Flawless chainsaw models only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What saws have you run hard that have given you ZERO reliability/build problems in 2+ years?

I have run more saws than I can remember, but in that category I can include: -
3 x Stihl Ms200t
1 x Dolmar PS52
1 x Stihl 500i
1 x Stihl 084
I have run several Makita, Jonsered and Echo but none make the list.
I have not run any Husqvarna for long enough to know.
The saw I had the highest hopes for but ended up being sold on at a loss was a Makita 7901 with the ****** flooding carb arse ache

The only echo I have run is a 1201 and it’s not 3 years old yet so that’s why it’s not included, plus it doesn’t work hard or often. I’m not popping at any saw not on the list, just saying the saws on my list are the ones for me that have been flawless. Same model different user could be a different story

I'd say most of the saws I've come across were like that, my dad's 372, my 2100, and my brother's 2101 are all wearing their original rubber bits, both 210*'s have new green weenies on them but that's it. My dad's HT73 pole saw was ridden hard and put up wet when he got it, and he's run it for another 10-15 years with the saw being stored under a shed deck for a good 8 of those and it was flawless up until the top end just wore out. Since then the fuel lines and grommet cracked, I swapped out the leaky primer bulb and fuel cap and we put a new b/c on it but it still has run flawlessly even with those issues. My MS250 needed a new fuel line and carb when I got it but it's been fine ever since.

Flawless chainsaw models only.......​

I sure miss the Stihl calendars;)!
Guys I’ve used my pro Mac 700 that I bought new in 1988 and still use it to this day. My next saw with no issues is my Husky 288, amazing saw. I’ve replaced bars, chains, and the air filters but this is normal wear and tear stuff. Last but not least is my pro Mac 800 new in 87 and no issues. I take VERY good care of em

Echo cs 670 - 14 years old. Beat to hell and back, badly mistreated and maintained until recently. Never a problem. Runs like a top. Dead reliable
Echo cs 370 - 12 years old, only replaced chains, bars, and filters. Runs better than new. Dead reliable.
Stihl 261 - 9 years old. Ran hard for 4 years, does a lot of sitting but still hasn’t had any work done too it but normal maintenance.
Echo cs680 - 4 + years old. Worked hard but maintained meticulously. Dead reliable.
Aside from the 670/680’s it’s all about maintenance and storage. I’ve had other saws that gave me issues but they were either second hand or broken physically.

I have very few problems with any of the saws in my list.

Even my oldest saw which is a Husqvarna 480CD that I bought new in 1980 still runs as good today as the day it was purchased. The only parts it's ever required were a new tank vent, ignition switch, and I had to braze the little lever on the Tillotson carb to the shaft because it developed some play after 30 years or so of hard use.

My two "go to" saws are the Echo CS-590 and CS-370. I've been running the dog living piss out of both of them for quite a few years now with zero issues anyplace. The only thing I've had to replace on the CS-590 was the original laminated bar. I've lost count of how many chains I've worn out for the CS-370 but it's been a bunch of them. It is a dead solid reliable piece of equipment and I like it so much I bought one for my son-in-law a couple of years ago when they bought a house with seven acres and need to do some cutting from time to time......

Latest posts

Back