Fuel/Oil AGAIN!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello.
Sorry to bring this subject up yet again.
I found this Husqvarna and Stihl service bulletin and was wondering if any one else had seen it?

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbctw/new_page_1.htm#Husqvarna Service Bulletin

I'm interested in what the Husky one states about fuel/oil mix, as I'm still an old 50:1 bloke.
I would love to know if these articles are for real or not?
What do you think?

hey stumper,i agree .. do you find that synthetic is necessary to prevent plug fouling.. how does it play . ive assumed the synthetic was why the plugs didnt foul.. thank.

I run 32-1 in everything and have done so for years without and plug fouling problems. The most likely causes of plug fouling are an excessively rich mixture or a lack of compression, both of which lead to lowering of combustion temps.
John....

Marketing Stragedy

These are the mix ratios taken from the owners manuels of the following saws. Dates of manuals included.

Poulan 2300 (1988) Poulan mix 40:1 , non-Poulan 16:1
Husky 23 compact (1993) Husky mix 50:1, nonhusky 32:1
Makita dcs540 (2004) Makita mix 50:1, non-Makita 40:1
Stihl 026 (1985) Stihl mix 50/40:1, non-Stihl 25:1

Could it be that there are huge profit margins in oil? Poulan,Husky,Stihl say "use our oil and you buy 1/2 as much, save 50%" It doesn't appear to me that protecting the engine, my engine, is the primary motive. Do you guys see it this way? Am I wrong?

sawdust said:
...Could it be that there are huge profit margins in oil? Poulan,Husky,Stihl say "use our oil and you buy 1/2 as much, save 50%" It doesn't appear to me that protecting the engine, my engine, is the primary motive. Do you guys see it this way? Am I wrong?

You could be right, but maybe the companies are just saying that they have confidence in their own products and can't vouch for all of the others.

I sell high quality firewood. If someone asked me how much firewood they need to heat their home for the winter, I might say 4 cords of my wood, or up to 8 cords if purchased from some other source. That would be a true statement because someone else could sell them a load of cheap firewood that's primarily big tooth aspen. In essence, all I'm saying is that I know exactly what to expect with my product, otherwise all bets are off.

All that said, you may have hit the nail on the head.

Joe

Ok new to this. Ran 40-1 and was able to switch it to 30-1 for lube reasons for the saw. No plug fouling after 4 truck loads. 3.2 oz oil to 1 gal gave me the 40-1, 6.4 to 2 gal gave me 40-1, So I did 9.6 oil to 2 gal to come up with 30-1. Is this right? Where do you guys get 32-1 ratio from? would 4.9 oz oil to the 1 gal give me my 30-1 ratio too? Just trying to figure this crap out. Just fixed my scored cylinder and piston and would rather add the extra lube.

I prefer to use a RatioRite cup. Takes all the guesswork, math, etc out of mixing.

But to answer your question; 4.26 oz for 30:1. Your 9.6 in 2 gallons is a little richer at about 26:1.

Timbermaster said:
Ok new to this. Ran 40-1 and was able to switch it to 30-1 for lube reasons for the saw. No plug fouling after 4 truck loads. 3.2 oz oil to 1 gal gave me the 40-1, 6.4 to 2 gal gave me 40-1, So I did 9.6 oil to 2 gal to come up with 30-1. Is this right? Where do you guys get 32-1 ratio from? would 4.9 oz oil to the 1 gal give me my 30-1 ratio too? Just trying to figure this crap out. Just fixed my scored cylinder and piston and would rather add the extra lube.
32-1 is very easy to figure out because there is 32oz/quart and four quarts to the gallon. Just mix 4oz of oil for each gallon of gas or 1oz of oil for each quart of gas. I think this may be one of the reasons for the popularity of the 32-1 ratio. It's very easy to calculate.
John........

Ok , but my oils mix at 3.2 oz to get 40-1 see. thats why the difference.

whatsnext said:
32-1 is very easy to figure out because there is 32oz/quart and four quarts to the gallon. Just mix 4oz of oil for each gallon of gas or 1oz of oil for each quart of gas. I think this may be one of the reasons for the popularity of the 32-1 ratio. It's very easy to calculate.
John........

OK it just sunk in thanks lol.

Mix ratios:

Hello. First there is 128 oz of gas/gallon. Divide that by the mix ratio you want. Be it 100/1, 50/1, 40/1, 32/1, 24/1, 16/1, etc. Example: 128 oz/gallon divided by say 32 for a 32/1 mix equals 4 oz of oil/gallon. Fairly simple, you just have to know the total number of oz of gas/gallon. If your mixing up say 5 gallons of mix, it's 5 gallons X 128 oz/gallon = 640 oz of gas / by say 32 = 20oz of oil added to get 32/1 mix. Just take the total oz of gas your mixing and divide by the mix ratio to get the amount of oil you need to add. Ok, take care. Lewis.

With Husqvama Two Stroke Oil, we recommend a minimum fuel: oil ratio of 50:1, up to a maximum of 25:1. Engine capacity of 80cc is deemed to he the crossover point to vary from the lower oil mix ratio to the higher however for machines close to this parameter we recommend a mix of 33:1 be considered (i.e. 359, 3Q5 Special and 372XP).

Richer mixtures with a higher oil ratio (but not richer than 25:1), should also be considered when environmental conditions are presenting consistently high ambient temperatures. An increase in oil content will provide improved engine protection through increased lubrication and a decrease of engine operating temperatures.

Wow! This comes from the horse's mouth so-to-speak (Husky).

This contradicts what Dagger said about cooling....

Sounds like Husky thinks I should be using 25:1 in a 90cc saw like my Solo 690. However, Solo says 40:1.

So what gives?

Solo is the manufacturer so you go with their recommendation for their product.

Oil mix ratios:

Hello to all. At the last GTG, I used a 16/1 mix in a couple of old saws I demonstrated. Not only did they smoke pretty bad, but shot all sorts of unburned oil out the exhaust. I used the 16/1 mix because that's what the saws called for and it was my first time using them to cut any wood, wanted to see just how they would work with it and to protect the saws. Course the oil use then was 30w non-detergent low grade oil. I have used Mobil MX2T in them to start and run them at 32/1 mix and everything seemed to me to be well coated with oil and of course less smoke. I think now that I'll go to 32/1 mix for all the saws, except for a couple of the oldest (may use 24/1 in them). With today's improved oils the saws should do just fine at those ratios. One saw, the Homelite 5-20 calls for a 10/1 ratio. I've ran 32/1 in that saw while cutting wood and everything went well. I'm somewhat old schooled, and can't see running 50/1 mixes, let alone 100/1 mix. You might be able to do it, save some money, but for how long? What life expectancy do you plan to get from the saw? Just some rambling thoughts. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
I use Aspen in the newer saws I have, that run on it before. Nice to know it is correct at any given moment. Too bad you yank's can't get it there......
The other new ones I use HVA two stoke + 92 octane.
Those old Madams get 5-15% oil mix, depending on what they need.
I mix 1% in the diesel too, have not started them yet, but will soon.

I recommend to use whatever the manual say, all money spent on research must be worth something.
Besides it is better to be safe than sorry.

Back