flywheel removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mes261

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok... I guess im dumb but when removing a flywheel, how does inserting a string/rope into the cylinder prevent it from moving? I am having a hard time picturing how this works.

They actually make a rod that screws into the spark plug threads. If you plan on doing this more than once a good investment. Simple and no worries about leaving rope parts in there.

It doesn't prevent all movement, but like Jolly said, it will not allow the piston to go all the way up and it therefore cannot complete a rotation so it stops on the way up and you can loosen the nut without trying to hold the flywheel and breaking a fin off (speaking from experience....)

I'd think the piston would have to be in pretty bad shape for that to happen - especially assuming you slowly raise the piston to it not jam it in there. It is pushing down on the center of the piston right above where the rod is...certainly that rod is putting a whole lot more force from the bottom than piston stop is on the top. Maybe that is why there were brass ones?

I have heard stories of piston stops putting a hole in the top of the piston.

I had this happen to me on a Stihl 026 with one of those metal piston stops. Only good use for those is finding tdc to check timing. The piston was bad anyway, so no loss. You can use rope, but you need to be careful that you have the piston above the intake/exhaust ports when you start putting rope in. If you don't, there's a chance that you'll end up cutting a section of rope off when the piston comes up.

I now use a plastic stop that came in a set of ring compressors. http://www.weedeaterman.com/product_p/s97419.htm

I'd think the piston would have to be in pretty bad shape for that to happen - especially assuming you slowly raise the piston to it not jam it in there. It is pushing down on the center of the piston right above where the rod is...certainly that rod is putting a whole lot more force from the bottom than piston stop is on the top. Maybe that is why there were brass ones?

The connecting rod is attached to the piston with the wrist pin. The wrist pin is attached to the piston on the side of the piston. There is nothing under the top centre of the piston but air. The top of the piston is only about 1/4" thick (I'm going to get slammed by the builders for not having the exact thickness).

Latest posts

Back