Fuel filter half submerged question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Jonsered 625 that had been giving me fits lately. It is new to me and needed many parts to make it a useable saw again. It would start only after many many pulls then only run a few seconds then stall again. I had yesterday off so I went to take a look again . I checked compression 169# impulse line in good shape yada yada. I checked the fuel level and it looked low, so I left the cap off and sat the saw upright like it would be if it were being started or ran. The filter was only about 1/2 submerged. I filled the tank choked it for a few pulls then it started up. It seems to run fine. Did I cure the issue by just adding enough fuel to cover the filter? Was it just drawing in more air than fuel? I think so the fuel line is a new appropriate Jonsered fuel line but it really does not let the filter lie on the tank bottom.

Crack or hole in fuel line above fuel level will suck air and act like you're describing. Change fuel line

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The filter should be laying on the bottom of the tank, with enough length to move around with the fuel... I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Efisher26. If your filter is laying on the bottom of the tank and only half submerged, then you are likely just sucking air due to being low on fuel in the tank. But if the filter does not lay on the bottom....then there is a problem with that fuel line being too short.

The line is new and yes I agree the line is too short. I guess this will be a short thread, but I just wanted to know the opinions and see if I had come to the same conclusion. As far as I can see if the filter is only half submerged and that it would be easier to suck air than fuel I would suppose. This line is a "fitted" line with grommet. The line order I placed came to me with a coil of line and this "fitted"/ grometed line. The one in the saw had the grommet on it so I installed the new line with the grommet it. I will have to check maybe I can re-position it to "lie" better inside the tank but I don't think I can ,now I am wondering if the coiled line might be the one that is needed on it ?
shopping
shopping

I’d assume the coil would allow it to move around more in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back