Fuel Line Replacements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What's the trick to replacing a fuel line? I never had that much problem until I picked up 6 Poulans for free. 4 of them the fuel lines have pin holes in them. I have 2 295's, 1 220 Pro's and 1 wild thing plus some other parts saws. So I bought the line and was trying to replace them but I don't know how to get a bigger line in a smaller hole without putting a hole it. SO, is there something I'm missing on this one??? :confused:

Cut the end of the fuel hose at a very sharp angle. Dip the sharp end in some two-stroke oil. Feed the sharp end through the hole drilled in the fuel tank. Reach inside the fuel tank with a long set of needle nose plier and grip the sharp end of the hose. Gently pull the hose through so you have some hanging out the filler cap hole. Cut the end square, attach the fuel pick up filter, feed the pickup filter and hose back into the fuel tank. Replace the fuel cap, and attach the other end to your carb.

Nick

Sorry to hijack this thread but I bought a new molded fuel line for my 268XP. Should I install it from the top down into the tank or from the the tank up?

What's the trick to replacing a fuel line? I never had that much problem until I picked up 6 Poulans for free. 4 of them the fuel lines have pin holes in them. I have 2 295's, 1 220 Pro's and 1 wild thing plus some other parts saws. So I bought the line and was trying to replace them but I don't know how to get a bigger line in a smaller hole without putting a hole it. SO, is there something I'm missing on this one??? :confused:

pretty much what nick said, I shave off about 3/4 in and stick it tru the hole lube it with silicone grese and pull it tru with sharp nosed pliers. If you are replaceing the larger line it has a small nipple on it that will fall into the tank when you pull it out so don,t lose it, install it the same way

I agree with Nicolas. If you don't have needle nose long enough, make a small hole half way up your sharp angle cut and put some small wire through it and fish it through. This works best with Tygon, the wire does not rip out.

I agree with Nicolas. If you don't have needle nose long enough, make a small hole half way up your sharp angle cut and put some small wire through it and fish it through. This works best with Tygon, the wire does not rip out.

+1 I had the same dilemma until I figured this out. I initially used fishing line, but I found the smallest wire for picture frames from like Lowe's works great.

Yep, I'll back up that hemostat use a third time. My 394 drove me nuts until I used a piece of soft iron wire stuck through the carb plate hole and tank hole as a guide and slipped the hose along it with the wire inside. That tiny sliver of hose peeking through the hole was all I could get ahold of with the 'stats, but they did the job.

A couple of dental picks and a dental mirror are in my toolbox too. Good things to have.

Good advice, I had to do just that with a Homelite 410. The only way it could have been done.

I also have 2 pairs of hemostat's and wouldn't want to be without them, I use them all the time.

I replaced that tiny fuel line on my old Pullon model 2900 today. The fuel line that was on this one kept cracking from dry rot where it meets the carb. Not having any of that real small fuel line, and not wanting to drive across town to the only Hobby Shop that carries it, I decided to use the standard tygon yellow line with a standard size walbro felt fuel filter.

I drilled out the tank's fuel line access to 9/64. This provides for a good seal with the larger line and for good fuel flow. I then cut the fuel line long ways with a pair of scissors to give a good 3 inches to grab inside the tank. Pull the new fuel line down into the tank and remove that section that is cut to feed through the hole. Put on the filter and your ready to go. Better than new.

Best wishes,
Bob

The last time I replaced a fuel line, I lubed the outside of fuel line with Astroglide jelly. The new fuel line popped thru the tight-fitting grommet and slid down into the fuel tank slicker than a whistle. I didn't even have to cut the fuel line at an angle, nor did I need to coax it thru the grommet with a hemostat. I then pulled the end of the fuel line out of the fuel tank to install a fuel filter. Astroglide is a water-based lube. Hence, it won't degrade rubber.
:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back