For all in the know where is the proper cut to fell a tree --> img

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
:givebeer:
cut.jpg

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
The way I see it is 2b is the Humboldt and 3b is the conventional cut. The reason for the stepped notch is a precaution of the tree kicking back over the stump at you. I've seen where even 1b is now the "new" way of doing it with a 50 degree notch. The sloped cut screws you if you misjudge the lean or it sits back on you, because wedging becomes a problem and it wants to drive the wedge in a pushing motion rather than a lifting motion. I personally use the conventional because of the ease of it and I see it better than the Humboldt, but thats my personal preference and I'm not logging so it doesn't hurt my pocket book.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
1b open face3bconventional is what I use mostly. the humbolt or lumberman's notch is for squaring purposes in timber operations and I use it sometimes topping a dead conifer to make the top land flat!

Last edited:
NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Hmmm I have tried dutchman but

have never got one to work.

From what I understand the Dutchman is supposed to rotate the tree by leaving a flat on the under-cut.

If I was to guess, I would think its use is mostly for conifers.
The trees I tried it on were American Elm most likely too much weight and torque.
not sure if this will show it but :popcorn:
dutchman.GIF

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Out of curiosity Rope, what do you see wrong with 3c? It's the way I was taught by a GOL certified cutter. I know there's a possible kickback of the log issue, but is there something else I'm missing?

Latest posts