Free Or Not Free Estimates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Cutemup

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I,m not sure how many of you out there run or own your company. I want to know how many charge for estimates? Not consulting, just i'll fix your tree for this estimate. Have to go play. Will be back latter. Cutemup

My estimates are free. In my opinion nothing else is reasonable. My consultations are also still free. I support the idea of paid consultations (other professions do so-and how!) but I consider it good customer relations and it often develops into work. If , however the customer needs a written report for some purpose I'll charge.

Depends on how far of a drive it is and what they are looking for. In truth, none of it is free, everyone builds it into their cost. Those that charge are just being more honest.

I've aske dthose that do and this is the average reply.
"Well, I have an established client base, so I hold my costs down by charing to write up bid specifications. This keeps the shoppers away also, someone has to pay for me to drive around. Why should it be the paying costomers. Of course i do not charge my regular clients up front, they know itis built into the overall program. Most of my work is all paid T&M."

It follows the same logic that cell phone companies clearly lack. :rolleyes:

10,000 FREE ANYTIME MINUTES FOR YOUR FIRST YEAR*
*not available for existing customers

Anyone know what I mean? It's burdening your existing clients while providing come-ons for people who are just switching every 6 months for a better deal. That irks me - it's completely illogical. Your existing customers are the ones that should be retained for years to come - sure spares a lot in advertising, marketing, sales, and running around!

Nickrosis

Your right JPS, nothing is free but I am neither charging the person calling for a bid/advice nor dumping it on my existing customers-which explains why I work a lot and remain poor.:eek:

I saw an ad on TV for Progressive Insurance Company. It seems to work for them, so I've decided to use their marketing gimmick.
Now, when I give an estimate, I'll also give the customer up to three other estimates from my competitors. This is a bit confusing for some people, but I think it will work out and maybe even catch on with others.

A Mup is a very large fuzzy creature with a bad attitude, as opposed to those cute little mup-ettes.

Boy I see I'm going to like you guys. If you want I could change my name. Maybe to "BITE ME". Cut'em Up. and have a good time.

well, I'M not going to call you 'cute mup'. Idunno how cute you are, so I'll just call you 'mup'. :D ;)

Mr.Cutemup,Hows that shoulder today?Maybe this harrassment theropy will get your mind off of it.

Last edited:
Brett, I always thought it was spelled Muppets. Unless you are speaking of a female mup, as opposed to a Jim Henson creature.

Latest posts

Back