Fuel Filter for Pioneer 1073

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dteyn

Reaction score
I've recently acquired a Pioneer 1073 chainsaw. I am a first time chainsaw owner and a friend had this saw kicking around his farm and offered it to me.

Thus far I have replaced the spark plug, got a new air filter (yay eBay), and rebuilt the carb using a carb kit (Oregon part # 49-805, equivalent to Tillotson RK-14HU). So far I have it running nicely but I would like to get a fuel filter on it.

When I went to look at the fuel filter all that's left is the metal pickup head. The filter is long gone, the previous owner must have left the pickup head on the fuel line to keep it submerged in the fuel.

Most people seem to say to just use any common chainsaw fuel filter for this saw and it should work. I've tried a Husqvarna fuel filter (part # 503 44 32-01) which is a very common filter for modern Husky's and it doesn't seem to work. The diaphragm in the carb won't pull fuel with this filter on. I assume it should be a felt filter as the original parts list describes a felt one. Pioneer's original part numbers are 473459 (fuel pick-up assembly), 425670 (felt - pickup), and 429677 (pickup head), if that helps at all.

Can anyone recommend a modern fuel filter that would work on the Pioneer 1073?

Where on planet Earth?

Just drag that bad boy over to your local OPE (outdoor power equipment) dealer and show him what you need.

You fellers that hide your location are screwing yourself. You may have a fellow forum member just around the corner that can help.:angrysoapbox:

I've recently acquired a Pioneer 1073 chainsaw. I am a first time chainsaw owner and a friend had this saw kicking around his farm and offered it to me.

Thus far I have replaced the spark plug, got a new air filter (yay eBay), and rebuilt the carb using a carb kit (Oregon part # 49-805, equivalent to Tillotson RK-14HU). So far I have it running nicely but I would like to get a fuel filter on it.

When I went to look at the fuel filter all that's left is the metal pickup head. The filter is long gone, the previous owner must have left the pickup head on the fuel line to keep it submerged in the fuel.

Most people seem to say to just use any common chainsaw fuel filter for this saw and it should work. I've tried a Husqvarna fuel filter (part # 503 44 32-01) which is a very common filter for modern Husky's and it doesn't seem to work. The diaphragm in the carb won't pull fuel with this filter on. I assume it should be a felt filter as the original parts list describes a felt one. Pioneer's original part numbers are 473459 (fuel pick-up assembly), 425670 (felt - pickup), and 429677 (pickup head), if that helps at all.

Can anyone recommend a modern fuel filter that would work on the Pioneer 1073?

I've got a box of those filters so if you'll PM me your mailing address I'll send you a couple. Dan
:msp_thumbup:

Thanks to Dan's generosity, I now have a fuel filter in my Pioneer 1073 that works perfectly.

From what I can tell, it looks like the filter Dan sent is an Oregon 07-206 filter. This is what one looks like:
wjanhl.jpg

When I first got the saw, the owner said it hadn't been running in a couple of years. After checking for spark and compression, I decided I would pursue restoring it to running condition. As I mentioned previously I replaced the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter (thanks Dan!) and rebuilt the carb using Oregon part # 49-805.

The starter recoil on my saw also needed a lot of TLC. Initially I would get one good pull of the starter cord before having to feed it back in slowly and painstakingly. I decided to tackle rebuilding the starter. I just finished rebuilding it and let me tell you, it's sure one interesting ordeal for a newbie. :)

After having some trouble trying to rewind the coil spring, I figured someone had to have figured out a better way without needing some special tool. I found a YouTube video that was and is a true blessing. The trick is to use a nail and a flat surface to rewind the coil spring, and then tie a ziptie around the spring to hold it in place. I then used a pair of needlenose pliers to firmly grip the spring while I clipped the ziptie, then carefully placed the spring into the housing and let it expand slowly while holding it in place. I ended up doing this so many times that it now seems a trivial task! :msp_biggrin:

I fully cleaned every part inside the recoil with brake cleaner and replaced the starter rope with a fresh length. I put everything back together, and satisfied with my efforts tried to start the saw. The same issue happened: the recoil fed in really slow and painstakingly. Looking closely, I could see the problem was the yoke around the starter pinion gripped too firmly due to corrosion, causing it to stick and not allow proper retraction.

The only thing I could think of that would lubricate this groove without causing dirt and grime buildup was graphite lubricant, normally used for locks. After several applications the yoke now slides smoothly around the pinion, and with the recoil back on the saw my 1073 now pulls like a brand new saw. For good measure I also put some graphite lubricant between the pinion and the spiral shaft that it slides on. It seems to work very nicely. :msp_biggrin:

Today I tried to start the saw and with the choke on, it took about 5 pulls before it initially fired. Turned the choke off and it fired up just like it should. I will take some pictures soon of this saw to post. I'm really proud of my first chainsaw rebuild, as you can probably tell. :)

Latest posts

Back