Freehanding or any CS milling You can't be too careful.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This video has been posted on the Aussie Wood Workers forum.
[video=youtube;i8tjNliO2iI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tjNliO2iI[/video]
It has taken him a fair bit of courage to post the vid, so rather than just getting hot and bothered and calling him an idiot how about we all learn something from it?

He was stuck for 6 minutes before his yelling attracted the attention of a neighbor who rescued him.

Sawing the log into a smaller pieces was not possible as he had very little fuel.
Sawing his leg and foot off has already been suggested
I would have sacrificed the saw and place is under the log.

Good lesson to learn there, I used to fell trees alone all the time, not so much anymore. As I get older the thought of pain makes me practice safety methods, Joe.

wow. I've never actually freehanded a log in half but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever do. Thanks for posting.

Thankfully it was not a costly learning experience - no major injuries or loss of property. Hopefully no one else goes through that or worse. Ive only tried something similar on one occasion and used cinder blocks on my side of the log to keep it upright. It worked perfectly - which was good because the log in question was from a rather large pin oak.

That must be why I always chock my logs on both sides and ends. Good thing it didn't roll over more than it did.

I free handed a 49" cherry that was 11' long down the center, horizontally, 20" bar and wedges.Once the wedges were driven in it popped right open and didn't fall.

I was cutting a 3 ' walnut in half two 5 ' pieces it had a crotch on left end 460 with a 30" bar, i started on top cutting in to the back ,then all the way down my side wright to the ground . The crotch was up and down and roiled back on the saw brake lever and pined me , the blue stick was about 2' to far to reach and looking at hours , so i used the rear handle for leverage roiled the log back enough to get the pressure off then jerked my hand as the poor saw got run over. If i cant lift it i dont mess with it alone and pay more attention to how a log lays.

I think we all agree that he was lucky. If such a thing would happen to you (me) also remember that a way to release oneself may be to not move the log, but to excavate under ones leg with a twig, knife, branch, (non running) chainsaw bar, scrench etc. This may be easier and safer than trying to move the log. This may also be good advice for any rescuers that may think they can "cut you out" of the situation.

I guess he could have bucked the log up beside his foot if he wasn't near people, but he's lucky he didn't get his leg broken.
I've got a big log that I want to get a slab out of, and this is a good reminder to block it before I get ripping...

wow...glad he is ok..guess I will make sure I have my cellphone with me. I cut alone and out of sight of other people all the time.

wow...glad he is ok..guess I will make sure I have my cellphone with me. I cut alone and out of sight of other people all the time.
I wear Carhartt pants most of the time and my phone is always in the tool pocket on the pant leg, never know when you'll need it....

Latest posts

Back