Flywheel inertia splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, I have read with interest some of the discussion on splitters that have been posted from time to time. Here is my homemade flywheel splitter I just finished. After building my own outdoor woodstove, I didn't particularly want to start another project, but I can't seem to help myself.........There are more pics in the large equipment forum, here is a couple of the finished product.

Very professional looking job! Did you get plans from someplace or was this "stream of conciesness engineering"?

No PLans.

I got a brochure from a commercial model and went from there. Same thing as with my woodstove. It took some time, but if I did it again, it would be a snap.
Django

Very neat package. I read that thread I believe. Several pages long, very intresting. Tell us more about it when you get a chance.

What kind of company were those photos taken at? Looks like some nice hardware. Good job on the splitter. You could sell them, if it weren't for that pesky patent thing.

If you say it's your home shop we'll of course have to kill you. :)

Shop

Nope, not mine. It's one of my employers shops. Actually I deviated quite a bit from what you can buy. If I wanted to, I could patent it.
Having been involved in 7 patent processes with my employer, I know enough to stay away from that mess. Plus, patent lawyers are not cheap.
Django

I've seen those also. Some friends of mine are steam tractor collectors. There is also several shows a year in my area. Neat stuff. Steam is amazing as far as the power you can produce, and to the danger it can create. Just water and heat. My friend is fond of saying there is a stick of dynamite in a gallon of water.

Did you take any cues from the Super Split when you were building that very nice looking splitter? How much does your splitter weigh?

About the only thing mine has in common with SuperSplit is red paint. I did look at theirs and Gripo's for ideas. They seem to be identical.Unbelieveable how much they charge for one. They're nice, but not that nice.
Mine weighs 700lbs.

Check the Large Equipment forum. There is a couple of early pics of the basic idea.
Django

Right after you get done building your waste oil/woddburning boiler.:D

Back