed to get to work". I always needled him by pointing out that I drove the identical road, almost the same distance and did it in my 2x with no problems.

I really think that guys who try to justify the purchase with such things are missing the best reason of all..."because I like them", "because I wanted it" are all perfectly good reasons.

Harry K

How bout those plus "It looks cool"?

I find the biggest need is if you cross hilly terain in wet weather or generally poor conditions.

I agree on the resale value slant and theres also something I used to do that greatly offset the costs of the price difference.

Popin Idjits out of ditches!

I live in a rural area, but within 2mi of me theres homes that go for 1-2mil, thus we have lots of PPL driving fancy cars that they cant control in good conditions, let alone when theres a snowflake on the ground.

I sometimes get as much as $60 just pulling them out and asking for whatever they think its worth.:clap:

For MOST people, all 4 wheel drive does is make sure that when they're stuck, they're REALLY stuck! Costs more to get them out at that point.......
I drive snow equipment as a big part of my job, usually a road grader with plow and wing. Guess what the guy that drives the plow drives to work?(before the roads are plowed)
A volkswagen!!!!!!! Put 4 snows on it and you'd be surprized what they'll go through/over.
Passed lots of 4 wheel drives in the ditch on the way to work in the last few years........

I find the interest some have in the configuration of another persons gearbox intriguing.

Reminds me how my father in law jumped when he heard I was about to purchase my first 4x4 with the question WHY??

I turned with a smile well aware of the many anti-values, multiple bias, and deep rooted ancient resentment that made him jump at his question and said simply,
"Because I can".
He he did not bug me ever again:laugh:

Back