Found A Bunch Of Stihl Saws On The Verge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More digging, I discounted a burnt 201t thinking it’s just a junker and only good for parts. However @trains said not to discount it so I took the muffler off and the piston is mint. This p&c may go on the scored but good looking 201tc. My concerns are the transfer port covers. They’re glued down aren’t they? Maybe best to try save the non burnt 201tc cylinder and just put this piston in? Any advice much appreciated. I’ll check the rubber lines in the clutch area to see how bad the fire got…

IMG_2275.jpeg

About the only things changed down here from late model 066 to ms660 was a different fuel cap and beefed up PTO side crank both come from the factory with dual port mufflers.
We didn't get the epa choked up gutless ms660 like you guys with it's little peashooter single outlet muffler.. Yes even the single outlet muffler has a smaller outlet than that found on duel port mufflers from memory the single outlet is like 8mm compared to 13mm on a dual port mufflers.... it's no wonder the US ms660 failed to impress anyone they choked em to death lol
In 1996 the crank was beefed up and the poly flywheel
came with it

More digging, I discounted a burnt 201t thinking it’s just a junker and only good for parts. However @trains said not to discount it so I took the muffler off and the piston is mint. This p&c may go on the scored but good looking 201tc. My concerns are the transfer port covers. They’re glued down aren’t they? Maybe best to try save the non burnt 201tc cylinder and just put this piston in? Any advice much appreciated. I’ll check the rubber lines in the clutch area to see how bad the fire got…

View attachment 1128024
Do a preasure and vac test on it.
That will give you some info

066: Did the pressure and vac test, pressure held great at 7 psi, vac failed and would continue to drop to around 5ingh, wouldn’t come even close to the specified 15inhg. I think I can hear the wisp of air from the flywheel side, but both will be replaced. Fuel line is soft, impulse and intake manifold both soft too!

IMG_2293.jpeg

‘Nice score’ doesn’t do that find justice!

‘Verge collection’ is a nice, new term to learn too!

In the US we normally call the strip between the sidewalk and the curb, the ‘boulevard’. Although, to others, a boulevard is a grassy strip down the center of the street.

EDIT: apparently, ‘shoulder’ of the road might also translate to ‘verge’.

Philbert

Make sure its smooth, and no file marks are left, some require more finishing than others.

I see you marked the top edge of the piston when removing the rings :(
Yeah I suck at removing the rings and not scratching the piston. I have done it so many times and still can’t get it without making contact somewhere! I need smaller hands.

Edit:

I’m sure there is a technique that I am not using. When I try grab each end of the ring with thumbs and pull apart, it always seems to slip off. Piston ring expanders are too large for these 2 strokes too. Any advise would be much appreciated!

I see that piston clip installing tool!
they are great for no eared stihl ones
Yes quite right. I gave in and brought the 10mm and 12mm ones a few years ago. I got sick and tired of ramming a screw driver into my fingers / hands and damaging or losing clips. I do enough rebuilds to warrant the tools, but not enough that I’m good enough to do it well without LOL.

Yes quite right. I gave in and brought the 10mm and 12mm ones a few years ago. I got sick and tired of ramming a screw driver into my fingers / hands and damaging or losing clips. I do enough rebuilds to warrant the tools, but not enough that I’m good enough to do it well without LOL.
T1 for me too Tom

Back