For those that sell bundles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For those that sell firewood bundles at businesses what do you have for “racks” or “cribs” to put the bundles in.. my area has most of them endrails you put on a 2X4 and fill them but one place I’m trying to get into said he would like them under a roof.. This got me thinking what others build or use or just make the company get one and you fill it??

I sell to two places. One is just inside the door against the wall. Nothing.

The other sits outside, so I built a little rack for it. It's a 3x3 pallet with some 1x material which hold up a roof of some kind of rubbery canvas. It was all junk I had laying around and slapped together. It's not perfect, but it holds together and doesn't look too bad. I can fit probably 20 bundles in there. It's pretty light also, so it can be moved easily.

I do not store shrink wrapped bundles if possible. The wrap can deteriorate more. When orders come in I can easily hire some one just to wrap. They are seasonal entry level workers. They have to be paid what it takes to get the work done. I try to keep some bundles on hand at all times, but things happen so can run low. Here it depends on the year if there is potential profit or not. So I react accordingly. For storing it depends on the amount of space you have. They can be stack up to six feet high. It is much better to build racks. I use pallets for every thing because they are free just have to go get them. I even put them side ways to support the next shelf up. Old plywood can be used at the back to keep them from falling over. Bundles are looking like a huge potential profit compared to bulk wood that I sell. However prices right now have increased over 100% in the last year. Thanks

I do not store shrink wrapped bundles if possible. The wrap can deteriorate more. When orders come in I can easily hire some one just to wrap. They are seasonal entry level workers. They have to be paid what it takes to get the work done.

Ted, you must have a better supply of workers that can wrap bundles. I have tried just about everyone that came thru my operation on "bundling". Most are not capable, and several times I ended up slitting the wrap and re-doing it. too big, too small, too loose, too uneven. It's retail, it HAS to be nice.

Retail locations I have, one is under the porch outta the rain. Another is just a cage, and the campgrounds are pretty basic... A pallet could be made into a very nice little display. Vertical 2x4's build a little shingle roof on it. nice. People like wood that isn't wet from rain.

Pat in general my workers are pure ******. I have no problem getting workers when the weather is right because they can not do any thing else. When the ski areas are open then it is not always easy, because the ski areas employ hundreds of workers. I try to make my bundling machine fool proof so that the bundles come out kind of nice. Some times when demand is good I can hire people to help do every thing else and I can do some bundling. When paying I have to pay well and not pay for really sloppy work. I look at it as a balance act. Now and then Some will want work that can perform well, but as soon as they get real bored they dissappear. Thanks

Don't make it your problem.

However they want to store what they buy is up to them.

Back