• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Flat Rate of chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Have lots of used chains. Some are lightly used, some might be junk. Will fill a large flat rate, aprox 45lbs of chain. Most common is 3/8" .050 in around 16-24" but will be whatever I grab out of the pail.

Would do $100 shipped. The shipping is $20 so I'm not asking for very much considering there will be easily $1000+ worth of chains.

Two boxes shipped out so far, plus the one I donated for the giveaway. I still have plenty more!

If you could show me a few good pics of a few older Oregon 72 I may be interested.

Probably have a bunch, it's the the biggest selling chain here. I don't have the time to sort the chains out though, if I did I'd sell them for about $10 a loop.

Have sent out 5 boxes so far.

Just want to reiterate.... the chains aren't sorted out. It's a grab bag. You'll end up with all sorts of sizes and condition. Quite certainly there will be loops that are good for stump cutting/one more sharpen/garbage can and there will also be loops that are close to new.

Ok...so I got my raffle box of chains. VF wasn't kidding... 35lb of the 45 lb of chain is a usable grab bag. 10 lbs of chain is unusable scrap metal. Not sure why scrap metal goes in a box just to get sent thousands of miles. These boxes are a lot of work to sort through the chains...and as such if the chains had usable life left then the asking price is probably fair...but to intentionally include scrap chains makes no sense to me.

Box as sent... :

20160621_135853.jpg

Box of scrap chains (after sorting)...

20160621_143152.jpg

I'm sorry....why send junk? At best this is careless...at worst I'm shorted.

Ok...so I got my raffle box of chains. VF wasn't kidding... 35lb of the 45 lb of chain is a usable grab bag. 10 lbs of chain is unusable scrap metal. Not sure why scrap metal goes in a box just to get sent thousands of miles. These boxes are a lot of work to sort through the chains...and as such if the chains had usable life left then the asking price is probably fair...but to intentionally include scrap chains makes no sense to me.

Box as sent... :

View attachment 509679

View attachment 509680

Pics of the included dirty coffee mug & a greasy trucker cap.

Box as sent... :

View attachment 509679

View attachment 509680

You got exactly what was advertised, not sure what the issue is? Not to mention you got it for free!

You act like I purposely sorted out the chains and sent you junk? It was a "grab bag" of good and bad chains, just like the ad says. Nothing was sorted.
It's very clear in the ad exactly what's in the box and that's what I sent you.

You ended up with 35lbs of good chains, that's not bad at all. How many loops is that?
If you had to buy loops the $100 the chains would have cost (had it not been free to you) would buy what, 4 or 5 loops? How many loops did you end up with? Many many times more than that.

I have no idea where there's a problem. What exactly did you expect that you didn't get? You got 35lbs of chain loops for free, pretty good deal.

Not to mention what's wrong with the chains that are "junk"? I zoomed in and most that are visable look to have at least a sharpening or two left.... ie... still good.

Not to mention what's wrong with the chains that are "junk"? I zoomed in and most that are visable look to have at least a sharpening or two left.... ie... still good.

As a semi-interested bystander I have to agree with the OP.[emoji106]

And, for a Benjamin, I can get five 3/8" X .050" X 66dl plus a loop of 60 dl from my local OPE shop at most. Carlton BTW.

Then there is the entertainment value of picking thru the pile for the real gems. Better value than 'dinner and a movie'.

I bought a box. What I recieve is what I get. For only 100 with shipping included I'm not going to complain. Some might be good most might not but it's better than buying new. I'm sure after I sort it I can sell enough to cover the 100 n rest is mine for free. Sounds like a hell of a deal. Might even buy another. Thanks for making this offer possible VF!

I bought a box. What I recieve is what I get. For only 100 with shipping included I'm not going to complain. Some might be good most might not but it's better than buying new. I'm sure after I sort it I can sell enough to cover the 100 n rest is mine for free. Sounds like a hell of a deal. Might even buy another. Thanks for making this offer possible VF!

Please post your findings & supply a second, unbiased opinion related to the Maine topic of this thread.

All the tire kickers will appreciate it, as well as the little Inuits in the shipping department.

I got an idea... since these are such random boxes, how about anyone that sorts these chains posts what they want to trade, and what they want to trade for?

I still haven't had a chance to really sort through the good chains, but I'm pretty sure I can't use any of them because they aren't in the sizes that I use regularly. What I can do is clean them up, sharpen them, and then offer them for trade. If everyone else does the same, we can do quite well.... who's with me?

post in format like...

I have:

xxx chain

I need (or can eventually use):

72dl oregon 72 050 3/8 chain 20"
or 24" 84dl 73 058 3/8 chain

etc

I got an idea... since these are such random boxes, how about anyone that sorts these chains posts what they want to trade, and what they want to trade for?

I still haven't had a chance to really sort through the good chains, but I'm pretty sure I can't use any of them because they aren't in the sizes that I use regularly. What I can do is clean them up, sharpen them, and then offer them for trade. If everyone else does the same, we can do quite well.... who's with me?

post in format like...

I have:

xxx chain

I need (or can eventually use):

72dl oregon 72 050 3/8 chain 20"
or 24" 84dl 73 058 3/8 chain

etc

He didn't axe you what you ran before shipping?

Musta been a grab box.

What did you get?

I like your idea mattyo. I'll do the same once I've sorted it out n sharpened them up. I use some 3/8 in 50 guage only for 16,20,24,32. Anything else in length or guage is useless to me. Hopefully it will be of use to someone out there. My bigger saws mostly use the 404 stuff so im slowly weenie away from 3/8.

He didn't axe you what you ran before shipping?

Musta been a grab box.

What did you get?

Honestly when I chose this as a prize I hadn't seen his ad....so I didn't know what I was getting. Not the point of this post though.

Actually...I know I have 404 in the box that I can't use. I've set that stuff aside so hopefully I can trade some of that for the 375 or 325 I need.

Let's see... I use

95vx066g. 325 050 66dl
72lgx072g. 375 050 72dl
73lgx084g. (Or skip chain) 375 058 84dl
72lgx093g. Or skip. 375 050 93dl
75lgx115dl or skip. 375 063 115dl.

I don't know yet what I have to trade. Hopefully next week I'll get it figured.

Latest posts

Back