looking for 'newer' to me pickup or SUV-questions on your experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find one 97 F250, not a super duty more like a heavy 1/2 ton, used the same body as the f150 but the heavier trany and axels under. prior to that apx 97 date ford called them a 5/8 or heavy 1/2 ton. still a torsion bar front end. like some else mentioned floor shift for 4x4 or dash dial some were a manual linkage. I have 99 f350 v10 manual 4x4 manual hubs solid truck but hell on fuel. I have had 6.9 and 7.3 ford Diesels. 6.9 was an 85 f350 work truck plow truck sent it down the rd. in 06 frame was giving up, body long gone. 6.9 was about the last of the non-emmsion units. 3 headaches with the 7.3 ( still a good rig though) is the turbo and the wiring for the injectors is placed in the head gasket, yep oil pan rot inside to outside. the 2, 6 liter desiels after the 7.3 i would not bother with. Although the guys over on the desiel forum have worked out most of the bugs. most of the problems caused by emission control garbage, that and the proverbial asian supplied electronic parts failure ( not limited to ford - across the board)

Mine is a 2000 with 108K mikes..I have had no issue with the wiring yet...
I have replaced the engine oil cooler, it rotted from salt..I replaced all the brake lines..I replaced the hydro-boost (power steering) lines...wheel bearings (F550 diesel 4x4 with a 9' plow)..front drive shaft CV joint (WTF!?) and U-joints...fuel pump...transmission because of the leaky seal...rear main seal on the engine (because I could when the trans was replaced)..and I replaced the GPR with a top quality unit- and wired it direct to a switch on the dash. No more 7 second GP cycles (not enough in cold weather) and no wasted GP cycles (The GPR comes on every time you turn the key as stock, wears them out prematurely). Now I can start it @ -10F with just the glow plugs. I hold the switch for 45 seconds to a full minute, and bang!

I will need to replace the oil pan soon, and when I have that done I will also send the cab to my friends shop for a complete facelift- new corners, rockers, paint, the works..and new fenders too when it goes back together. I have run the numbers a dozen times: It's far more cost effective for me to fix the one I own outright than buy a new one. Even if I spend $10K doing it. And the frosting on this cake is that I prefer the style and interior of the 2000 over the hideous new Super Duty.

tks to all for great info.
I have not disappeared, been reading the posts just not reply.
Son's wedding has taken priorities.

I need to tow more than haul, so not looking for a large pickup. Been there done that, but now I am in the city. I occasionally have some bigger loads, but the trailers work there, or I can borrow other son's dodge diesel.

Settling in on 98-99 tahoe yukon, the last of the cable operated floor shifters, if SUV
Silverado extended cab 6-6/5 ft if I can find good pickup and topper.

What is the Ford oil pan rot out issue? Corrosive oils/water in the diesels? Just ciruiosity for me. My employer runs a fleet of about 100 Fords, mostly 350 4 door, 8 ft box, 2wd all over North America (railroad maintenance). They haul crews and heavy freight and parts, running probably 50-75,000 miles per year. replaced every two or three years, so maybe that is why they have not had that issue.

North Georgia? ironic, Rae has a retired coworker who lives down there and we were just talking about a fall visit. Comments here got me thinking about looking for some 'snowbirds' who may have a pickup and camper for sale as a unit when they decide they are getting too old. Different topic, but we are looking for a tow pickup in the next two years hpefully. That one will be heavier than the current need.

tks again for comments, especially engines, transm and 4wd stuff.

kcj

Last edited:
tks to all for great info.
I have not disappeared, been reading the posts just not reply.
Son's wedding has taken priorities.

I need to tow more than haul, so not looking for a large pickup. Been there done that, but now I am in the city. I occasionally have some bigger loads, but the trailers work there, or I can borrow other son's dodge diesel.

Settling in on 98-99 tahoe yukon, the last of the cable operated floor shifters, if SUV
Silverado extended cab 6-6/5 ft if I can find good pickup and topper.

What is the Ford oil pan rot out issue? Corrosive oils/water in the diesels? Just ciruiosity for me. My employer runs a fleet of about 100 Fords, mostly 350 4 door, 8 ft box, 2wd all over North America (railroad maintenance). They haul crews and heavy freight and parts, running probably 50-75,000 miles per year. replaced every two or three years, so maybe that is why they have not had that issue.

North Georgia? ironic, Rae has a retired coworker who lives down there and we were just talking about a fall visit. Comments here got me thinking about looking for some 'snowbirds' who may have a pickup and camper for sale as a unit when they decide they are getting too old. Different topic, but we are looking for a tow pickup in the next two years hpefully. That one will be heavier than the current need.

tks again for comments, especially engines, transm and 4wd stuff.

kcj

I believe they rust/rot from the outside in. My 85 Dodge with a 360 has a hole that rotted from the outside in.

I cant advise you to a make or model, but I can let you in on a secret that we discovered.Washington DC.

Yep, we do all our car shopping on the net and look in the Washington DC area. Why? Well, many folks in that area take public transit to work, and you can find models that are ten years old with few miles on them for a song. For instance,

We bought my my wife a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder convertible, V6, leather, the works with only 18,000 miles on it for $9000.It was in mint condition.We bought it for her in 2010, so it was already 7 years old, and it was a steal. Well worth the drive up there.

Repeated the process when my buddy bought his truck. We drove up there and got a 2001 Dodge diesel dually 4wd,crew cab, and all the bells and whistles for $7500.It had only 17000 miles on it.

Drove my neighbor up there, and he got a Dodge standard cab 4wd 2500 with 9000 miles on it for $9400. It was a 2002 model I think, but it was also mint condition.

At first I was suspicious of the deals,but the dealer where we bought them all explained that they were all trade ins on new cars or trucks, and to move them fast they sold them a few bucks above low Blue Book.Even with hotel rooms and fuel back and forth, it was well worth the trip up there.

I cant advise you to a make or model, but I can let you in on a secret that we discovered.Washington DC.

Yep, we do all our car shopping on the net and look in the Washington DC area. Why? Well, many folks in that area take public transit to work, and you can find models that are ten years old with few miles on them for a song. For instance,

We bought my my wife a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder convertible, V6, leather, the works with only 18,000 miles on it for $9000.It was in mint condition.We bought it for her in 2010, so it was already 7 years old, and it was a steal. Well worth the drive up there.

Repeated the process when my buddy bought his truck. We drove up there and got a 2001 Dodge diesel dually 4wd,crew cab, and all the bells and whistles for $7500.It had only 17000 miles on it.

Drove my neighbor up there, and he got a Dodge standard cab 4wd 2500 with 9000 miles on it for $9400. It was a 2002 model I think, but it was also mint condition.

At first I was suspicious of the deals,but the dealer where we bought them all explained that they were all trade ins on new cars or trucks, and to move them fast they sold them a few bucks above low Blue Book.Even with hotel rooms and fuel back and forth, it was well worth the trip up there.

Kinda like getting a stealth tax rebate, as most likely those are Fed worker's trade ins.

Agree with the good advice that it is worth the trip to get out of the salt zone but want to put in a plug for the 90-96 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4x4. EFI, 3.0 on a one ton frame that gets 20 mpg. These trucks are a little hard to find but worth the search. I use a pair of them in a landscaping business and the one thing you can't do is overload them. I haul a fair amount of soil and stone and am always amazed at what these mini trucks can haul and appreciate the tight spots I can get in and out of. Might not be what you need but worth a look!

Latest posts

Back