Found wood need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Salley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some advice. I have found someone who has 7 cords of oak already split and stacked for sale for $70 a cord. The problem is it's about 150 miles (3 hours each way) from me. I do not have a trailer or truck big enough to get it in one or even 2 trips. I can sell the wood locally for $200 per cord. Any ideas on best way to get this wood or is it just too far away to make any money on?

Rent a uhaul or Penske truck?

One cord of oak weighs 3,500 pounds or so, 7 cords equals 24,500. Thats two trips for most anything except a triaxle.

Last edited:
Trying to decide if I can make any money on this. If I can.. then I will go check the wood out... Before I rent a truck or pay for it.

I believe that this will cause you to spend too much time and handle this wood too much to make any kind of money. As it stands the wood is worth $910.00 to you. That's a lot of work to load, unload and stack seven cords of oak and pay for a truck and fuel. Two trips and you would most likely lose money. I don't think the math is there. I would not drive out to check it for sure. Ask for several pics.

Get some Pics & Measurments of the Pile(s) and maybe some info on how long it has been there. I had a guy try to give me some wood (black Walnut) that has been cut and stacked for a few seasons, A good sized piece that should have weighed 10lbs didn't weigh 1 lb. the bark looked fine but the good part was gone.. check it out good before you commit...

Post the location on here and maybe some body else could use it that lives closer. Like some body else had said be sure it is a mesured cord too . Alot of people dont know what a cord of wood is so they just call it a cord.

I would like to know where the wood it located. I see you are in cleveland Ms. It might not be to far away from me and I could use it.

One cord of oak weighs 3,500 pounds or so,

If it's green, it's more like 5,000#. Plus if it is green, you're tying up your money till next year at least if you want to get the full $200.

Sounds like a tri-axle for $80/hour for seven hours to me, assuming they have a machine to load. $560 right there...$80/cord just for transport.

If you're not using a dump, the labor to load and unload will be significant.

So we're at $150/cord. So you're only looking at $350 total to be made, and you have six hours invested just driving out first to check the wood. Plus finding buyers, delivery, etc.

If I was moving 21 cords a week for these prices, it wouldn't be a bad job. But not a lot to be made from a one time deal.

The wood was close to Union ms. That is on the east side of the state. I called the people to let them know I did not want the wood and they said they had someone else that wanted it.

I would like to know where the wood it located. I see you are in cleveland Ms. It might not be to far away from me and I could use it.

Need some advice. I have found someone who has 7 cords of oak already split and stacked for sale for $70 a cord. The problem is it's about 150 miles (3 hours each way) from me. I do not have a trailer or truck big enough to get it in one or even 2 trips. I can sell the wood locally for $200 per cord. Any ideas on best way to get this wood or is it just too far away to make any money on?

As others have said. I'll bet that $70/cord split and stacked is wrong. That is about right for a face cord!

I agree that the cost/labor of getting it will be too high for any profit.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back