Flippy caps going BYE BYE?...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marketing ploy

I figured the flimsy, leaking, hard to use flippy caps was simply a marketing ploy where they can Stihl more money from their customers. Really, you shouldn't have to pull your gloves off to simply refill your tanks. Poor design. On the old saws you never had to buy another cap unless you lost it.

I am sitting here reading a TSB about the caps...

Well I hate to say I told you so...however..."Told you so"...

New caps on the way along with new tanks to fit the older units...;)

(This only applies to trimmers and blowers for now)

So yes the flippy cap is going BYE BYE!:msp_thumbdn:

A buddy of mine has a trimmer with the affected cap situation, and he says there are times where he can't even get the cap off to refuel it. Then once it's off he has a hell of a time getting the thing back on there. Something just doesn't fit right. Perhaps it's the tank, not the cap?

My new ht131 didn't come with a flippy cap and the catalog said it should have. The fs250's and 550's don't have em either.

Roland, did you hear the one?

I know about the recall, I was just referring to that line in your sig ;)

Is it just coincidence that all those Stihl users stand in line to replace a cap that is recalled....or are those caps functioning so welll they need to be replaced "more than usual". I think I know the answer, but alas, I have to admit that flippy caps outsmart me all the time.

I hope someone finds an answer to this cap nonsense and renders Stihl a well deserved financial kick in the butt so bad, that Andreas himself makes a visit down to the engineering floor.

about a belly dancer, a flippy cap and a distinguished looking Belgium business man that walked into a tawdry dance hall in Eastern Europe and ....... (to be continued)

Replaced recalled cap.
All newest products that just came in still had "flippy caps". "Supposedly a lag in production" that accounted for the relaspe to antiques.

Do not know, do not care. The flippy caps work fine for me with no issues(even with gloves on) on multiple pieces of equipment, recalled cap did not leak.

660 caps leaking though.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has a trimmer with the affected cap situation, and he says there are times where he can't even get the cap off to refuel it. Then once it's off he has a hell of a time getting the thing back on there. Something just doesn't fit right. Perhaps it's the tank, not the cap?

The replacement works much better. I took my weedwhacker in and the cheery tech guys switched it out in seconds. I felt bad because I interrupted their sandwich munching.

Well yes of course...I mean if they made them NLA wouldnt they have to send out new gas tanks?...:msp_rolleyes:

You can still get pre flippy cap, gas caps...

So anyone else?

Yep, noticed a shipment of FS90's and FS130's recieved here were same. This was in late June. Tanks take a screw in cap with o-ring on them.

Yep, noticed a shipment of FS90's and FS130's recieved here were same. This was in late June. Tanks take a screw in cap with o-ring on them.

I started this thread in late June....

I am sitting here reading a TSB about the caps...

Well I hate to say I told you so...however..."Told you so"...

New caps on the way along with new tanks to fit the older units...;)

(This only applies to trimmers and blowers for now)

So yes the flippy cap is going BYE BYE!:msp_thumbdn:

good to know...been wondering...missed the thread originally :cheers:

I started this thread in late June....

10-4. Noticed that. However, I thought I would still comment though as didn't ever notice anyone contributing much on seeing the new caps and the thread started back up again. I don't check the forum all the time and missed your original post.

Store owner was happy to see the change.

Yup.:)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q4hIVaXlaw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just picked up a new FS250 the other day. Complete with the dumbassed flippy caps.

I don't see Stihl dumping them. Flippy caps are thier "Error stitch".

I really wish they would though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

OK I'm confused. At dealerships around here, the FS90-130 and the FS310 still have the 'flippies'. FS250's still have the screw caps. Catalog sez the same thing. The new FS360/460 (strato trimmers that unforunately 'replace' the FS340/450) have 'flippies' in the catalog. Haven't seen one in person. Was planning on getting an FS250 soon. I hope and pray they aren't producing the FS250 with the 'flippies'. That's the last real trimmer/brushcutter (not counting the uber-expensive and heavy FS550) that was still being produced without the 'flippies' (and it sure looks like it'll be phased out by the FS310 or an "FS260" strato trimmer the way things are going). Guess I need to check out the website again. The 'flippies' aren't the end of the world, but why can't they just leave the damn FS250 alone? I can understand why they make the change to a strato engine for emissions reasons (although I'm not a fan of it)....................but do they really need to put 'flippies' and sleazy-2-start crapola on a PROFESSIONAL brushcutter???

Last edited:
OK I'm confused. At dealerships around here, the FS90-130 and the FS310 still have the 'flippies'. FS250's still have the screw caps. Catalog sez the same thing. The new FS360/460 (strato trimmers that unforunately 'replace' the FS340/450) have 'flippies' in the catalog. Haven't seen one in person. Was planning on getting an FS250 soon. I hope and pray they aren't producing the FS250 with the 'flippies'. That's the last real trimmer/brushcutter (not counting the uber-expensive and heavy FS550) that was still being produced without the 'flippies' (and it sure looks like it'll be phased out by the FS310 or an "FS260" strato trimmer the way things are going). Guess I need to check out the website again. The 'flippies' aren't the end of the world, but why can't they just leave the damn FS250 alone? I can understand why they make the change to a strato engine for emissions reasons (although I'm not a fan of it)....................but do they really need to put 'flippies' and sleazy-2-start crapola on a PROFESSIONAL brushcutter???

I guess as distributors' supplies are cleared out, the trimmers coming in are without the flip-cap. If you noticed Ramrod's post on the TSB, it looks like the flip-caps are leaving the trimmers. I would guess 2012 catalog will show them without. Maybe on internet they will wait to show this until all flip-cap units are shipped out of distributors.

I agree with you on confusion and when to buy. Note, last FS90's, FS130's at shop here were without flip-caps, while FS110's had flip-caps yet. You mentioned the FS250...they had regular screw cap.

FS 250 never had toolless caps

I always thought so too, as that's what I've seen in catalogs and at the dealerships. Then I read dingerytote's post above:

Just picked up a new FS250 the other day. Complete with the dumbassed flippy caps.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hence my confusion.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well I have the TSB that I can snap some photo's of and show you that the Flippy-Caps are going away...

Back