Flying Treeman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As we were heading to find lunch this afternoon and relaxing from the stress of removing some dead sweet gum trees. We me and my wife were driving thru a subdivision and noticed a fellow spiking
his way up an oak tree curious as i was i stopped to watch him he was topping out a very nice Red oak it will probably look like one of mikes pictures. anyway he got to the top of a large branch whacked it off released his Safety Lanyard and jumped to the next branch about 6+' away :eek:
i have never tried this and Wont and was wondering if anyone else has?

Later,
David

My grandfather that lives in Fla Had a split trunk pine removed and he told me that guy jumped from one trunk to the other. So i thought i'd try to catch one before he missed.to ask him what goes on in his mind as his spikes leave the tree.

Later,
David

What's the last thing that goes through his mind before he hits the ground? His "wrecked 'em" :angel:

Do you mean he was tied in with his climbing line and just undid his laynyard. Shoot, I do that all the time. Sometimes I swing like 20 or more feet, just gotta be careful of your chainsaw smacking the landing point and cracking the case or something.

If he did this with out any safety line, then he is an idiot.

Blair has a story form his Dad like that.

He had an oak he was doing that his Dad had worked more then once in the past. Next time anyone sees Don at a conferance, button hole him and ask about the tree with the long low limb that he asked his dad how he did it.

Ummmm no mike he had No tie in he was wearing spikes a belt and a Lanyard.He untied his Lanyard
pushed off with his hooks and Landed on the next branch.I still cant figure out how he Released the spikes like that. I was amazed At any rate he was topping out an oak now it looks like a hand!

Later,
David

:blob2:

Easiest way to learn his name- read the obituaries every day, he'll show up eventually. The revenge of the hand-tree.

I went to a Vermeer/Arbormaster demo and Justin(I think) was jumping around in this huge live oak --Very impressive, of course no spikes and he was tied in. I've been doing this recently with baby jumps, but I always look at the swing I'm in for if I miss by a little. I don't think I'd try it with spikes at all. You've got to think that these guys who wear spikes for everything are lacking a little sense any way.
Greg

when you get into huge live oaks or something you have no choice but to swing from lead to lead. Otherwise it would take 5 times as long to trim out and you'd be mighty tired from all that climbing up and down. I like planning my way through a tree so I only have to ascend once, maybe twice. No big deal if you truly trust your LIFEline (I don't think it was called a lifeline by coincidence). Sometimes I have to swing at a lead a couple times before I can grab it and pull myself up on it. The fun times are when you ascend a big tree in someone's front yard, work through 3-4 trees and descend from a big tree in the back yard!:D

That is fun, not too many places like that left in MKE Cty, i gotta go out to Mass' neck of the wood for that kind of fun.

Can I come and play with you?:D

Incase i forgot to mention it There was NO Lifeline Tie in ECT Hes was on spikes with a safety Lanyard While he was midair it was him the next branch and the Ground 40' below if he missed.

Hey Guys!

That is INSANE! My question is WHY???? What in the HECK is someone like that thinking . . . is he in that big of a hurry?

My opinion is people who do things like that are just like people who commit crimes and do other things to screw up their lives which directly affect those who love them and depend on them for paternal support and financial support . . . not to mention those who love them and will be saddened at their death.

What a shame I say!

This site is a collection of some of the smartest and caring people I have ever corresponded with. I hope no one here ever un-hooks without a lifeline (like the man in question). I don't respond much but for this I had to.

Also, I appreciate Darin for founding and taking the time to maintain such a professional site. I am truly honored to be a part of Arboristsite.

Steve

Back