found some ugly topped trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl066

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was driving in catawba,ohio today and found some ugly topped trees. I really wanted to go up to the door and asked the homeowner what he was thinking hiring someone to do this "work". what do you think?

I have seen more topped trees around latey in the northwest Ohio area. Soon we will not have a normal looking tree left.

I was driving in catawba,ohio today and found some ugly topped trees. I really wanted to go up to the door and asked the homeowner what he was thinking hiring someone to do this "work". what do you think?

Mind your own business. I am an arborist but from a homeowners viewpoint I would tell you to get bent if you stepped on my property asking about my hacked up trees. Bottom line is you don't know jack about the situation, just looking from the outside.

If you didn't do the work and didn't get called for a consult then it is none of your business, plain and simple.

Yes ugly. I first disliked topped trees because they are ugly. I was happy to find out it is a bad practice too.

im not sure who did the work. but i know that there are some companies out that way that usually do all the topping out that way. its a shame to see that people are still doing this to trees. it shows they dont know the industry standard, suck at sales, by talking the customer out of topping, and teaching them why its unhealthy, unsightly and a straight up waste of their money, and also that you dont have climbers, buckeyt operators, trimmers, etc, that know the right way of pruning.

180448d1303084273-topped-trees-jpg

Looks like treevet missed one......:hmm3grin2orange:

Just kidding Dave. Please don't beat me up when I come thru.....:msp_ohmy:

We should start a contest for the ugliest topped tree. I know I would have lots of contenders in my area. At lest those still have some branches on them.
I often feel like going up to peoples door my self and ask them,"what were you thinking", but of course you can't, Nailsbeat is right it not any of our buisness.
I have explained many, many times to some hardheads why they shouldn't top their tree(s). Its a waste of breath.
I did see an electronic bill board in the City of Rancho Cucamonga, That said,"Topping Trees is bad", Its a start I guess.

I would knock on their door, and politely offer my services. There might be a logical explanation behind it. Maybe somebody started taking them down, then ran out of enthusiasm, or maybe the check bounced.. or US immigration stopped by & took the cheap labor back to Mexico. you can usually get farther, if you are polite. :D

ya, thems some fugly trees for sure. The thing I run into is some people think its the solution, as far as keeping a tree from getting to tall and falling on there house. Some people have a hard time understanding the harm it does , esp the older folks. I had an old timer insist that his trees be topped (at half there height lol) and every cut painted with "wound sealer". I did my best to explain things but he didn't want to hear it. Oddly, I dont think the trees ever did get cut.

im not sure who did the work. but i know that there are some companies out that way that usually do all the topping out that way. its a shame to see that people are still doing this to trees. it shows they dont know the industry standard, suck at sales, by talking the customer out of topping, and teaching them why its unhealthy, unsightly and a straight up waste of their money, and also that you dont have climbers, buckeyt operators, trimmers, etc, that know the right way of pruning.

Don't get too hard on the guys doing the work. If they are employees, they do what the work order says, whether they agree or not. It's a tree, not worth losing your job over the principal.

I doubt very few of the business owners on here would tolerate their crew questioning their prescriptions/work orders to the point of not doing the work.

As to the ugly trees, personally, I've seen so many I just glance past them without even noticiing. Way worse examples out there than that. IMO topped conifers look way worse.

Latest posts

Back