Ford Chisel Plow Wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeLoreanDMC81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Ford Chisel Plow. I am mostly looking for a 7 foot or a 10 foot. So if anyone has one for sale or knows where one is please contact me at anytime at [email protected].

Thanks for your help!!

James

Any small ones are at junk price here. The big draw is 3pt units used as root rakes.

Bill

Well, I really want a Ford because we are a true die hard Ford family here! Plus we used to have a Ford chisel plow at our farm, till everything was auctioned off. So we are just trying to get back what we used to have, and it has to be a Ford. I am looking for a 7 to 10 shank chisel plow with a 3 point hookup. Don't worry it's not going to be a 8n or 9n that pulls it, it will either be our Ford 4600SU or Ford 7600. None of that small tractor stuff for us!

Thanks,

James

I've got a 50' 8n and I'd be willing to bet it'll pull a 7 ft. Its a fine workin little piece of history that deserves respect. Now I do appreciate the difference in hp b/n large and small tractors as my 4010JD with 4020 rebuild kit puts out about 94 hp. :)

those fords have alot of horses but now way to get it to the ground. There isn't enough tractor there. Too light.

gumneck said:
Do you know this by experience? I've not tried (dont have that implement) so I'm asking.

Yes I have a "bit" of experience on this issue. We are farming the same piece of land since the 1850's. The old rules of thumb are:

Disk or FC 5HP/Foot of width
Plow 10HP/Foot of width
Chisel 10HP/Shank
Disk Chisel 15HP/Shank

With today's plow depths these are a bit low. We used to chisel ground at 8 inches now we try to rip it at 14 inches and it takes well over 30HP per shank. As for the Ford 8N it was first sold in late 1947 with a 4 speed tranny. It produced about 20Hp and pulled a 6foot disk, 2 bottom 12" share plow, 2 row cultivator, small dirt slip, wierd manure loader, and countless other attachments. We still have one of the last 2N's that was built in early 1947 just before the 8N.

Yes I have experience

Bill

Bill G said:
Yes I have a "bit" of experience on this issue. We are farming the same piece of land since the 1850's. The old rules of thumb are:

Disk or FC 5HP/Foot of width
Plow 10HP/Foot of width
Chisel 10HP/Shank
Disk Chisel 15HP/Shank

With today's plow depths these are a bit low. We used to chisel ground at 8 inches now we try to rip it at 14 inches and it takes well over 30HP per shank. As for the Ford 8N it was first sold in late 1947 with a 4 speed tranny. It produced about 20Hp and pulled a 6foot disk, 2 bottom 12" share plow, 2 row cultivator, small dirt slip, wierd manure loader, and countless other attachments. We still have one of the last 2N's that was built in early 1947 just before the 8N.

Yes I have experience

Bill

That's great.

04ultra said:
Bill did you see the V-8 Flat head conversion for the little n's

Yes I have seen them. There are actually quite a few Funk conversions around. There a a 6cyl here that was sold on an auction. I think it went for around $1500-$1800. Two years ago the Baraboo show featured Ford tractors. You would be amazed at the weird things that were done with the N series. They still continue today to be one of the cheapest engines to rebuild.

Bill

http://home.att.net/~jmsmith45/funk.htm

Latest posts

Back