Frankensaw 266se starting issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notaneasytarget

Official Old Fart
Reaction score
Drug it home, cleaned it up then checked adjustments on carb. Compression is far better than my 61, and has a "good enough" spark to make me add a boot on the spark plug. Problem is, it won't stay running more than a few moments and will die every time in the wood. Vacuum leak, maybe a carb issue?? Awaiting a slow boat from China bringing a knockoff carb. What am I missing???

Drug it home, cleaned it up then checked adjustments on carb. Compression is far better than my 61, and has a "good enough" spark to make me add a boot on the spark plug. Problem is, it won't stay running more than a few moments and will die every time in the wood. Vacuum leak, maybe a carb issue?? Awaiting a slow boat from China bringing a knockoff carb. What am I missing???
A proper working carb along with the rest of the fuel supply components.

If an engine will start up and then die out, pull the plug and see if its dry.

If its dry you have an issue in your fuel system as stated above; from annoying things like your tank cap to leaking lines to failing carb components.

If the plug is wet, you need to determine what kind of wet and if you have a problem with your air filter or muffler. It's a bit easier if you use a new premix as it does not (usually) call onto question the mix and fuel quality.

If an engine will start up and then die out, pull the plug and see if its dry.

If its dry you have an issue in your fuel system as stated above; from annoying things like your tank cap to leaking lines to failing carb components.

If the plug is wet, you need to determine what kind of wet and if you have a problem with your air filter or muffler. It's a bit easier if you use a new premix as it does not (usually) call onto question the mix and fuel quality.
Dry as a bone, new line and filter with fresh fuel and new air filter. We'll see what happens with a knockoff carb from somewhere in the world ending with "c h i n a"

That saw should have a Tillotson carburetor that is not hard to rebuild and certainly much better than any Chinese clone you can buy. If you go that route I would be interested in the original carburetor.

Like others said I would replace all the fuel supply parts: carb rebuild, fuel line and filter. Replace the carb mounting gasket when you put it back on the saw.

That is a popular saw. If you do a search you should be able to find a thread on a carb rebuild for it. Last time I checked Tillotson had info on their web site too.

That is a respected saw around here and worth fixing and fixing right. I have a 266SE made in 1983 that is a heavy hitter in my firewood arsenal. I also have a 61 made in 1981 that I put a 266 top end when I rebuilt it. It came to me straight gassed. Both saws are workers that I highly value. Any saw from this series is worth putting time and money into getting it running right.

266 uses an Tillitson HS, extremely common and simple carb. Any shop should be able to fix you up easily. The gaskets between the carb and carb block and jug can leak. The jug should also be checked to ensure its tight. The carb block can crack if over torqued or bunged up by a ham handed dope.

The 266 in any flavor is a truly great saw, worthy of putting some $$$ into it. Take care of it and enjoy!

Mayhaps I should look for a shop and be done with it??

Or perhaps ask if there is someone who is a member on here that lives close to you, that is capable of stripping- cleaning and assembling the original carb for you, maybe over a box of beer?
That carb set up correctly will be 110% better than any knockoff on any slow boat. Best you can do with the knockoff one is to pull it apart to get used to small parts, put it back together, do so a few times until you become good at it and then throw it in the bin where it belongs. ;)

Or perhaps ask if there is someone who is a member on here that lives close to you, that is capable of stripping- cleaning and assembling the original carb for you, maybe over a box of beer?
That carb set up correctly will be 110% better than any knockoff on any slow boat. Best you can do with the knockoff one is to pull it apart to get used to small parts, put it back together, do so a few times until you become good at it and then throw it in the bin where it belongs. ;)
I agree. Your location shows Western WA. Maybe put your town on this thread. There has to be someone close that can give you a hand.

The good news about the Chinese carbs is the scrap price for aluminum has come back up.

Mayhaps I should look for a shop and be done with it??

The HS is about the easiest carb in the world to rebuild. Go on You Tube, look up Leons Chainsaw Repair and watch his tutorial. 2 gaskets, a metering diaphragm, a fuel pump diaphragm and setting the metering valve at floor level, along with some basic cleanup and it's done. As long as it's put back together correctly and the needles are set 1 (H) and 1 1/2 (L) it should start and run enough to tune it. Chances are it's old crap in the passages or a stiff (old) diaphragm on one side or the other if you have new fuel line, filter and fuel. What you describe isn't a fuel starvation situation. A little varnish from old fuel or a stiff pump diaphragm can do that easily.

The easier way is to find a local guy that can walk you through it as was suggested.

Back