Friskars Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Friskars has a small camp axe / hatchet that sells for $25 or so. Are they worth buying? I have an estwing around here somewhere, but it would be nice to have something for knocking off branches. I've been using a really old hatchet/hammer combo, that was in the shed when I bought the house. It has a decent edge after hitting it with the grinder, but the balance isn't too good.

Don't know about Fiskars, but I like the way my estwing handles. I put it in a new scabbard last year, and carry it on my belt with my wedges.

I have the x7 and like it. Its well balanced, easy to swing, and the handle is better than any other hatchet I've used (no brand names come to mind). Splits kindly very well. I use it mostly for marking my log cuts and knocking off dirt from skidding. Works really well for my purposes. My only criticism is the soft edge. I'm chopping at dirty bark regularly, and the cutting edge suffers a bit too much imho.

I've probably had this ole estwing 30 years. I replaced the deteriorated scabbard for $5.
sagetown-albums715-177480.jpg

I have one and I like it alot. I use it to split kindling and to debranch some smaller trees i am cutting down for a farmer and it works great. Stays sharp as long as you stay out of the rocks and fence.

I have an Eastwing too. I've had it for 13 or 14 years, maybe longer, not sure. I don't like the handle, its too narrow. The balance is also something that has always bothered me. I used to use it for splitting kindling from 2-by stock, but the head is too narrow to split well compared to other hatchets. Its ok for delimbing or basic chopping. I have a bunch of other, old hatchets that I prefer over the Eastwing, so it sits idle mostly. The Fiskars x-7 blows it away in every regard except edge durability.

My advice on hatchets is to borrow and try as many as you can until you find the one that fits you best for the use it will get. They really are like shoes; one size/style does not fit all.

When I had my Estwing, It seemed really light too me and I could swing it fast. Then when I got my axe from Bailey's it seemed really heavy but works good for knocking off little spurs and stuff :)

I have the x7 it is really nice to use and very balance but I am partial to their axes.

Originally I had a Gerber about the same size as the x7 and it worked great. After 6 months of searching for it I cashed in some reward points and got the x7...promptly found the gerber 3 days after the x7 arrived...story of my life. Anyway, as far as any of the fiskars axes/hatchets goes, you can't go wrong. Has no trouble when put to de-limbing duties. Just wish it came with a nylon belt sheath rather than the stupid plastic carry case. I mean really Fiskars...could you design some thing dumber than a carry case for a hatchet that is less than 10" long?

I have an Eastwing too. I've had it for 13 or 14 years, maybe longer, not sure. I don't like the handle, its too narrow. The balance is also something that has always bothered me. I used to use it for splitting kindling from 2-by stock, but the head is too narrow to split well compared to other hatchets. Its ok for delimbing or basic chopping. I have a bunch of other, old hatchets that I prefer over the Eastwing, so it sits idle mostly. The Fiskars x-7 blows it away in every regard except edge durability.

My advice on hatchets is to borrow and try as many as you can until you find the one that fits you best for the use it will get. They really are like shoes; one size/style does not fit all.

The Estwing is the only hatchet I've owned. Didn't know they could get any better. One never gets too old to learn.:hmm3grin2orange:

Originally I had a Gerber about the same size as the x7 and it worked great. After 6 months of searching for it I cashed in some reward points and got the x7...promptly found the gerber 3 days after the x7 arrived...story of my life. Anyway, as far as any of the fiskars axes/hatchets goes, you can't go wrong. Has no trouble when put to de-limbing duties. Just wish it came with a nylon belt sheath rather than the stupid plastic carry case. I mean really Fiskars...could you design some thing dumber than a carry case for a hatchet that is less than 10" long?

What kind of reward points ?

I've been using an Estwing camping axe for a couple of years for knocking wedges and whatever else and I really like it. The only criticism is the handle is too short for a "real" axe, but you would be hard pressed to tear it up. Really wish Estwing would come out with a real full size axe with some heft to it and a straight handle. The Fiskars stuff is all top rate from what I hear.

ya, the plastic cases are not that great for carrying, but you can slip your belt through the handle and it sort of works.

I think fiskars should incorporate a sharpener into the plastic case.

ya, the plastic cases are not that great for carrying, but you can slip your belt through the handle and it sort of works.

I think fiskars should incorporate a sharpener into the plastic case.

If they stick with the plastic case thingy, then a sharpener would be a huge plus. My choice for the hatchet would be a sheath, and for the exe would be the plastic case thingy with sharpener.

I've been using an Estwing camping axe for a couple of years for knocking wedges and whatever else and I really like it. The only criticism is the handle is too short for a "real" axe, but you would be hard pressed to tear it up. Really wish Estwing would come out with a real full size axe with some heft to it and a straight handle. The Fiskars stuff is all top rate from what I hear.

I have the estwing camp axe as well and I like it except for the nasty vibration you get in the handle. seems like they could have done better with that.

If they stick with the plastic case thingy, then a sharpener would be a huge plus. My choice for the hatchet would be a sheath, and for the exe would be the plastic case thingy with sharpener.

For the hatchet, I was thinking of hauling it with me to the next gun show and poking through old web gear. I am about certain you could find something that would clip on a belt and hold the axe head in place, just cut a slot for the handle to slide through. You could cut the handle part off the fiskars plastic thing and just keep the blade protector part. Or use some scrap leather or whatever.

I have that fiskars sharpener and dang I can not get the thing to sharpen anything at all. I just don't get it, tried every possible way to use it, on a variety of things, fiskars and non fiskars and it does nothing. I see zero difference in any blade before and after any attempt.

Latest posts

Back