For y'alls viewing displeasure. A Black Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
Well, I said I would post a video so here it is of the black birch I felled earlier today. (see what happens when this site is down)

I did have 3 tie lines on it as well as a tow chain and 2 tow straps. Two of the tie lines, one per trunk were placed about 35 feet up and tied to a single come-along which was attached to a tow strap which was wrapped around a yellow poplar to keep from damaging the poplar n then cinched up tight.The tow chain and other tow strap were wrapped around the tree at two different heights in the event this tree was hallow. Plus since it was also two trees that had grown together I figured the tow strap would keep it from separating. The third tie line was placed above the 2nd tow strap and secured to another tree further up the hill. Not pulled tight. just a precaution in the event the tree might decide to tip since it was leaning and heavy on the backside. From experience, I have had them leave the stump sideways being heavy on the one side like that.

I had initially thought that this tree may be hollow since it didn't sound out right which is why the extra precautions. This is not one of my better fells but it isn't the worst either. I did try for two videos, but since I'm so butt eff'n ugly, one camera refused to record once I entered the picture and turned itself off. That's the only reason I can figure anyway. The other was attached to my helmet which I almost forgot to turn it on.

So brace yourself for a little better than 15 minutes of sheer boredom while I fell this firewood tree. BTW, it takes me almost 7.5 minutes just to make the face cut! :dizzy:

[video=youtube;Ta_dgLTvTFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_dgLTvTFs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Well, not the prettiest drop but I've seen plenty which were far worse. Done a few of those myself. I think your back cut angle was fighting you a bit. Were you also fighting a back lean? Either way it got on the ground away from expensive things and you're safe and that's all that matters. When did you pick up the Poulan?

Awesome, you got it to fall where ya wanted it too.:clap:

Yep, though it wasn't one of my better fells, I'm still kind of proud of this one. :msp_w00t: I didn't have to adjust the notch, though the back cut leave a bit to be desired. Still, having it go where you want it to is always a plus. :msp_biggrin:

Well, not the prettiest drop but I've seen plenty which were far worse. Done a few of those myself. I think your back cut angle was fighting you a bit. Were you also fighting a back lean? Either way it got on the ground away from expensive things and you're safe and that's all that matters. When did you pick up the Poulan?

I was definitely fighting a back lean as well as a side lean. It was also heavy one the back left side (if you were looking at it from where I made the notch) Add to it being on a healthy slope! :msp_scared:

I think I picked up that poulan 5020 back in February for $175 on Amazon. I was tempted recently to pick up a rebuilt Husqvarna 61, but really I'm glad I passed on it. It would have been to heavy for me to control n for some reason that poulan felt really heavy today.

Oh well, I don't do too awful bad for an old lady! :msp_biggrin:

Storm, come over to the F&L forum.

I just took a little look around over there n I'm not so sure I would fit in.

BTW, a couple of months back I was offered a job by a local logging firm after I had felled a handful of poplar n oak for a friend. I had to decline more because I don't think I'm that good. Plus, I'm not all that fast.

Nice job Dude. :) Nice black driving gloves. :msp_biggrin: Great theater for the unwashed masses. :clap:

Dude??? Yikkkes! I'm an old dudette! I just turned 62 ten days ago (n still going strong)!

The gloves I picked up from the local hardware store for about $10. N they're a but on the BIG side, but I like black leather so I snagged a pair. I generally go through at least a pair of gloves, no matter who makes them and no matter how expensive or inexpensive they are, in a month.

Hmm, which is better, being called a crack whore like Road King Girl or being called a DUDE! Another conundrum! :msp_scared:
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/243663.htm

I understand this is a profits driven site, which is what capitalism is all about. But you have to understand there are some AS members that have been around the block before, and understand the art of theater/drama for generating more clicks and more money, which is all fine by me. :cheers:

That Critical Thinking course at University wasn't a waste of time after all. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back