foot ascender?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my combo is a petzl Double handled Ascentree ascender, and a CMI foot ascender.

i really don't like the pantin, but the double hand ascender petzl makes is great, for the reasons Iustinian mentioned. (thumb lock, good ergonomics, light)

But the CMI foot ascender is beefier and way better than the petzl. the straps are much better, and the cam seems less "clinky"

Last edited:
The pantin needs to be tighten / pulled hard and after that it will stay just nice.
Lots of arborist never seem to adjust them to the proper fit on their boots and when set to high or low it can easily come loose.

I use the pantin for quite some time and every now and then the rope slips out, just like said before it's a typical problem when your foot isn't pushed in the right direction. Tried the kong footascender and that one is just way to big ! The CMI hasn't been on my foot yet ;-)

The pantin stays for most jobs on my shoe and when I come home at the end of the day it's probably still on ;-)
Best hardware to have around and worth it's weight in gold IMO

Climb safe

My pantin tends to get loose as well and hurts like hell when rides up. I was thinking of adding like a bandit rubber band to the bottom strap.

They shouldnt pop off the rope at all. The safety latch or something must be broke. It doesnt sound safe to use, and you should probably send it back to the manufacture.

Its not a safety issue because its not life support and that is the difference between the two foot ascenders.I use the Pantin and sometimes its a pain when the rope pops out but I like it because its easy to pop out when you want to as opposed to the CMI which is a very nice tool too. You just have to be more careful with the Pantin.
I tied a knot in the straps to keep them from slipping out of adjustment.

My pantin tends to get loose as well and hurts like hell when rides up. I was thinking of adding like a bandit rubber band to the bottom strap.

If I read your experience it sure sounds like it's not adjusted at all and def need to be adjusted for better fit. It's probably too low set and it kind of twists your foot ?

I use the pantin with very soft hiking shoes (merrell)

Try to adjust it and see how it performs ;-)

topbrich001.jpg

I have adjusted it and rerouted the straps a couple of times to make sure I had the correct way. As for my experience I started using the foot ascender and handled ascender as of February of this year. So I still have allot to learn. This site has been my goto guide along with youtube. Don't really know allot of climbers here. The few I know are old school.I may just tie that knot like in the pick that Treemandan posted.

Thanks! Mark

Mine doesn't come loose -- but if it did, I would probably thicken the strap by throwing a few stitches in it with one of my splicing needles and wax twine, or lockstitching it in place.

Latest posts

Back