foot ascender?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ordered the cmi yesturday morning and got it today:msp_thumbup: now the frikin rain and snow needs to go away so I can try it out might as well break in the new silky at the same time :biggrin: what a difference from the cheapo handsaws I normally use

I have a Pantin and am not too happy with it.

When using it, it tends to "pop" off the rope quite a bit when moving my leg in the up direction.

Does'nt seem to matter if it's ArborMaster BRW 13mm or Poison Ivy 11.7mm.

I have a Pantin and am not too happy with it.

When using it, it tends to "pop" off the rope quite a bit when moving my leg in the up direction.

Does'nt seem to matter if it's ArborMaster BRW 13mm or Poison Ivy 11.7mm.

They shouldnt pop off the rope at all. The safety latch or something must be broke. It doesnt sound safe to use, and you should probably send it back to the manufacture.

I will trade you for a week!

Send me your shipping info and it's a done deal.

The Dan was saying a couple of years ago that he preferred the pantin because he could kick it off the line easily when he wanted to do so. I found that appealing. I have to either raise my leg up or bend over to thumb the cam off when I want to disconnect.

Fair warning tho, mine is a righty.

Send me your shipping info and it's a done deal.

The Dan was saying a couple of years ago that he preferred the pantin because he could kick it off the line easily when he wanted to do so. I found that appealing. I have to either raise my leg up or bend over to thumb the cam off when I want to disconnect.

Fair warning tho, mine is a righty.

Mine is a righty as well, it will probably cost me as much as it's worth to ship it your way! Until I got the hang of it I was removing it like you described. I have had mine for the last 5 years and have no issues with it.

Yeah, let's just save the shipping costs and I'll find one a little closer to try out. I've got a friend here that has one and would probably let me try it out.

So can you kick it off the line without having to thumb the cam open?

Yeah, let's just save the shipping costs and I'll find one a little closer to try out. I've got a friend here that has one and would probably let me try it out.

So can you kick it off the line without having to thumb the cam open?

Yep, once you get comfortable and used to it you can. With everything it just takes practice.

I have a Pantin (RH) that I've been using about 5 years. When I first started, the rope would often pop out unexpected. I determined it had to do with how I was moving my leg as I brought the knee up. Now, I don't have that problem and can kick it out when I want, and can often get the rope back in without reaching down. The only complaint I have is it moves around on the shoe too much. I moves less on the boots, but even then it is more than I would like.
Rick

i have pantin r&l foot and i had one fall off my foot completely (not while useing) it just losend upo during the climb and fell off and i never noticed, but it dosnt take much to reach down now and then and give the strap a tug. never tried cmi

NCTree has a pantan and it poped off his foot a couple times ther other day. The cmi has a knuckle that doesnt let it open up far enough to let the rope come out.

I've used a rh pantin off and on for several years. A great trick It's nice for is if you're hip thrusting w/ vt or distel, u can just kick your feet out to tend your slack instead of stopping to tend slack out if you reef the line hand over hand like a lot of guys do. I spliced up an extension for my rope bridge tho, so my system no longer generates slack during an ascent. The pantin is Great for srt, and my pantin will kick right off like others have said. If youre new to using it, try to remember to keep your upper body more vertical with your climb line, and keep your foot parallel with the ground, and your shin in a vertical line. That will help the rope glide thru it easier, and prevent it from slipping out.

Thanks for the tip lustrian, I have also had this problem in the past. Thumb up on staying vertical! I got my pantin earlier this year and noticed the straps loosening on me when climbing. I double and triple checked the routing of the straps and the instructions. If the straps were more secure that would be a big plus. Also I do like the convenience of being able to just kick it off as long as I have my hitch set with the RW. Thinkin of getting Petzl handled ascender going on sale at Bailey's for $55 but I really like the looks of the Kong Futura. Any opnions on those hand ascenders?

Thanks for the tip lustrian, I have also had this problem in the past. Thumb up on staying vertical! I got my pantin earlier this year and noticed the straps loosening on me when climbing. I double and triple checked the routing of the straps and the instructions. If the straps were more secure that would be a big plus. Also I do like the convenience of being able to just kick it off as long as I have my hitch set with the RW. Thinkin of getting Petzl handled ascender going on sale at Bailey's for $55 but I really like the looks of the Kong Futura. Any opnions on those hand ascenders?

I've heard many people complain about the futura, calling it junk. I've never tried it, but I have petzl ascension. It's nice, you can put a Biner under the cam so it doesnt unlock all the way, preventing your rope from slipping out. There's also more than just one hole to snap gear into which is nice. And it has the thumb lever for the cam making it easy to unlock when you want it to. I'd prefer the petzl over the Kong also because the ascencion has a better handle imo.

The Petzl seems like it would be better/easier on the wrist. Don't know since I haven't used any. Perhaps I will start a new thread.

Latest posts

Back