Found a saw on eBay, cheep Chinese made thing, and one ever run one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone buys a brand that only exists on eBay, at a "bargain" price, they may well get excellent service from the seller but...that may be no consolation if the product turns out to be as poorly made as the measly amount of money they paid for it might have suggested. This is how a second Zenoah G3800-derived saw has found its way into my collection.

My first one, a license-built Chinese-made Homelite HBCS3530 (USD50) which appeared to have been well-built straight out of the box and has been flawless in the 3 months I've owned it (apart from the supplied chain being super-stretchy) impressed my friend so much that he bought a Millers Falls branded version on eBay for USD40.
Both saws are based on the Zenoah G3800 but he found so many problems with the Millers Falls saw that in the end I gave him USD30 for the powerhead (which I've now modified and fitted with a 15" .325 bar and chain) and he's trying to sell the supplied 3/8 EP bar and chain on eBay. (To be fair to the seller, they had agreed to take it back.)

Spark plug loose on arrival.
Chain tensioner screw has phillips head and a spring washer behind it??
Odd mix of screw heads in general, phillips & allen.
Clutch cover doesn't match the shape of the main housing.
Front AV spring jammed against fuel tank.

Back