Found an 028 WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jconaway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In our small-town local paper I found an 028 Wood Boss for $190. Went and looked at it and the old guy (very nice gentleman) said that he bought it in the '80's and used it for probably 2 or 3 cords per year, but that it's sat for the last 4 years since he moved and no longer burns wood. He said that he just took it in for a tuneup and it comes with a nice Stihl case, scrench, plastic wedge and 2 well-used chains. The 18" bar is well worn but still very usable. Overall shape of the saw is very good condition and it has electronic ignition. It fired right up and seemed to run well. After jawing a while, he said he'd take $175 for it. I have an 026 but would like a second saw for backup. What do you guys think of this deal? I've read a lot of threads on this forum and people seem to love this saw, but I was hoping for some input on this particular deal.

Off the top of my head, thats about 1/2 of what their going for on ebay.
I'd probably pick it up, they're a pretty good firewood saw. If it's too much like your 26, you can always ebay it for at least what you got in it. Couple years ago I sold a 28 crankcase and handle, stripped, for $125
get it!!
-Ralph

Valid point, Dan, and one that has kept me from purchasing other brands of saws 'till now. I like being able to switch off bars, chains, and sprockets if need be, and I've always got a supply of good used parts if needed to finish a job.
-Ralph

Go for it Jcon, you won't regret it.

Dan, why stop at two ??? Why not three, four or more.

Larry

Run the saw, and if it is sounding good and cutting good, what do you have to lose? Besides, it is always fun to pick up another saw :)

Oh I've held it and ran it, Chris. It's in nice shape and seems to run really well though I didn't have the chance to cut any wood with it. He only lives about 6 miles from me and I'm going to go back and get it. He said he'd hold it for me.

I do have one question, though. Assuming the saws were in equal condition and running equally well in regards to each model's ability, which one would be the better of the two? They won't be seeing commercial work, just a few cords per year for firewood. I guess I'm just curious how they would differ from each other in regards to performance, balance, reliability, noise level, comfort, and any other comparison.

The 26 is a better saw than a 28WB mainly due to age. The 26 is the generation after the 028 and fixed a few things they almost got right with the 28. The WB is quite old (probably 20 years), has a funky throttle/choke rod, points ignition and probably an aluminum tank. Vibration and balance - the 026 definitely, but balance is often a matter of getting the right bar length for the saw (longer means heavier forward).. I fix a LOT of 28WB (age related issues) and very few 026's.

Actually this particular 028 was one of the "newer" ones, and it has factory electronic ignition. Not sure about the gas tank, though. I guess it's going to come down to the fact I'll have to run both of them and do a personal comparison for myself. I do appreciate your input, though, and will keep it in consideration when I'm comparing the two.

I fix a LOT of 28WB (age related issues) and very few 026's.

I have a 20 year 028AV Wood Boss and it it still starts and runs like a champ with none of the age related problems you mentioned. The only thing I ever had to do to this saw was put on a newer type rim sprocket at the dealers recomendation, installed new air filter and traded the 20" bar for a 16" bar.

Although, mine has only been used for occasional home use and not as a Pro saw. The 028AV has been and still is a great saw! My only complaint now that I'm 20 years older is I wish it weighed about 5 lbs less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back