From Bowline to Daisy Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't even be with a tree service. But there are plenty around that can't. How hard can it be to go home at night and spend 5 minutes and learn one knot?

Im all for #groundieslivesmatter but ANYTHING that keeps a climber in the spikes longer is bad to me. Ground help can be found and trained much faster then a climber....around here anyway.

Your right. If I’m in spikes waiting for a a Groundie to break a bowline that’s been locked tight, I’m in the tree longer. The daisy chain takes about the same time to tie as a running bow. It’s the time to untie that the savings comes in.

A groundman that can't break a bowline is to be fired with extreme horrible painful and justifiable prejudice.

:buttkick: "You... are... fired! Fired! Fired!"

Perhaps. But you’ve seen it happen plenty I’m sure.
With the Daisy Chain hitch, you remove the tail from the loops and it falls apart....every time.

The position of the half hitch and the ability (or lack there of) of the groundie to let the piece run will also make a big difference in the break ability of the running bow.

Seen what? A bowline lock up? It’s rare, I’ll admit. But the chain falls apart every time.

I with you for the most part though, if it ain’t broke it don’t need fixing. You’ve been at this a lot longer than me.
Old School on that rope stuff all the way. but good news i got a Vermeer Skid Steer today new.

Your right. If I’m in spikes waiting for a a Groundie to break a bowline that’s been locked tight, I’m in the tree longer. The daisy chain takes about the same time to tie as a running bow. It’s the time to untie that the savings comes in.
Your climb
Your call.
Changing the way a climber sets his lines is much more difficult then hiring or training a ground person. I'm looking at it from an owner perspective..
You're looking from a climber. Whatever works for you. But I've never seen a climber rig with a daisy. And there's usually a groundie training another on the jobs I've been on. Rarely are two new ground persons being trained by the climber . Good on you for having that skill.

Your climb
Your call.
Changing the way a climber sets his lines is much more difficult then hiring or training a ground person. I'm looking at it from an owner perspective..
You're looking from a climber. Whatever works for you. But I've never seen a climber rig with a daisy. And there's usually a groundie training another on the jobs I've been on. Rarely are two new ground persons being trained by the climber . Good on you for having that skill.
I always told the young climbers in training if its working dont change it you may get hurt.

Latest posts

Back