flip-line hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBullman

User Formerly known as stephenbullman
Reaction score
i switched from a v.t to a knut hitch on my flipline today and was having a lot of trouble with the knut being pulled through the d on my butterfly when i tended the slack. anyone got any ways round this?

Don't worry guys....I'll take this one!

Okay, a while back we talked about this and I think glens posted some pictures showing some clever ways to prevent this from happening. I think it involved a small piece of cord tied around the lanyard and to the d-ring preventing the knut-hitch from getting sucked back into the d-ring.

You could also tie the friction-hitch to the d-ring, but leave the tails on the fisherman's knots really long and use those tails to tie a knot around the rope.

You could use a slack tending pulley, but that might defeat your purpose of using the knut...a knot that doesn't need a pulley for tending!

That's what I know. Check the archives and let us know what you find!

love
nick

cheers nick, like you, i remember the topic a while back but didnt pay much attention to it, cant seem to find it now though, that'll learn me to pay attention in class huh

don't you use a flip line with built -in shunt type gizmo..thats what i use but i must say i have had some hair raising ,blood pumping experiences with it imo its a bit finicky to use it needs a bit of force/weight on it to make it lock securely

Micropulley IS smoother...there's no disputing that.

Rollacosta, sounds like you need a new setup. Consistency is essential. I need to know things are going to grab, not think or hope they will.

love
nick

for my partner who was leary of my spliced vt cord on a beener, but liked the functionality, I put a rope gromit/plstic eye in the first twist and attached the whole shoot'n match to the dee , use'n a knut, and it works as smooth as my micro pulley.

Steve,

What size dees do you have on your saddle? With the small ones using half inch rope and 8mm cord I haven't seen the hitches invert through the dees. Try pulling the tail out to the side a little. If your navel points to noon, pull towards 7:30 or 8.

Tom

I use a 3/2 vt on on my D ring for my flip line.

It ain't broke so I ain't switchin' to a different hitch. Smooth - like Tom said, to take up slack, pull up instead of out. ;)

i have the standard butterfly 1 d's tom. i had it with 8mm to start with then thought maybe if i tied it with 9mm it would be a chunky enough knot to stay the right side.
nathan i had a v.t before on a micro pulley, worked a treat.
i then tried tying it straight onto the d which worked great too, only problem is now the way im positioned if i'm side on to my main anchor point im finding my bridge is catching on the top of the wraps and loosening the hitch, hence i tried using the knut as it was a more compact hitch.
works fine except this one problem, i might just go back to the v.t and micro pulley.

rolla, you should try this set-up instead of your grab.
ive used grabs before amongst other things and the v.t or similar perform much better.

stephenbullman said:
rolla, you should try this set-up instead of your grab.
ive used grabs before amongst other things and the v.t or similar perform much better.

Unless you work conifers with constant exposure to pitch :cry: .

havent had too much problem with resin.....maybe on a rope strop rather than steelcore flipline i can see it being a problem.

rolla the other thing is this set up costs about £1 instead of the £50 a rope grab will set you back

Oh, so right about the cost differencial, Stephen. All the grabs go dear.

I am pretty much only in conifers, so the fouling of the hitch is a constant hassle. If you go back and forth from hardwoods to conifers I guess wear can take some of the pitch off, but I never get the chance. When you work up where the bark is thin and at the tips where pitch is extruded, you can't get through even one tree and still have a functioning friction hitch. I love the action of a clean hitch, but as a practical matter I just can't use them on lanyards as much as I'd like.

stephenbullman said:
i then tried tying it straight onto the d which worked great too, only problem is now the way im positioned if i'm side on to my main anchor point im finding my bridge is catching on the top of the wraps and loosening the hitch, hence i tried using the knut as it was a more compact hitch.

I have seen the same thing. I think it is just due to the compactness. With the pulley, you have a biner linked to the d-ring so the system is longer and out of the way.

I love the trade-off of the shorter system. For security, I don't rely on an end knot, I have the tail tied to the d-ring as well.

Back