Fuel/Oil AGAIN!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis I remember as a very young fellow my dad getting the oil changed in the car before leaving on vacation. We would travel to Maine to visit aunts and uncles and when we got back dad would get the oil and filter changed again. Oil changes were recommended every 500 miles back then on cars. Today I run mine 7500 miles between changes on Synthetic oil with out a problem.

Oil & additives have come a long way.

Ok what about this smokeless formula. My dad stated that you got to be running the carb to lean cause it aint smoking. But I got the high and low screw both at 1 turn 1/10th. Should be on the rich side right? But no smoke.

I'll try and explain that to my old school dad. But you know how that goes. Thanks.

max2cam said:
Wow! This comes from the horse's mouth so-to-speak (Husky).This contradicts what Dagger said about cooling....
Sounds like Husky thinks I should be using 25:1 in a 90cc saw like my Solo 690. However, Solo says 40:1.

So what gives?

The Husky manual that came with my 395 (last fall) also said the same thing, that their saws over 80cc should be run 33:1. Even though I later found another Husky manual that said all their saws 50:1, I still err on the side that makes me feel safer about my $1000 investment, and use 32:1. Obviously there seem to be good arguments on both sides of this issue, but so far nobody has conclusively convinced me, and backed up their convictions with tests and solid fact, that running 33:1 or 40:1 is BAD for any of my saws. If only for that reason and no other, I will continue to run with a slightly richer mix in all my saws. It's a cheap peace of mind.

bwalker said:
BTW max i think they are saying use less oil in a 80+cc saw, which make sense. i run everyhting at 32:1 regardless.

I read the quoted material again and you could be right. But it's not very clear as written. Please tell. Why would using LESS oil in a 80cc and larger saw make sense?

I was mixing at 40:1 but the gallon yesterday to finish up my milling for the year was 32:1.

Because typicaly big bores are easier on oil and they rev lower. All bets are off when it comes to milling. If I where milling i would use at least 20:1 and a very high quality gas as well.

bwalker said:
Because typicaly big bores are easier on oil and they rev lower. All bets are off when it comes to milling. If I where milling i would use at least 20:1 and a very high quality gas as well.

My milling is done with a simple lumber-maker style guide and NOT the wide-open-all-the-time (WOATT) of a fancier mill. IOW, the saw "turns on" and then revs down regularly as I move down the log. I don't think that's as hard a usage -- but hard enough.

I do use premium (92 octane) gas.

Oil Changes:

Hello Lobo. Yes oils have come a long way. My problem is I don't only put 3-4000 miles a year on my truck, since I retired. My car is even less. Changed the oil in the truck last spring and the truck now has 4.400 miles on that change. I see that Moblil has this extended life oil, so may try it. But, my feelings would be to change the oil filter say at the 4,000 mile mark and add a fresh qt. of oil. The newer oils don't necessarily wear out, but gets dirty, so I feel that I'd change the filter more offen. Ha, year before last only drove the car 4 times, but am driving it more during the summer, because of better gas milage. I use Mobil 1 oil in everything I own and have for years. Great stuff. OK, talk later. Lewis.

Latest posts

Back