Free Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trish Parkes, sorry about the nilbog. He is having a rough childhood. Again.

Thanks to your brothers and father from me. For their service.

There is some good advice here. Some presented better than others though.

Good Luck

Kevin Davis

Semper Fi

Last edited:
That's why you're the pro. BUT after all that is it worth it. I would think so. If you want highend you have to pay for if. One way or another. Sweat equity or $
Exactly... that is what it usually boils down to when it comes to things like making your own furniture, flooring or kitchen cabinets. If you charge yourself for the time you need to put into the job, you will often come out way ahead just buying things. BUT... that's not the point. I do have a small business on the side and frequent the local craft shows, and for that work if I don't clear $15-20 an hour I won't do it. So far I've managed to to meet that goal for the three years I've been doing it. I dumped it right back into the shop, and that has paid for thousands of dollars of machinery upgrades.
However, thats one thing... making things in my woodshop for myself, family or close friends is entirely another thing. In that case, it's not the cost or time... it's the camaraderie of friends in the shop... it's having a piece of furniture made from that tree your Grandfather planted 100 years ago that blew down. It's making something unique that you can't buy from a furniture store at ANY price. Example... I kept the wood from the old wooden crib that all three of my daughters spent their first years in, and one day I will make something for each of them that incorporates some of that crib wood somewhere in the piece. That's far removed from how much does it cost and can I get it cheaper from a big box store. I get the feeling you didn't know what was involved in putting a cherry floor in your house from trees on your own property, and that's OK. However, I do understand that you might feel it is something you would do even if it was more expensive and full of aggravation, which it probably will be if you still want to do that. Life is not always just dollars and cents... or should that be "sense"?

btw... don't feed him (her?), just ignore him :cheers:

hey deeker. no i dont think that post was needed.

any way.

what did i tell you boys? huh? oldirty was right on with this one.

free tree's! go get em!

anyway Goblin is more or less on the money here in this thread.

trish ,like i said when i rep'd ya, i like a woman with attitude. but much like all the other girls, its only in the beginning. you can pipe down now.

someone tell mikeinparadise i was right. he gave me some of the red stuff. lol

Someone comes here and offers us free tree's, just for the cutting, and it gets down to this level... Amazing!

Rob

You'd make a nun punch a dog.

ROFL... Trish that's good one. You've made my quote of the week (just came up with that one)

If Trish has an attitude, it's a direct result of the dog pile she found herself under. Pull out a hair pin Trish and start sinking it in whoever is the heaviest.

Ian

Last edited:
Exactly... that is what it usually boils down to when it comes to things like making your own furniture, flooring or kitchen cabinets. If you charge yourself for the time you need to put into the job, you will often come out way ahead just buying things. BUT... that's not the point. I do have a small business on the side and frequent the local craft shows, and for that work if I don't clear $15-20 an hour I won't do it. So far I've managed to to meet that goal for the three years I've been doing it. I dumped it right back into the shop, and that has paid for thousands of dollars of machinery upgrades.
However, thats one thing... making things in my woodshop for myself, family or close friends is entirely another thing. In that case, it's not the cost or time... it's the camaraderie of friends in the shop... it's having a piece of furniture made from that tree your Grandfather planted 100 years ago that blew down. It's making something unique that you can't buy from a furniture store at ANY price. Example... I kept the wood from the old wooden crib that all three of my daughters spent their first years in, and one day I will make something for each of them that incorporates some of that crib wood somewhere in the piece. That's far removed from how much does it cost and can I get it cheaper from a big box store. I get the feeling you didn't know what was involved in putting a cherry floor in your house from trees on your own property, and that's OK. However, I do understand that you might feel it is something you would do even if it was more expensive and full of aggravation, which it probably will be if you still want to do that. Life is not always just dollars and cents... or should that be "sense"?

btw... don't feed him (her?), just ignore him :cheers:

YOU GET IT. I love your crib idea and your girls will love and use it for their children. You're a great daddy. I love hearing about all your stories. And what you do is an art and a craft. This is what gives life depth. Value. You know with this stupid tree it's so straight, beautiful and tall. I got the crazy idea that someone would see it as more than wood chips. I thought I would get rid of the back trees to make it worth the "trip". But it's not worth the trouble. I assumed someone would not come out for them if they couldn't take them safely and didn't have all the right equipment. If this doesn't happen here they will all go maybe next spring and we'll replace them and manage their growth and shape. All of the trees on the property were not cared for properly.
Thanks for listening, not more feeding I promise.

ROFL... Trish that's good one. You've made my quote of the week (just came up with that one)

If Trish has an attitude, it's a direct result of the dog pile she found herself under. Pull out a hair pin Trish and start sinking in whoever is the heaviest.

Ian

Thank you, thank you. I can't stop laughing about it myself. My husband he just shakes his head. "that's my wife, she's a pistol" This will all be over soon. I'll miss speaking to some.;)

YOU GET IT. I love your crib idea and your girls will love and use it for their children. You're a great daddy. I love hearing about all your stories. And what you do is an art and a craft. This is what gives life depth. Value. You know with this stupid tree it's so straight, beautiful and tall. I got the crazy idea that someone would see it as more than wood chips. I thought I would get rid of the back trees to make it worth the "trip". But it's not worth the trouble. I assumed someone would not come out for them if they couldn't take them safely and didn't have all the right equipment. If this doesn't happen here they will all go maybe next spring and we'll replace them and manage their growth and shape. All of the trees on the property were not cared for properly.
Thanks for listening, not more feeding I promise.

I "get it" too. While the sentiment of using your own wood is great, and the act of honoring the old tree by turning it into something that can live on, even greater....it still doesn't change the fact that you still haven't posted any photos, drawings, diagrams or even a kindergarten sketch regarding the trees/property/structures that would determine if it is even feasible or not.

That, combined with the "free" aspect translates to one thing for me.....you're looking to take advantage of, or find a suitable pawn that you can manipulate into getting what you want.

It's not like you've got a new act going on there that nobody has ever seen before, Trish.

"Not cared for properly"? LOL! It's a tree. If its "mature and healthy" as you stated previously, then its been "cared for properly". Your lies are starting to trip you up, Trish.

Last edited:
hey deeker. no i dont think that post was needed.
any way.
what did i tell you boys? huh? oldirty was right on with this one.
free tree's! go get em!
anyway Goblin is more or less on the money here in this thread.
trish ,like i said when i rep'd ya, i like a woman with attitude. but much like all the other girls, its only in the beginning. you can pipe down now.
someone tell mikeinparadise i was right. he gave me some of the red stuff. lol

I'm sorry if I make you feel inadequate. Is this a SIZE issue for you or is it just the story of your life?

I'm sorry if I make you feel inadequate. Is this a SIZE issue for you or is it just the story of your life?

If you'd just answer the questions that have been asked, rather than insulting people, then there wouldn't even be posts like this that you feel you must lash out at.

1) How close, in feet (or yards), are the various trees to structures that could be damaged by falling ( dropping) them....i.e. houses, outbuildings, fences, etc.

2) Do any of the trees lean over said structures (like a house)?

3) Is there any access to get large equipment into where the trees are?

4) Is there any foliage or plantings in the way that could be damaged by falling and removing the trees in large sections or in running large equipment over them? And would you mind if they sustained some damage? Or, are you willing to remove plantings beforehand so that they won't be damaged?

5) Before the trees were "mature and healthy", and now they're "not properly cared for". What exactly do you mean by "not properly cared for"?

6) What is your budget for removing the trees, if you didn't mean "free"?

That would give potential prospects a starting point, at least.

i didnt read through all the thread but i am interested in firewood to heat my home and have hauled away trees for people several times. i wont drop anything dangerous but if it is in the clear i have no problem. I live right near ski round top in York PA and would be interested if the wood is still availible.

lady. i am the last guy you need to try to joke with about size.

ask any one i work with, ive been known to hang wang and walk around the yard at the shop. and if given the opportunity at the job site. yup, i'm tapped.

good times though.

you want me to drive out there and climb them tree's of yours butt naked? 400 a day. you gotta pay for the show.

lol

After browsing this thread, I get the distinct impression that some of you feel you are worth a lot more money than you really are. Exactly how much do you guys charge for tree removal? My brother had an arborist come and remove six trees back in August - 2 D. Fir ~18" x 100' tall, 2 more 8" X 40' or so, and two 8-10" aspens about 30-40' tall. He charged a base rate of $125/hr to have two guys there, and he had the job done in a little over 3 hours. He even bucked the trees to firewood length on his way down so all we had to do was clean up the debris. We have access to lots of trucks so it didn't make sense to double the cost of the job just to have him haul it all away. When I see some of you talking about thousands of dollars to remove single trees, my eyes just roll. Who is insane enough to pay that, unless their situation has them over a barrel? And as for profitability, maybe someone WON'T make a killing on this job - but if it nets you some wood that you wouldn't otherwise have, it might be worth it as long as it isn't a money-losing proposition. I like Woodshop's guideline where if a job doesn't profit a reasonable wage equivalent then it might not be worthwhile. $15-20/hr is more or less where I like to operate too. For one, if I'm milling wood for myself and I figure out that between my time involved and the cost of running equipment the job will cost more than I make per hour at work, then it's more cost effective to just buy the wood outright at a lumber supply. But some folks think their time is worth hundreds or thousands of dollars of profit a day and won't do a lick of work for a reasonable amount of money.

Goblin, ya have some valid points regarding the legalities and insurance problems - I will concede that there is some concern regarding the litigious mentality in the US where it seems everyone is trying to make a buck by always laying blame on everyone else. I get the feeling that you or someone you know may have been sued in the past, and you're being a bit reactionary here as a result. However, we can't be assuming that everyone who comes to this site armed with slightly less information than we would like has some nefarious motivation. As best as I can tell, Trish here had a job that needed doing and was just testing the waters to see if there was anybody interested. Being a homeowner and not a professional in this area, the onus should be on any interested parties to make sure that the job can be done safely and cost-effectively, not on the homeowner, who may not be aware of all the information required to assess the job remotely. I do agree however that a few pictures might sort all this out very quickly. If the trees are within striking distance of a building or something else important, I'd at least want to have a written agreement outlining the job, and assigning responsibility should the worst happen. And any professional arborist who doesn't have insurance for such situations is simply an idiot.

Last edited:
Unanswered questions.

We still haven't heard from Trish if the trees lean over buildings or have wires going through them or any of a bunch of other hazards that might exist. If they can just be dropped in one piece with no obstacles in the way it's a job for almost anyone...even some of the amatuer homeower types. If there are problems with clearance or anything else it's a job for somebody who knows what he's doing.

What say, Trish? Pictures please, and a better description of the job site.

After browsing this thread, I get the distinct impression that some of you feel you are worth a lot more money than you really are. Exactly how much do you guys charge for tree removal? My brother had an arborist come and remove six trees back in August - 2 D. Fir ~18" x 100' tall, 2 more 8" X 40' or so, and two 8-10" aspens about 30-40' tall. He charged a base rate of $125/hr to have two guys there, and he had the job done in a little over 3 hours. He even bucked the trees to firewood length on his way down so all we had to do was clean up the debris. We have access to lots of trucks so it didn't make sense to double the cost of the job just to have him haul it all away. When I see some of you talking about thousands of dollars to remove single trees, my eyes just roll. Who is insane enough to pay that, unless their situation has them over a barrel? And as for profitability, maybe someone WON'T make a killing on this job - but if it nets you some wood that you wouldn't otherwise have, it might be worth it as long as it isn't a money-losing proposition. I like Woodshop's guideline where if a job doesn't profit a reasonable wage equivalent then it might not be worthwhile. $15-20/hr is more or less where I like to operate too. For one, if I'm milling wood for myself and I figure out that between my time involved and the cost of running equipment the job will cost more than I make per hour at work, then it's more cost effective to just buy the wood outright at a lumber supply. But some folks think their time is worth hundreds or thousands of dollars of profit a day and won't do a lick of work for a reasonable amount of money.

Goblin, ya have some valid points regarding the legalities and insurance problems - I will concede that there is some concern regarding the litigious mentality in the US where it seems everyone is trying to make a buck by always laying blame on everyone else. I get the feeling that you or someone you know may have been sued in the past, and you're being a bit reactionary here as a result. However, we can't be assuming that everyone who comes to this site armed with slightly less information than we would like has some nefarious motivation. As best as I can tell, Trish here had a job that needed doing and was just testing the waters to see if there was anybody interested. Being a homeowner and not a professional in this area, the onus should be on any interested parties to make sure that the job can be done safely and cost-effectively, not on the homeowner, who may not be aware of all the information required to assess the job remotely. I do agree however that a few pictures might sort all this out very quickly. If the trees are within striking distance of a building or something else important, I'd at least want to have a written agreement outlining the job, and assigning responsibility should the worst happen. And any professional arborist who doesn't have insurance for such situations is simply an idiot.

Hello my friend from the great white north. Thank you for your post I agree with you completely and have been sending pictures to interested parties. Thanks again for writing.
Trish

Hello my friend from the great white north. Thank you for your post I agree with you completely and have been sending pictures to interested parties. Thanks again for writing.
Trish

Hey, hey, now, it's not white QUITE yet! We still have a few weeks left until that nonsense (most years anyway)! Though from what I've heard, the Farmer's Almanac is predicting an exceptionally cold winter in North America, and they are rarely significantly off-base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back