ford industrial gas engine question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman31

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an older model Vermeer vibratory plow tractor. I originally bough it for the backhoe.(which ironically is on the front) I've removed the backhoe and am currently converting the cable plow apparatus to a proper 3 point hitch. I'd like to change the transmission from the current T-18 manual to a C-4 or C-6 automatic with a manual valve body. This would make it more like a shuttle shift arrangement. The engine is a ford industrial 4 cyl gas. Nobody around here seems to know much about the bolt pattern on the flywheel end. Anybody have a guess as to whether a ford automatic will bolt up? Any guess on the crankshaft bolt pattern? What flexplate to use?

I frequently use this thing to skid logs. It's got plenty of power, 4 wheel drive, and it runs like a watch!

I believe that I had a T-18 in my 86 F-250, 4X4, with a 6.9. It took GL-4 gear oil. Take the bell housing to a truck trans shop/wrecker and hopefully it is a standard pattern. A drive line shop should be able to make a drive shaft for you.

If it's got the T-18 now then you'll probably be able to make the swap since that was used in F-150s, 250's and 350s from the 70s too early 90s. 4 speeds with granny gear mostly. Any idea the size of the 4cyl. motor?

Its doubtful you will find a C-6 transmission to fit that motor. The C-6 bellhousing is cast into the case of the tranny. The C-6 bellhousing pattern was cast to fit the 6 bolt SBF, 335 series, 385 series and FE-FT series Ford motors.

The C-3 , C-4 , C-5 and FMX ( Hydro-Matic ) all had removable bellhousings. And a wide variety of use throughout the years. You should be able to find an older 4 cyl car with a C-3/C-4 that has a matching bellhousing pattern. The starter bolts to the transmissin on nearly all Fords. There is a difference between starters to fit an automatic and a standard. The nose piece on a starter for the automatic goes in about 3/8" further then it does on a standard and will cause problems with the bendix not disengaging. When you find the right bellhousing/tranny just get the flexplate and starter with it. Take the flywheel and the flexplate to a machine shop and have the flexplate balanced to match the original flywheel. If both are 'zero balance' or internally ballanced, as a lot of Fords are, this step wont be necessary. It still wont hurt to have them checked against each other.

There is the possibility that JC Whitneys makes an adapter to mate a SBF/BBF/FE-FT C-6 to your engine and they could tell you what tooth count is needed for the flexplate to fit the starter location on their adapter.

Hmmm... thinking out loud.

I'm not sure about your setup but it is possible that your bellhousing has ears cast into it for the rear motor mounts. This is very common in Ford Trucks and equipment Powered by Ford. If it has the rear motormounts cast into the bellhousing you will be looking a long time to find an automotive transmission to fit that application. They just dont exist.

Is the engine ?balanced

Internally or externally? These are all things that need to be considered.

aod

I believe that an AOD out of a mustang with the 2.3l 4 banger should work, but not concrete. If you know a junker he may let you take some stuff and try for a fit. You are probably gonna have to fab some stuff. If it were me i'd stick with the manual it'll outlast all anyway! Good luck man

I considered that..

I considered staying with the manual transmission. This unit was used strictly for backhoe work but I sold my loader tractor (which was shuttleshift) and I find as I get older that the clutch gets harder to push in. The geometry of the clutch pedal is all wrong and judging from what I see through the inspection hole this thing has a MONSTER clutch!

As always thanks for everybody's input. This place is a wealth of knowledge!!

I believe that an AOD out of a mustang with the 2.3l 4 banger should work, but not concrete. If you know a junker he may let you take some stuff and try for a fit. You are probably gonna have to fab some stuff. If it were me i'd stick with the manual it'll outlast all anyway! Good luck man

Be careful if you decide to use the AOD. The throttle pressure is very touchy. Too low and they shift quick and slip. Automatics don't need to slip much before they are toast.

I don't know what motor you have, but a lot of the industrial engines used the Ford small block bolt pattern. If yours does, There are a lot of transmissions avaliable. Even the C-6 came in the small block bolt pattern for some pick ups. It uses (wastes) a lot of power and I don't think it would be needed for your application. With a low geared final drive and a four cylinder most C-4's would probably work, stay away from the early model ones and ones out of small engine cars. An FMX from a mid 80's F250 would be ideal.
It is also important to add a radiator with a trans cooler built in.

Back