FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not overloading my azz, I know a 27cc 2 stroker isn't gonna mess with a 31cc four stroker, its doesn't have near the torque nor rpms. That FS100 tops out at 10,400 rpms, tant no way that 2 stroker gonna mess with it in deep grass or any kind of grass...

And yet the Kawi, being of superior engineering to Stihl, is more powerful.

Sorry Tommy...you can look it up. Eric is right...the Kawi is the mashizzle.

That green thing may run well but I find it hard to believe that it can run with a 100RX, sorry just can't see it happin'.

I hate to admit it, but you're right, 2K.

The only way a Kawi will run with the stihl is if you stuffed a rag in the Kawi's muffler.

The only way a Kawi will run with the stihl is if you stuffed a rag in the Kawi's muffler.

Woodster,

First, it was the screwdriver, the gyroscope, filler neck shortness and vibrating hands on the BG85. Then, you wanted to stuff a rag in a muffler to help the 100RX. Now you're saying TwoKay is right?

Only on AS,

Joat

Speaking of crystal balls, you seem to have one of your own. In total, my trimmer takes care of 13.5 acres of land. You're telling me some college boy working for minimum wage at the local golf club is a professional or the local fire department is putting their trimmer to more use than me and they somehow are professionals, that I should look up to? :laugh:

Degrade me all you want tommy and make me out to be some guy who is only using his trimmer around the sandbox, if it makes you feel better. I don't need the opinion of your so called professionals. I have an opinion of my own and it's based on first hand experience, my hard earned cash (not someone else's) and a lot of sweat. :givebeer:

Only 13.5 acres!
I bet i cut more than that in area with my FS250 in a week and im not doing just edges, The whole area, We use em as lawnmowers.
I use about 7 litres of fuel a day, Sometimes more if im on overtime:)

We have had demo's of many machines and the Stihl FS250 has the power needed and is nearly 2KG lighter than the nearest rivals.

Im still using one that is on its 5th season and is due rings but still runs great!

Woodster,

First, it was the screwdriver, the gyroscope, filler neck shortness and vibrating hands on the BG85. Then, you wanted to stuff a rag in a muffler to help the 100RX. Now you're saying TwoKay is right?

Only on AS,

Joat

I have to back him up on the vibes from the BG85, Officially we can only use them for 20 mins a day because of the vibes.
But I think they have the highest output from a handheld on the market, Mine was clearing grass from paths today that the Dolmar blower we have wouldnt budge.

Tommie,

I ordered my part on the phone yesterday morning. My NEW dealer called at 12:30 today saying the part was in.

You were spot on,

Joat

Tommie,

I ordered my part on the phone yesterday morning. My NEW dealer called at 12:30 today saying the part was in.

You were spot on,

Joat

Jeesh i wish I got service like that!

My piston rings for the 250 arrived today after 2 1/2 weeks!
I even had to get the part no from Thall 4119 034 3003 £10 $14 each! x 2!

And yet the Kawi, being of superior engineering to Stihl, is more powerful.

Sorry Tommy...you can look it up. Eric is right...the Kawi is the mashizzle.

Welp Woodie from you I'd expect no less. Why hell I'm surprised you didn't tell me every Kaw sold comes with a gallon of milk,hehehe

I have to back him up on the vibes from the BG85, Officially we can only use them for 20 mins a day because of the vibes.
But I think they have the highest output from a handheld on the market, Mine was clearing grass from paths today that the Dolmar blower we have wouldnt budge.

True the BG85 does have some vibs. The new BG86 is so smooth why grandma can use it 8 hours non-stop and still go in the house and fix vidles for grandpaw.

Even so Woodie did get a screwdriver lesson he will never forget as long as I'm still kicking,LOLOL

Tommie,

You were spot on,

Joat

Way to go Joat. Just goes to show people make all the differance in the world.

If you get that thing back together and she doesn't run like it should you send me that huzzy. Hell, high water or blizzard I'll get it right and your bill will be a big $O.OO That 30% raise I got from Belgian will more than cover my costs,hahahahaha

Welp Woodie from you I'd expect no less. Why hell I'm surprised you didn't tell me every Kaw sold comes with a gallon of milk,hehehe

So, according to you, the 1.4 hp that the little stihl makes is MORE than the 1.6 the Mighty Kawi makes?

Come on, Tommy...you don't need the new math to figure that one out...

You will have to put that green thing in my hand, let me run it against this 100, then I will decide who is right. This 100 just amazes me with it's power and weight. If the kawa can hang, well fine, I'll Stihl take my 100. Last time I checked out my kawa dealer, he had quads and bikes.;) I'll let them keep on my good side with that said and trust Stihl with OPE.:DThey have not let me down yet.:agree2:

So, according to you, the 1.4 hp that the little stihl makes is MORE than the 1.6 the Mighty Kawi makes?

Come on, Tommy...you don't need the new math to figure that one out...

No not according to me at all. I have no clue what Kawi machine your even talking about. Now Eric and me were going back and forth over his 27cc Kawi 2 cycle verses the 31cc FS100 Stihl 4 cycle. In that case I've never seen or heard of a smaller 2 cycle putting out more torque(power) than a larger 4 cycle, have you??? Now the FS100 turns 10,400 rpms. How many rpms is that Kawi turning???

Only 13.5 acres!
I bet i cut more than that in area with my FS250 in a week and im not doing just edges, The whole area, We use em as lawnmowers.
I use about 7 litres of fuel a day, Sometimes more if im on overtime:)

We have had demo's of many machines and the Stihl FS250 has the power needed and is nearly 2KG lighter than the nearest rivals.

Im still using one that is on its 5th season and is due rings but still runs great!

Yea, Clay I'm sure you do use a lot of gas.....My Stihl did too....Seemed like all I did was walk back to the can for a refill.

When I have that much to mow down I use a wonderful invention, called a brush hog. :cheers:

True the BG85 does have some vibs. The new BG86 is so smooth why grandma can use it 8 hours non-stop and still go in the house and fix vidles for grandpaw.

Even so Woodie did get a screwdriver lesson he will never forget as long as I'm still kicking,LOLOL

I must have missed the screwdriver thing?
Unless it was the screwdriver goes in the wrong side thing lol.

Ive tried a BG86 and yep it was smooth and the controls were nice but i dont think it had the same blow as the 85.

But then again a mate picked up my 85 and said he thought his one needed a tune after using mine.

Yea, Clay I'm sure you do use a lot of gas.....My Stihl did too....Seemed like all I did was walk back to the can for a refill.

When I have that much to mow down I use a wonderful invention, called a brush hog. :cheers:

Yep all that power has to come from the fuel so more power = more fuel yep the tank is a bit small on the 250, Its still 40 mins WOT!

We cut gardens and industrial estates, If we can cut it with the big machines we do, But most of the gardens need strimmed, And i can outcut a mower by 2 gardens to 1.
A strimmer is cheaper than a mower, Cheaper to run, Lasts longer and more reliable!

The guys have tried Huskys and they were not reliable and heavy,
The Echos were really heavy and the Kawa's were not powerful enough and heavy.

No not according to me at all. I have no clue what Kawi machine your even talking about. Now Eric and me were going back and forth over his 27cc Kawi 2 cycle verses the 31cc FS100 Stihl 4 cycle. In that case I've never seen or heard of a smaller 2 cycle putting out more torque(power) than a larger 4 cycle, have you??? Now the FS100 turns 10,400 rpms. How many rpms is that Kawi turning???

The 2-cycle Kawasaki engine that both Eric and I are talking about produces 1.6 hp at 7,000 rpm. I don't know what its max RPM is, and I'm too lazy right now to dig out my OM.

However, we must stand corrected. As it turns out, the engine is NOT 27 cc.

It is only 26.3 cc. My bad.

No offense, Tommy, but we're talking Kawasaki, here. They're considered one of the finest small-engine manufacturers in the world. Their engineering department, on an average day, probably forgets more engine technology than stihl has accumulated in their whole arsenal.

Why do you not think the Kawi wouldn't have it all over the stihl?

Last edited:
Yep all that power has to come from the fuel so more power = more fuel yep the tank is a bit small on the 250, Its still 40 mins WOT!

We cut gardens and industrial estates, If we can cut it with the big machines we do, But most of the gardens need strimmed, And i can outcut a mower by 2 gardens to 1.
A strimmer is cheaper than a mower, Cheaper to run, Lasts longer and more reliable!

The guys have tried Huskys and they were not reliable and heavy,
The Echos were really heavy and the Kawa's were not powerful enough and heavy.

You guys must have some lousy mowers over there, if they're not more reliable and durable than a trimmer. I bought my 60" finish mower, for the tractor, 10 years ago and I imagine it may very well outlive me, if properly taken care of and maintained.

I'd rep ya if I could, since you're a good shot!....Even if you like them clutch rattling, vibrating, gas guzzling, bucket of bolts, weed wips made by Stihl. :laugh:

:givebeer:

Last edited:
Back