ford gas bucket truck worth buying??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions on this truck. Dont have a lot of money to invest in my first bucket truck. I like the reach of this one but worried about gas engine on this size truck, and also the separate pony motor. Any advice would be great, thanks

1988 f-700 429 gas motor lrv 3 60foot reach pony motor runs lift or pto
New paint no problems ready for work.10, 500 or best offer .
also under cdl weight 20, 000 lbs

I don't think that sounds bad as long as you make sure the boom is in good shape. I don't think there is anything wrong with gas engines. Pony motors are a bonus IMO. We use gas engines because we have many remote locations that we use year-round to keep equipment close to the work. There isn't always access to plug in diesel engines overnight and there isn't always a place close by that sells diesel fuel. Just check it over carefully. New paint means nothing.

My Bucket is gas. Works well. Enough power to drive around, slow up hills though. Easy to work on/ fix. Starts easy in the cold. Had it for 8 years, minimal problems. If you havn't run a few booms run a bunch in different conditions so you know what tight and worn out feels like. I prefer High rangers too. Less maintenance, etc. Good luck,

Mike

Have you looked into what the cable replacement cost is? What condition are those cables in?
This will be a great learning experience for you, and I do hope you will keep readers here informed of your upcoming trials, tribulation, and hopefully, success. (ie. continued existence)
Wishing you well as you embark on this exciting adventure into the unknown.

I run gas as well

That price sounds on the high end to me. That is an old unit no matter how you put it.

Fyi mine is older than that.

I like no electronics on my hydraulics. They just dont have the issues.

I see 2000 yr models for that kind of price. Fleet type trucks

The truck/boom your looking at should be in great operating condition for that price.

Check the cylinder psi on pony motor. Gauges csn be rented or cheap to buy.
You can check truck engine too.

Go for a good test drive

Fly that bucket checking for settling or excessive slop in rotation. Then ride in it and get the feel of it.

It will make you money if its not needing large fixes.

Hows the brskes and tires

Timberjak

Thanks for the reply guys, looked at the truck yesterday, it looks like an 88' but not to bad. It is an old aspluhnd truck so it does have the dump bed as well. I would imagine that adds value. It has a newly rebuilt hydro pump that looks to be in good condition and couldnt see any leaks. Two of the tires need to be replaced. Truck starts well but sounds like the starter might be out of allignment, just doesnt sound normal when it engages. The boom seemed to operate well, very fast imo, but what do I know. The seller stated that he replaced anything that went wrong with it. Or fixed I should say. Not sure about cables didt get thst far into it yet. Just afraid it could potentially be a money pit, but cant afford anything newer

Just wanted some opinions on this truck. Dont have a lot of money to invest in my first bucket truck. I like the reach of this one but worried about gas engine on this size truck, and also the separate pony motor. Any advice would be great, thanks

1988 f-700 429 gas motor lrv 3 60foot reach pony motor runs lift or pto
New paint no problems ready for work.10, 500 or best offer .
also under cdl weight 20, 000 lbs
Call Altec and ask them what updates it would need by now prob all of them. Also ask them if they can even work on a unit that old at all ,you might get stuck with this.

On second thought....$10,500 might be a little expensive but it's tough to say without seeing it. I have a buddy who spent about $40k for a late 80's Ford with an Aerial Lift Of Connecticut but the boom was completely rebuilt immediately before he bought it and the truck ran perfectly. That was a good number of years ago. I once sold a 1985 GMC with a Lift-all for $1500 just because we had to get rid of it. The boom was great but the truck was old and pretty worn out. My experience is that 50-60 ft booms are hard to sell to anyone besides tree guys. So if the guy is having a hard time finding a buyer....maybe he will sell it for cheaper.

im starting to have second thoughts. cleaning hydro fluid off of expensive driveways or lawns doesn't seem to profitable . of course the same could be said about my grinder

When I bought an old forestry bucket years ago I was a happy camper, but wondering whether it was gonna kill or bankrupt me led me to sell it about six years later.....with no regrets, back then or now.
I'm fairly mechanical, and would spend a lot of spare time working on it.
Listen to that little voice in the back of your head.

Thinking of investing into something I can get into back yards . Mini skidsteer maybe? I would only be able to use the bucket truck in front yards most of the time. Ill keep climbing, keeps you in shape anyway

The LR3 has primary cables that need to be replaced every 5 years at a cost of $5,000. This is the main problem with those old booms and why we try hard not to buy them. Chances are real good this guy has never replaced them.

He hasnt, thank you for the heads up cal. By the way the whole phone and chainsaw investment idea is priceless

Back