Free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefs584ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hit the motherload of free wood this weekend. Approx 12 downed trees with easy access on flat ground. Got one dump trailer full on Saturday and will work a couple more loads per week until I have it all home. Will post pics at a later time, but it was a very good score for me. The boys and myself will be busy with me in the upcoming weeks.

Hit the motherload of free wood this weekend. Approx 12 downed trees with easy access on flat ground. Got one dump trailer full on Saturday and will work a couple more loads per week until I have it all home. Will post pics at a later time, but it was a very good score for me. The boys and myself will be busy with me in the upcoming weeks.

Looking forward to pics. What kind of trees did this mother load consist of?:clap:

I am really not sure what it is. It has a smooth type bark but the heart of the wood is very dark and the wood is very dense and heavy. I was thinking it might be some type of hickory.

As a woodworker, I can't help cringe a little when I think of the possibilites that wood would have had coming off the the sawmill.

On the other hand . . . it does burn nice.

Yup... Black walnut for sure... Just make sure it's good and dry before you burn it. It'll be a more pleasant experience. It also splits great...

Yup... Black walnut for sure... Just make sure it's good and dry before you burn it. It'll be a more pleasant experience. It also splits great...

+1 on walnut. It's a medium duty firewood as I call it. It's not oak or hickory! But let it dry for at least a yr before burning!

Last edited:
It's a course you have to take from the state in order to log professionally. Basically they teach you environmental laws and requirements. Silt fences, rules about streams, etc. They don't teach you how to run a chainsaw. It's less than a week long. It's a Kentucky thing.

Ian

Latest posts

Back