Flooding problem 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a rebuilt 084. Tried bucking some 3-4' Cottonwood and it did fine. Then I mounted it on my mill (sideways-horizontal)and now it floods out, pushing a mist of fuel backwards out the carb when pulling it over and a steady stream while sitting. The de-comp valve has a new trail of fuel running from it. I pulled the carb and plug to let it dry out (I cranked it over trying to push any fuel out). I replaced the tank vent line,noticed it was cracked. Put it back together and it fired for a second and stalled. I have run several large saws on my mill and they all stay in the horizontal position for months without any problems. I don't know much about the fuel system- am I missing something? Where should I start?
Mark

do you know if the carb was rebuilt in that rebuild job? one of the most overlooked things in saws. that simple little needle and seat can cause all sorts of h*ll. i had an 044 carb on one say flood the heck out of it, i found out the chrome plating on the needle was peeling off and held it open at all times, dumping LOTS of fuel into the cyl. also check the intake boot. the saw i had was dumping so much fuel in the cyl full throttle was about 6,500 RPM.

NWCS said:
do you know if the carb was rebuilt in that rebuild job? one of the most overlooked things in saws. that simple little needle and seat can cause all sorts of h*ll. i had an 044 carb on one say flood the heck out of it, i found out the chrome plating on the needle was peeling off and held it open at all times, dumping LOTS of fuel into the cyl. also check the intake boot. the saw i had was dumping so much fuel in the cyl full throttle was about 6,500 RPM.
Carb was not done. It may need a kit. I find it strange that it does good when it is vertical.

Could just be a simple matter of physics. When the saw is upright, the carb is above the fuel level in the tank. If the tank is full, and you lay it on its side, the carb is below the level in the tank, so it runs out because the needle isnt closing all the way.

Latest posts

Back