Found this book "the Backyard lumberjack"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im with husky on this--those books should be burned--cause someones apt to get killed reading that trash---chainsaws and tree falling is dangerous enough without having a know it all write what he doesnt have a clue about--period--

agree

im with husky on this--those books should be burned--cause someones apt to get killed reading that trash---chainsaws and tree falling is dangerous enough without having a know it all write what he doesnt have a clue about--period--

I couldn't agree more! Well said olyman!:rock: :)

+ 2

I spent about a half hour skimming through the book at a local borders a couple days ago. I got a much different impression than some of the rest of you. I think that you guys may be a little bit too harsh on the authors. Yes, the way they fell those trees is not 'the' safest way to fell, but theres no law saying that it has to be done any certain way. You sit there condeming and criticizing and thinking you have all the answers, yet you haven't sat down and written any book like that have you? The work and time that must have went into the book deserve admiration, and overall it really is a great book (IMHO). It's easy to sit there and criticize and put someone down, but I just couldn't see how it was justified here. If you disagree by all means feel free to let me know, but I just felt that the slamming of the book was quite a petty attack on someones hard work and dedicated effort. Also, I think that it might be necesarry to remind some of you that the book wasn't written for professionals. Feel free to chime in, I'm interested to see what others think.

Well.... The book is sold as "The Ultimate Guide to Felling, Bucking, Splitting, and Stacking". Do you really think you would recommend this to a friend, professional or beginner, as the ultimate guide to anything??

I would NOT.

Yes, Frank and Stephen Philbrick most certainly put a lot of effort into the book, but incorrect information should not be published in a "guide" to anything. Those of us here will not take any advice from these fellows felling habits, and I don't think it should be published as a guide for anyone to follow.

I never have, and never will claim to have all the answers. If the question is about felling, "The Backyard Lumberjack" doesn't either.

well

Well.... The book is sold as "The Ultimate Guide to Felling, Bucking, Splitting, and Stacking". Do you really think you would recommend this to a friend, professional or beginner, as the ultimate guide to anything??

I would NOT.

Yes, Frank and Stephen Philbrick most certainly put a lot of effort into the book, but incorrect information should not be published in a "guide" to anything. Those of us here will not take any advice from these fellows felling habits, and I don't think it should be published as a guide for anyone to follow.

I never have, and never will claim to have all the answers. If the question is about felling, "The Backyard Lumberjack" doesn't either.

Also very well said!;) :D :rock: :laugh:

Maybe I oughta actually buy the book and read it rather than sticking up for it with only having skimmed through it. Or on the other hand maybe I won't. I can't justify spending $20 on a book that shows the wrong way to do it, and from the sounds of most of you guys, it sounds like the guy is pretty full of himself, which I don't care to read about either.

Yah- maybe plenty of the info in a book called "the ultimate guide" isn't correct but no one should say anything about it because the authors really really tried. Let me guess, it might hurt their self esteem? If they tried at all they could have easily found the correct information

Not to mention the gunpowder story has been related to me everywhere I have lived, always featuring the local character "Old Man -----" To try to pass it off in the book is worthy of ridicule.

And who splits wood in chaps?

That having been said I'm sure both father and son are great guys, and I wish the son all the best in his writing career. His life partner must be so proud.

Dent's "Professional Guide To Timber Falling" should do the trick for you. Written by a real professional and available at Baileys.

don't get me wrong,i enjoyed the book.

and i would buy it all over knowing what i know now.there just isn't much out there for us.i was just pointing out some innaccuracies.

i still can't believe they can have bonfires like that in Mass.
try that in CT and the swat teams will be all over you with the assistance of busybody treehugging Kerry voters.

Latest posts

Back