Found 40:Fuel for the first time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Found it at Wal-Mart the other day. There was some discussion here on AS about it quite a while ago. Tony over a Amick's was considering carrying it. It was over $4 for a 32oz can. The can was all metal with a metal screw on cap. Said it was good for up to 2 years. It was in the Lawn & Garden center near the weedeaters.

Here too!

We have it locally at Menards and Walmart. Menards carries 50:1 and 40:1 It sells here for about $3.79 per can at either store. I bought some 50:1 and been using it in my Husky leaf blower and my Husky 141 here at my "City Home" as I use them so infrequently. It's very convenient, and seems to work really well. The 2 year shelf life will be perfect for my occasional use here in town. Although I'm sure I'll go through more than say, two cans per year.
Up north I mix my own for all the other saws.

Al :cheers:

Do the math...

128 ounces in a gallon of gas.

128 / 40 is 3.2 ounces of oil. What is the big deal?

Look for that measuring thing that works like a suction gun.

The last time I bought 2cycle oil, it was a 5 gallon pail! :jawdrop:

Now I am using 100LL, and measuring that with a scale
6.02 lbs per gallon.

-Pat :cheers:

That's true.

It's probably not a cost issue. The whole point of the 50:1 or 40:1 premix in the can is the convenience for the occasional user. Combined with the fact that it has shelf life of two years makes it perfect for most homeowner applications. Has worked well for me so far. . . it runs well in my 141 and 125 blower.

Al :cheers:

I'm not buying any. It is just the first time that I have spotted it on a store shelf. They sure didn't scrimp on the packaging. Even with buying Stihl Ultra in the small bottles at $2.06 per and mixing only with 93 octane fuel my cost per gallon is about 1/3 of what they are charging.

Tomorrow when I go to cut wood and have to get a fresh gallon will be the 4th gallon of mix since I bought the Stihl in January. If that gives people here an idea of how much I use my saw. In other words, I don't do a lot of cutting. Enough though to be a couple of years ahead in the woodshed.

I agree that this product is not for the person that cuts lots of wood and uses up fuel fast.....those people know how to mix fuel and don't have problems keeping a fresh supply of mix around. There is always a can of fresh mix sitting right next to my chainsaw and it gets used up and refilled every 2 months.

If you are the kind of person that doesn't cut firewood or use his chainsaw as employment.....and you keep the chainsaw around for an emergency - and your saw sits on the shelf just waiting for the big storm to come along that drops a limb on your roof - then this is the perfect product to have sitting on the shelf right next to the saw. You will have an immediate supply of fresh mix you can dump in the saw and start cutting. My father in law fits perfectly in that scenario......he never cuts wood until a tree or big limb falls in his yard.

I agree that this product is not for the person that cuts lots of wood and uses up fuel fast.....those people know how to mix fuel and don't have problems keeping a fresh supply of mix around. There is always a can of fresh mix sitting right next to my chainsaw and it gets used up and refilled every 2 months.

If you are the kind of person that doesn't cut firewood or use his chainsaw as employment.....and you keep the chainsaw around for an emergency - and your saw sits on the shelf just waiting for the big storm to come along that drops a limb on your roof - then this is the perfect product to have sitting on the shelf right next to the saw. You will have an immediate supply of fresh mix you can dump in the saw and start cutting. My father in law fits perfectly in that scenario......he never cuts wood until a tree or big limb falls in his yard.

Yeah I seen one of those guy's when I climbed a tree out for his
neighbor. This guy comes out decides he is going to cut down a
small tree in a corner of his fence that when I looked, was blocking
his view of our operation. He comes out has on a metal brain bucket
funny looking goggles fires up a poulan wild thingy and starts his
notch,saw dull, bad dull and after quite sometime gets a wedge
cut out. We just set there watching and a few chuckles as he
started to file with a rasping stroke and after a few minutes of
his filing technique, he started his saw again and it was duller
than before, so dull; smoke instead of chips where flying. It was
very entertaining, then the grand finale was; the tree came
over backwards and landed on his fence as he had a puzzled