Flu season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Man,the flu bug has bitten me hard this time.I havent much more than been out of the bed since friday.Finally broke over and went to Doctor yesterday morning.I made the remark to the doctor that I would definatley get a flu shot next year.He told me the vaccine that was out this year wouldnt have prevented the strain that I have.

The doctor rode me hard for going so long before treatment.He said the best treatment for the flu is get treated as soon as symptoms appear.said thing is I'm going to be contagious thru the holidays and was recommed to stay away from family members.

I have to brag on my boys though.they have keep the furnace loaded,ashes cleaned out and plenty of wood in the bin.Often wondered if they can handle this and I have to say I very pleased with their efforts

Last edited:
Props to your doc for telling you the truth. Most are only too glad to push the shots, which are HUGE moneymakers for the whole medical industry. The two years I got a flu shot because my employer offered/encouraged them at work, were the sickest I've ever been with the flu. The time required for developing a vaccine makes it anything but a sure bet that the shot you get will actually be specific to the strain you'll be exposed to. And if the shot somehow gives you some broad, general (if partial) immunity to flu bugs, you sure couldn't prove it by me. Glad you're on the way up, though, keep the fluids going. I'm partial to bourbon cut with a little honey.

i had it bad last year and my doctor prescribed me ondansetron. I started feeling really nauseous Sunday morning so I took one of the left over pills and it stopped me from throwing up. I still felt the flu symptoms but never started throwing up. I renewed the script and I will keep it on hand at all times. I hope you feel better and good luck

Props to your doc for telling you the truth. Most are only too glad to push the shots, which are HUGE moneymakers for the whole medical industry. The two years I got a flu shot because my employer offered/encouraged them at work, were the sickest I've ever been with the flu. The time required for developing a vaccine makes it anything but a sure bet that the shot you get will actually be specific to the strain you'll be exposed to. And if the shot somehow gives you some broad, general (if partial) immunity to flu bugs, you sure couldn't prove it by me. Glad you're on the way up, though, keep the fluids going. I'm partial to bourbon cut with a little honey.

Man, I wish more people would realize this. What a crock of BS the flu vaccine is for all the reasons you stated and I used to work in the biological vaccine industry. The virus that causes the flu mutates so rapidly that they can never predict what strain will hit from year to year. For those of you that insist on getting one, keep this in mind; the vaccine you got was at best, last years strain.

My doc asked me if I wanted it this year and when I refused, he looked at me like I was crazy.

I have never gotten it and never will.

High doses of Vitamin D will help prevent the flu and colds and/or make the symptoms less bothersome.
My doctor will not prescribe a drug unless absolutely necessary. I have not had a flu shot for years and havn't had the flu for years.

The doctor rode me hard for going so long before treatment.He said the best treatment for the flu is get treated as soon as symptoms appear.

What treatment? An antibiotic does no good against a virus (such as colds and flu), it only kills a bacterial infection (such as pneumonia and Lyme disease). At best, the doctor can only give you something to relieve symptoms so you can get more sleep (a rested body fights the virus more effectively) and an antibiotic (supposedly) so your weakened system won't pick-up a bacterial infection (the chances of which are slim). The best treatment for a cold or flu is plenty of rest, lots of fluids, eating well and... three fingers of whiskey before bed.

Uncle Same MAKES me get the flu shot yearly. I'm still fighting this. Big surprise, just getting over the flu and it started over two weeks ago. Flu shot is a crock-o-@#$%!!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear the kids have shown their abilities!

O.K. guys, I don't know if this works because I think it works, or it works because there is some science behind it, but when I feel the very first symptom of a cold or flu (scratchy throat, chest congestion, etc.), I take 2000mg of vitamin C, 2 capsules of echinacea every four hours and zicam every three hours. Seems to work, I haven't had a full blown cold or flu for several years.

Oh, about the flu shot, I have had two flu shots in my life and both times got a roaring case of the flu.

Last edited:
My son works in retail auto parts and swore off the flu shot four years ago after being sick, he has not been sick since. I was fine last year and got sick two days after getting the flu shot this year, no more flu shots for me! I don't care what the science says, I'm going with personal experience.

What treatment?.

He probably means something like Tamiflu which has to be given right quick after you start with symptoms. I remember taking that years ago and it gave me insomnia....I also don't get the flu shot-got one in the early 90's and got sick from it even though people disagreed with me. My chiropractor doesn't believe in them either, and tells people to gargle every morning with warm salt water as it is supposed to kill the flu bug. Don't know if that's true or not but it can't hurt....

I think these crazy viruses are being born out of this unusual weather that we are having not only here but all over the world; a gal I work with has relatives in the Phillipines and they are experiencing the same sickness symptoms as we are here in PA. Very strange, indeed.

loadthestove rest and get better, lots of water vitamin C and Echinacea as an earlier poster said. I have had a sinus/cough thing (as many others here too) and the damn thing is still hanging on after a month-it's weak but it's still saying "I'm still here" lol!!

Vaccines = voodoo. Look up a time series plot of mortality from almost any disease, and then look at when the vaccine was introduced - usually well after most of the reductions had already happened. Yet there's this great myth told that the wonders of science in the form of vaccines have saved us from the scourge of these diseases, and almost EVERYBODY buys it without question. And of course that the vaccines are absolutely safe.

Sorry for the rant - I've spent the last 11 years dealing with the effects of vaccine damage in one of my children, and I see it all around in other people's kids. Never again. It's worse than just ineffective.

Take vitamin D, we're all deficient. When the sun angle gets low (I think after about October) in the northern hemisphere, your body doesn't make much even if your skin is exposed. And if you're over about 40 you don't make as much either.

Vaccines = voodoo. Look up a time series plot of mortality from almost any disease, and then look at when the vaccine was introduced - usually well after most of the reductions had already happened. Yet there's this great myth told that the wonders of science in the form of vaccines have saved us from the scourge of these diseases, and almost EVERYBODY buys it without question. And of course that the vaccines are absolutely safe.

Sorry for the rant - I've spent the last 11 years dealing with the effects of vaccine damage in one of my children, and I see it all around in other people's kids. Never again. It's worse than just ineffective.

Take vitamin D, we're all deficient. When the sun angle gets low (I think after about October) in the northern hemisphere, your body doesn't make much even if your skin is exposed. And if you're over about 40 you don't make as much either.

The vitamin D supposedly helps your body absorb calcium too. I take one with the calcium supplement.

Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron.

Us old farts know all this for a reason.

The vitamin D supposedly helps your body absorb calcium too. I take one with the calcium supplement.

Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron.

Us old farts know all this for a reason.
Got that right!

Man,the flu bug has bitten me hard this time.I havent much more than been out of the bed since friday.Finally broke over and went to Doctor yesterday morning.I made the remark to the doctor that I would definatley get a flu shot next year.He told me the vaccine that was out this year wouldnt have prevented the strain that I have.

The doctor rode me hard for going so long before treatment.He said the best treatment for the flu is get treated as soon as symptoms appear.said thing is I'm going to be contagious thru the holidays and was recommed to stay away from family members.

I have to brag on my boys though.they have keep the furnace loaded,ashes cleaned out and plenty of wood in the bin.Often wondered if they can handle this and I have to say I very pleased with their efforts

your doctor was right. flu shots are only for certain strains, mostly for the ones they feel are going to be the most popular.

as for me, i don't get them. i'm not too keen on the idea of having them inject me with a flu strain in an effort to help me. besides, i know too many people who have had adverse effects from it, some very severe.

My experience has been just the opposite. Uncle Sam has made me get a flu shot once a year for the last 12 years and I can not remember the last time I have had a full blown case of the flu. I have been sick a day here and there and have had a cold but never anything as debilitating as what many people describe. Generally when family members get something I can get by with few or no symptoms, something that my wife catches for a week or two only gets me for a couple of days and then I am good.

My experience has been just the opposite. Uncle Sam has made me get a flu shot once a year for the last 12 years and I can not remember the last time I have had a full blown case of the flu. I have been sick a day here and there and have had a cold but never anything as debilitating as what many people describe. Generally when family members get something I can get by with few or no symptoms, something that my wife catches for a week or two only gets me for a couple of days and then I am good.
I rarely get sick either, and fight off those things I do get quickly - just no vaccinations.

My elephant repellant works very well though - I've never been bothered by an elephant since I started using it. :smile2:

Ahh, people are different and respond and in different ways - what causes problems for some doesn't for others. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to be in good shape from gathering firewood!

During my 20 year stint in the air force we had to get flu shots every year. Every year I would be sick for a couple days. Since I retired about 15 years back, I have not had a flu shot or the flu. I never understood flu shots for folks that were in good shape & excellent health. Always figured there was some high ranking politician that had friends/investments in a drug company.

snip I never understood flu shots for folks that were in good shape & excellent health. Always figured there was some high ranking politician that had friends/investments in a drug company.

Oh, I think there might be more than one high ranking politician. Flu shots are a license to print money.

This is a bit of a tangent, but the guy who used to be my doctor was my friend before he was my doctor. I met him at a cigar shop and he subscribed to my orchestra's Pops concerts, so every Saturday night after a Pops concert I'd meet him at the Morton's around the corner from the hall and BS for a while. At one point, he told me that Wednesday was his "Morton's" day. Every Wednesday, a different drug company rep would take him to lunch at Morton's. I thought, wow.

Then one year my cholesterol started nudging 200. Not quite 200, but he was very insistent that I start taking Zocor. His nurse even called to see if I'd filled my prescription, which I never did. I thought about all those lunches at Morton's, and thought, you know, 10 years ago my cholesterol was only a little lower and it was considered healthy. That was the last time I went to him, and six years later my cholesterol is still under 200. Maybe it's not the best ever, but these cholesterol drugs to me are a lot like flu shots -- they're a product, and the industry loves to sell product. I'm sure a lot of doctors always put the person first, but I just couldn't trust this guy any more. Buyer beware.

Latest posts

Back