Flat forehead, another installment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use both mine (o.k., one is the wife's car) to get out of my driveway in the winter! Not cold enough to have "dry snow", not warm enough not to freeze...

Yes to the idiots... I remind them as I pull them out of the ditch (while they mumble about the 4wd not working) that it's a zero wheel drive with their fat foot on the brake.

It rained here yesterday for the first time in about 75 days (yep, Seattle is a rainy place, sure..). Disaster on the roads - everyone had forgotten how to drive. Thank god we have a bunch of "test conditions", before the winter really starts.

I lived in SW Montana for 9 years... The 1965 VW and old 2WD Subaru always made it...

Mike Maas said:
That first snowfall is good for a bunch of accidents for sure.
What most four wheel drivers forget, is that just because the truck gets up and goes on snowy roads, it doesn't stop any faster!
DING, DING, DING!!

We have the added entertainment value of watching flatlanders/citiots trying to drive in the snow. Friday night snowstorms are ALWAYS the best entertainment! Amazing...

Mike Maas said:
The hy-lifts are huge, heavy, and then where do you stow it?
In my van I'm carrying a small sized floor jack, instead of the stock jack. It's a little heavier duty, only cost about $15, and it's a lot easier to use. It's bigger than a bottle jack, but a bit more stable.

One of the few advantages of driving a Jeep is the ease with which you can mount a hi-lift jack. Not sure that this advantage outweighs the dreadful fuel economy, limited interior space, limited payload, limited towing capacity, but at least it is an identifiable advantage.

resized_Hi_Lift_In_TJ_03.jpg

PWB said:
For MOST people, all 4 wheel drive does is make sure that when they're stuck, they're REALLY stuck! Costs more to get them out at that point.......
I drive snow equipment as a big part of my job, usually a road grader with plow and wing. Guess what the guy that drives the plow drives to work?(before the roads are plowed)
A volkswagen!!!!!!! Put 4 snows on it and you'd be surprized what they'll go through/over.
Passed lots of 4 wheel drives in the ditch on the way to work in the last few years........

We lived in Western Pa and my dad would always buy a vw bug every winter. Rear wheel drive with the engine in the back plus they were positraction rear. He drove 45 min each way down through MD back into Pa. His defrost was a small hairdryer with a toggle switch. The heat was a kerosene heater he would light before the ride. Snow would blow through the vents and the salt they used to keep the roads from freezing would eat it by winters end. Good times it was riding with my father to work in the winters. I actually miss those days.

Had a type three wagon waaay back when. As soon as the rockers rot there's no heat. Newer versions had the gas fired heater under the hood, but mine didn't work. A skidoo suit and a scraper for the INSIDE of the windshield.

Newer stuff is watercooled front wheel drive!!

Hah, I had a 73 microbus with no heat.

On a good day it felt 10* colder inside than outside, on a bad day the carb iced up and we had to walk.

My friends nicknamed it the Fridge.

computeruser said:
Ouch.

Makes ya think that a selectable air/cable/electric locker would have been helpful! Or at least a hi-lift jack - lift up vehicle, pitch crap in hole under tire, drive out.

I have yet to figure out what benefit AAA provides that simply calling and paying for a tow truck when you need one won't do as well or better.
Yeah, but they got those really nice maps.

The "old style" VW Bug is awesome in the snow.
Works good in the woods too :clap:

Back