Flywheel Imbalance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
acguy

acguy

ArboristSite Member
I just finished replacing yet another set of crank bearings in a Stihl saw. Each of them has had severe gum and dust buildup on the flywheel. Stands to reason this might be partial cause of crank bearings going bad on a saw that doesn't look that bad. This is not a lot of data, but it seems to be a trend. It is obvious that overtightening the chain could wear them out as well.

I guess I could only spread the word to users to periodically clean the gunk out of your favorite saw's flywheel blades.

I use a small flat screwdriver, a .22 caliber gun bore copper brush, and a shop vac. I think I got about a half cup of black oily gunk out of this last one. Took ten minutes to clean it.

Mine are all clean :hmm3grin2orange:

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
I just finished replacing yet another set of crank bearings in a Stihl saw. Each of them has had severe gum and dust buildup on the flywheel. Stands to reason this might be partial cause of crank bearings going bad on a saw that doesn't look that bad. This is not a lot of data, but it seems to be a trend. It is obvious that overtightening the chain could wear them out as well.

I guess I could only spread the word to users to periodically clean the gunk out of your favorite saw's flywheel blades.

I use a small flat screwdriver, a .22 caliber gun bore copper brush, and a shop vac. I think I got about a half cup of black oily gunk out of this last one. Took ten minutes to clean it.

Mine are all clean :hmm3grin2orange:

I've got a good idea. what if you sprayed a teflon coating onto the flywheel fins, wouldn't that keep the build up from even starting?

Latest posts