Ford 8N

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rope, one of my granddad's had two 801 Ford powermaster's, he had loaders on both, wheel weighted to the azz, they were good tractors, used them up to the day he died. They brought about 3k each.
My cousin just picked up a Ford 3000 industrial for use in his chicken house for 800.00 all it needed was a new carb. It came with the industrial loader, it was a hell of a buy imho. I'd love to have it to use in our business.

just one thing to remember on the David Browns is parts are getting hard to find and some of them can only be bought used I have a 995 good little tractor and heavy for the HP it is but when you need a part it can be a nightmare the hydraulics are slow on the loader but it will lift a mountain and you never run out of gears

just one thing to remember on the David Browns is parts are getting hard to find and some of them can only be bought used I have a 995 good little tractor and heavy for the HP it is but when you need a part it can be a nightmare the hydraulics are slow on the loader but it will lift a mountain and you never run out of gears

That's what I noticed on the DB's... the only parts available on one site are water pumps, they have nothing else for them, just water pumps for a few models. And they were around 100 bucks, unlike the 8N which were a measly 20 or so bucks.

Are the parts for a Ford 800 like rope has easy to find and fairly cheap?

That's what I noticed on the DB's... the only parts available on one site are water pumps, they have nothing else for them, just water pumps for a few models. And they were around 100 bucks, unlike the 8N which were a measly 20 or so bucks.

Are the parts for a Ford 800 like rope has easy to find and fairly cheap?

Yup lol I have rebuilt my pump,and changed my pto shaft that was wollerd before I bought my tractor you can find most parts for it new.

just google ford 800 lol it will list parts!

Last edited:
ProMac, Case/IH put their label on the David Browns during the early 80's same mechanicals, different sheet metal, they went front the old rounded look to a big boxy slant hood. Although high priced you can still get most parts thru them, we've got a old 990 DB, the sucker has to have close to 18k hours on it, other than a clutch and routine maint it has been one hell of a chore tractor. We just use it for loading round bales anymore, once in a while it'll go on the 7' tiller in the chicken houses. It's rated at about 56hp compared to 43-45hp on the 880/885, the 1190 case is the same as a 885, the 1290 same as a 990, I think all the way thru 1490 Cases, possibly the 1690 were David Browns, wrapped in Case sheet metal. The little 485/585 Case/IH's weren't bad either. We had a 585 we bought new for a while, it was a decent tractor.
Be sure and give the little 4000 Fords a close look, they were an excellent small acreage machine.

ProMac, Case/IH put their label on the David Browns during the early 80's same mechanicals, different sheet metal, they went front the old rounded look to a big boxy slant hood. Although high priced you can still get most parts thru them, we've got a old 990 DB, the sucker has to have close to 18k hours on it, other than a clutch and routine maint it has been one hell of a chore tractor. We just use it for loading round bales anymore, once in a while it'll go on the 7' tiller in the chicken houses. It's rated at about 56hp compared to 43-45hp on the 880/885, the 1190 case is the same as a 885, the 1290 same as a 990, I think all the way thru 1490 Cases, possibly the 1690 were David Browns, wrapped in Case sheet metal. The little 485/585 Case/IH's weren't bad either. We had a 585 we bought new for a while, it was a decent tractor.
Be sure and give the little 4000 Fords a close look, they were an excellent small acreage machine.

Yup I found a nice well mint 4000 with ps and original ford loader but they want 7k, it really is worth it a tractor without a loader is just not the same lol. I if I had it to do over again would of got a diesel 30 hp 4 wd with a loader and bit the bullet on price. I am happy with my tractor its just you need a loader, if I would of thought long and hard I may have waited until I found at least an 800 with ps and loader, instead I ended up buying a skid steer lol. What we all need is a few million to play with:dizzy:

You can go to tractorhouse.com or farmers fastline.com and find about any kind of tractor. Will let you see whats out there, might hit on a good deal.

Rope, I think you done the right thing, I'd love to have a skid steer, man are those things handy. It's unbelievable all the attachments you can buy for one. Like you said if we just had the money. One of my neighbors bought a 95hp CAT skid steer on tracks last year, damn that thing can do a **** load of work. It's so out of whack here on tractor prices, you have to look high and low for a deal on a small tractor, they are high priced compared to the larger high hp tractors. All the Laotians moving in and buying up all the small 20-60 acre places, they all garden extensively and raise there own chickens, hogs and beef have put a high demand on the little tractors. One guy has made a killing buying all the japanese import small tractors in and selling them, mainly 18-30 hp small garden size, anywhere from 2500.00-6000.00 for the little things, he sells the little 36-48" tillers and 4' brush hogs, lots of people buying them. The boys broke the hood on the little Deere last year, they want 500.00 for a new one, I said the hell with that, until we quit cutting firewood and using it to pull up tops it is going hoodless. It'll just get tore up again. The plastic hoods weren't meant to use in the woods.lol One thing I would make sure I got on any tractor is at least two rear hydraulic remotes, it is just handy to have.

Well, pops and I went out and looked at the 8N, and wow, it's been very well taken care of and possibly restored/redone at one time.

Proof (hour) meter says 130 hours... paint looks new, and everything has been greased/oiled, whatever it needed. Runs so damn quiet that you can barely hear it puttering away, and appears to have a 12V conversion done to it at some time. I like the 8N... :)

My dad thinks it may have been redone with new paint/refreshed engine, etc. I think it's all original. She claims it to have been used very little, and it was her sister's, hence the sentimental value (3200 buck price tag) with the included roller (shot, it's real rusty, and wouldn't do well smoothing out a lawn) a King Kutter reversible rear blade (back when the implement color was blue) and a rear bucket, only rear facing attachment style... the blade and bucket are in great shape, the tractor is basically immaculate, and the tires on the tractor are like brand fricking new (that ain't cheap...)

We commented on how nice it is and how much we liked it, and will go back if she doesn't sell it in a couple of months. Maybe she will come down in the price then, especially if her house has sold since this visit today. She's downsizing her property, so will not need a tractor to help maintain the property. She said she just maintained it and kept it running, and it's obvious that she cherishes the tractor. Her voice was crackling with sadness as she mentioned her sister was the original owner of the 8N.

We are not the kind of jerks that go around and slam someone down with reality of the value of their objects, unless the person insists we tell them what the average value is for the item. It was undoubtedly clear that this tractor is to only go to someone that will take care of it, and will ensure it goes on to see the future, it is that sentimental to her, and I don't blame her for being sentimental about it, I'm that way about some of the stuff I got from my grandpa. I wouldn't sell them for anything.

I would have to agree with your dad, sounds like it has had a restoration done. The original paint on 8n's faded very badly, and was pretty thin. The new rubber is a pretty tell tale sign of a restoration at some point, the hour meter is likely to have rolled several times, all the little Model A engines run very quiet. She is high for that kind of tractor, I understand the sentimental attachment, but with the tractor's limitations as to what it can do I'd forget about it. If you want an 8 or 9n you should be able to find a very sound machine for 1200-1500.00. Massey Ferguson also made little machines that were almost identical the TO-20 and T0-30. When my dad was alive, back in the late 70's and early 80's we would buy 8n's and the little masseys and paint them, tune them up and flip them, it sounds like the ladies sister bought one like we would have restored. The serial number will tell you what year the tractor was made. If it is original and clean it should have a grease gun holder on the drivers rear fender.

I would have to agree with your dad, sounds like it has had a restoration done. The original paint on 8n's faded very badly, and was pretty thin. The new rubber is a pretty tell tale sign of a restoration at some point, the hour meter is likely to have rolled several times, all the little Model A engines run very quiet. She is high for that kind of tractor, I understand the sentimental attachment, but with the tractor's limitations as to what it can do I'd forget about it. If you want an 8 or 9n you should be able to find a very sound machine for 1200-1500.00. Massey Ferguson also made little machines that were almost identical the TO-20 and T0-30. When my dad was alive, back in the late 70's and early 80's we would buy 8n's and the little masseys and paint them, tune them up and flip them, it sounds like the ladies sister bought one like we would have restored. The serial number will tell you what year the tractor was made. If it is original and clean it should have a grease gun holder on the drivers rear fender.

Ah, did not see a grease gun holder... that wasn't on there, or I might've missed it. The little toolbox near the battery does have some tools in it, you know, everything an engine equipped vehicle back then needed, screwdriver, wrench, etc.

From what I've been reading, it runs 5 ft mowers fine, and generally speaking, with less fuel usage compared to some newer tractors. It has the heavy duty front bumper on it, and the pull ring on the bumper too. I noticed it wouldn't be hard to slap a few suitcase weights on it and bolt them together.

I think this tractor would do what we would need it to do, but if she absolutely must have 3200 for it, we will go for the 800 that we found for 3800, with the forks and front bucket...

That price is high for an 8N. Sentiment causes people to keep things they don't need. If she is selling it, her sentiments do not add one dollar to the value. It is a piece of equipment and unless she has a photo of Henry Ford sitting on it, it is only worth what an 8N in excellent condition is worth. 8N's are a good tractor for mowing. If you have other tasks for it, I think you need to move up a notch. A diesel powered Ford 3000 or 4000 can be had for $4000 to $5000 and is way more tractor but still very economical fuel wise. Parts are also very available for them. These were made from 1965 to 1975. (The 4000 was made earlier but the earlier ones are different and not as desirable in my opinion). I have experience on all these models and they are very mechanically reliable.

One note: It is going to be a better deal to buy a tractor in good condition than to buy a cheaper "fix it up" version. So the 8N may not be far off value wise if that is the model of tractor you want, but I think you need more tractor based on your statement of intended usage.

Latest posts

Back