Forestry's Future

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my perspective, the big divide is between private and public land. Environmental law protects streams and wetlands on both, but the private landowners don't have to fight a lawsuit for every timber sale they propose. The result is that private land is thick with vigorous young trees in a growing rotation where public land is stuck somewhere between seedling and old-growth with no hope for timely management. "Timely" is the issue here, too, since there's always a rush to "fire-proof" after conflagrations, or to stabilize slopes after a slide, or whatever -- it's always a reactive action rather than a proactive one. My hope is that the ESA will lose its "blank check" power and that forest management will return to public lands, updated to meet current environmental laws and best management practices.
Some Govt ran parks allow logoing must just be according to what state you are in.

They just need to some how come up with a plan that both parties could do. Luke there is 100 acres...leave half untouched and log and manage the other half. Each agency has different goals that's the problem. It's like the nature conservacy (really don't have a problem with them but they are also private owned) but their goals is to protect ground species. They do control burn but they sure burn up a lot of pines in the process and oh dont disturb that rock or its game on. I can kind of see what they mean but sometimes some places have to have mechanical work done on it.

It's like the nature conservacy (really don't have a problem with them but they are also private owned) but their goals is to protect ground species. They do control burn but they sure burn up a lot of pines in the process and oh dont disturb that rock or its game on.

I work with those guys and their kind a lot, and they're both the best and worst of the bunch. Best because their goals are clear and their process is relatively transparent, worst because they have a lot of organizational momentum and are very used to getting their way. I do have to give them credit for attracting good people, regardless of their political orientation.

I work with those guys and their kind a lot, and they're both the best and worst of the bunch. Best because their goals are clear and their process is relatively transparent, worst because they have a lot of organizational momentum and are very used to getting their way. I do have to give them credit for attracting good people, regardless of their political orientation.

Veru true. I've worked on some projects with TNC both here in MT as well as in CO. They've been good to work with. I do appreciate that when they've bought up large tracts of company land here in MT they haven't closed access. I can still hunt it and hike it all I want.

Latest posts

Back